Shadow Raptor Cassette Hub

Related:
Create New Tag

10/29/2013 9:05 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/29/2013 9:06 AM

Ok, so I've heard a lot of bad experiences with this hub lately, but I also heard that through the 2012 production year they had a recall on this Hub. I want to know what experiences people have had with this hub. If they like it, or don't. I'm looking into getting one but I grind and I want to know how well the hub and axle holds up. Also, don't say "Run primo" I'm not looking for Primo parts. I want to know about the Raptor Hub.

|

United Bike Co







The Shadow Conspiracy




"Whats the point in 3 pegs? What is it, 10oz for a peg? Just put the 4th one on! Jeez!"

10/29/2013 9:09 AM

if you keep up regular maintenance it's a great hub, few friends and i have ran them with no issues at all they roll super smooth and have near instant engagement couldn't ask for more

|

Refs







trades: Phocraken (beats for volume frame), The_bmxist (profiles for hollowbites), livefreeordie233 x2 (hollowbites for sd frame then noctis cranks for fit indents), Zachary_ (freecoaster for federal frame), Rascio (sold piv. seat), MaximusBikes (sold s3.5 frame)

10/29/2013 9:19 AM

I know a dude that got one on preorder when they came out and he has been on the same one since. He only had a to replace his axel this past year due to it bending. That's a long ass time on the same hub, he never even opens it

|

I seek progression, not perfection.

Refs:Beastassdickwink~Dk/oldschool908~TheLilozzy~jaypee23~Bstick~agfracing~MoyBoy5~RIDE a BIKE~wade5~Mattmuldoon@hotmail.com x2~jakebikes~ joe loves shadow~ diss diqq~ k1ng~fly for life x2~spikez5~four~jb07~mike duda~ DORbmx~ bobPA~superstarDK

10/29/2013 9:26 AM

future FBM wrote:

I know a dude that got one on preorder when they came out and he has been on the same one since. He only had a to replace his axel this past year due to it bending. That's a long ass time on the same hub, he never even opens it

Ok, This makes me feel more safe in getting it now. I also was thinking too, that since Idc about weight at all, I might get the solid axle that they make for it.

|

United Bike Co







The Shadow Conspiracy




"Whats the point in 3 pegs? What is it, 10oz for a peg? Just put the 4th one on! Jeez!"

10/29/2013 9:32 AM

future FBM wrote:

I know a dude that got one on preorder when they came out and he has been on the same one since. He only had a to replace his axel this past year due to it bending. That's a long ass time on the same hub, he never even opens it

GTRPLR1995 wrote:

Ok, This makes me feel more safe in getting it now. I also was thinking too, that since Idc about weight at all, I might get the solid axle that they make for it.

Get the BTR. Same hub but with a 17mm axle and 14mm female bolts.

|

I seek progression, not perfection.

Refs:Beastassdickwink~Dk/oldschool908~TheLilozzy~jaypee23~Bstick~agfracing~MoyBoy5~RIDE a BIKE~wade5~Mattmuldoon@hotmail.com x2~jakebikes~ joe loves shadow~ diss diqq~ k1ng~fly for life x2~spikez5~four~jb07~mike duda~ DORbmx~ bobPA~superstarDK

10/29/2013 9:44 AM

future FBM wrote:

I know a dude that got one on preorder when they came out and he has been on the same one since. He only had a to replace his axel this past year due to it bending. That's a long ass time on the same hub, he never even opens it

GTRPLR1995 wrote:

Ok, This makes me feel more safe in getting it now. I also was thinking too, that since Idc about weight at all, I might get the solid axle that they make for it.

future FBM wrote:

Get the BTR. Same hub but with a 17mm axle and 14mm female bolts.

I would but I had already purchased a raptor hub guard when I learned about the issue they had.

|

United Bike Co







The Shadow Conspiracy




"Whats the point in 3 pegs? What is it, 10oz for a peg? Just put the 4th one on! Jeez!"

10/29/2013 11:00 AM

A buddy has had his for over a year with minimal issues, he blew up the one he had before learning hop whips and landing hard.

Fat kids problems haha.

I know it is not shadow, but I have Demo Rogue with ZERO issues. LOVE it.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/29/2013 11:08 AM

Lots of people talk shit on shadow I've never had a bad experience with their parts ....Seth kembroughs been on the team forever I'm sure he beats his bike up allot more then the shit talkers

|

10/29/2013 11:34 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

A buddy has had his for over a year with minimal issues, he blew up the one he had before learning hop whips and landing hard.

Fat kids problems haha.

I know it is not shadow, but I have Demo Rogue with ZERO issues. LOVE it.

