Shadow bars?

Related:
Create New Tag

6/26/2016 6:20 AM

Right now I'm riding the sunday tall-T bars which have 12 backsweep and 4 up.
Im looking for taller bars (these are 8.7 and I'm 6 feet tall). In my country I don't have a lot of choices.
My wrists aren't very strong and I have heard that the higher the upsweep the less wrist pain you will feel.

So far the Shadow Vultrus is the only bar which sounds fine, 3 upsweep (most bars offered here have 1 upsweep), 9.5 tall.
However the backsweep is 10, which is 2 degrees less than the Sunday.

My question is what difference would that backsweep make in my riding?
And also has anyone tried these bars? Do you have any opinion on them?

Thanks a lot

|

6/26/2016 7:40 AM

Everyone's different and prefer different things. 9" bars are too tall for me, and I can't ride bars with less than 3 up and 11ish back because they don't feel right. But some people don't even notice the difference. What stem have you got? If you really like your bars but want more rise you could get a higher rise stem?

|

6/26/2016 9:15 AM

Just something to think about is that the shadow bars are really flexy. Since you are coming off sunday bars (the tend to be really stiff) the shadow ones may feel a little like a wet noodle on drops and hops compared to the sunday ones. I switched from sunday triumph xl to shadow vultus, hated them and within a few months switched back to the sunday ones.

|

6/26/2016 9:37 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Everyone's different and prefer different things. 9" bars are too tall for me, and I can't ride bars with less than 3 up and 11ish back because they don't feel right. But some people don't even notice the difference. What stem have you got? If you really like your bars but want more rise you could get a higher rise stem?

I have an front load flipped upside down with 4 spacers, so there is nothing I can do with the stem.

|

6/26/2016 9:38 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/26/2016 9:39 AM

RIDEboarder wrote:

Just something to think about is that the shadow bars are really flexy. Since you are coming off sunday bars (the tend to be really stiff) the shadow ones may feel a little like a wet noodle on drops and hops compared to the sunday ones. I switched from sunday triumph xl to shadow vultus, hated them and within a few months switched back to the sunday ones.

What do you mean by 'flexy'? I mean could you describe the feeling and the difference with sunday?
I never knew that bars feel different (apart from height/geometry)

|

6/26/2016 12:22 PM

Get a proper topload with a higher rise, it'll be higher than an upside down front load by about 1/4". Which is pretty much the same height difference you'll get from those bars. If that's still too low then you'd need even higher bars.
What I'm trying to say is if you want a noticeable difference, those bars won't be high enough. Go for some 9.5" and if it's too high, flip your stem the right way or lose a spacer

|

6/26/2016 4:15 PM

Obviously they are going to feel different geometry wise because they are different. What I mean by flexy is when you land they flex downwards. All bars do but the shadow ones feel even more prominent.

|

6/28/2016 10:30 AM

RIDEboarder wrote:

Obviously they are going to feel different geometry wise because they are different. What I mean