I have heard good things about the demo one but the bike im building im trying to stay mostly shadow parts with exceptions to certain parts because I really like shadow products. Thanks for the input though.

|

United Bike Co







The Shadow Conspiracy




"Whats the point in 3 pegs? What is it, 10oz for a peg? Just put the 4th one on! Jeez!"

10/29/2013 11:36 AM

eskimojay wrote:

Lots of people talk shit on shadow I've never had a bad experience with their parts ....Seth kembroughs been on the team forever I'm sure he beats his bike up allot more then the shit talkers

Anyone that talks crap on shadow are just plain idiots. lol They have some of the best quality parts IMO.

|

United Bike Co







The Shadow Conspiracy




"Whats the point in 3 pegs? What is it, 10oz for a peg? Just put the 4th one on! Jeez!"

10/29/2013 12:07 PM

eskimojay wrote:

Lots of people talk shit on shadow I've never had a bad experience with their parts ....Seth kembroughs been on the team forever I'm sure he beats his bike up allot more then the shit talkers

GTRPLR1995 wrote:

Anyone that talks crap on shadow are just plain idiots. lol They have some of the best quality parts IMO.

they've had a few shaky parts i've snapped their attack front load and i've heard a lot of others have as well, the torrid cranks i guess where also prone to snapping..every company is bound to have a flawed product or two but shadow is an amazing company, i've ran the creeper v3 forks (gave them a serious beating too, tough as nails), vultus bars, running the orbis/stun and oribis/orbis hoop sets and love them, noctis cranks, scream and cage sprockets, and the hub set is one of the best i've ever ran the only complaint is the cassette is too loud but a lot of people would view that as a positive

|

Refs







trades: Phocraken (beats for volume frame), The_bmxist (profiles for hollowbites), livefreeordie233 x2 (hollowbites for sd frame then noctis cranks for fit indents), Zachary_ (freecoaster for federal frame), Rascio (sold piv. seat), MaximusBikes (sold s3.5 frame)

10/29/2013 12:43 PM

GTRPLR1995 wrote:

Anyone that talks crap on shadow are just plain idiots. lol They have some of the best quality parts IMO.

I talk shit on shadow all the time & I'm not an idiot. Fuck them. Broke too many of their parts & their warranty department was shit to me. That being said, the Raptor hub is a solid hub. Same with the BTR. As much as I'm against shadow parts myself, I can at least acknowledge they have SOME good parts

|

10/29/2013 1:05 PM

Not a fan of shadow. Probably gonna pick up their detangler and I would run the hubs though they wouldn't be my first choice. Also, I heard hollow axles are actually stronger, so avoid the solids. Dont know the logic behind it but that's what others have said.

|




Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx


10/29/2013 1:20 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Not a fan of shadow. Probably gonna pick up their detangler and I would run the hubs though they wouldn't be my first choice. Also, I heard hollow axles are actually stronger, so avoid the solids. Dont know the logic behind it but that's what others have said.

A thicker hollow Axle will be stronger than a solid one with the same amount of material. but a solid axle will be stronger than a hollow one the same diameter (If they're made of the same material obviously).

|

10/29/2013 1:26 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Not a fan of shadow. Probably gonna pick up their detangler and I would run the hubs though they wouldn't be my first choice. Also, I heard hollow axles are actually stronger, so avoid the solids. Dont know the logic behind it but that's what others have said.

BMX_Forever wrote:

A thicker hollow Axle will be stronger than a solid one with the same amount of material. but a solid axle will be stronger than a hollow one the same diameter (If they're made of the same material obviously).

Idunno. It wasn't too long ago on another thread, few people said hollow 14mm is stronger than solid 14mm. For some reason it makes sense to me but at the same time it doesn't.

|




Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx


10/30/2013 7:34 PM

Run Primo







Sorry , had too tongue

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

10/30/2013 7:38 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

Run Primo







Sorry , had too tongue

I like you.
Lol

|




Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx


10/30/2013 7:54 PM

A dude on here sold me one 2 weeks ago with a bent axle and the non-drive side was missing an extra locknut. If I tighten the cone nuts super hard, it might slow down the hub. And I also wasn't surprised that the axle was bent. I mean, look at the hollow 8mm! Anyhow, apart from those two, I could just replace the axle for $24 and get the extra non-drive locknut for $3 and it'd be like new.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update





Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

10/30/2013 9:52 PM

My raptor is beat to all hell and still pretty good ahah

|

10/31/2013 10:49 AM

SurfaceWipes wrote:

My raptor is beat to all hell and still pretty good ahah

You do grinds and stuff too?

|

United Bike Co







The Shadow Conspiracy




"Whats the point in 3 pegs? What is it, 10oz for a peg? Just put the 4th one on! Jeez!"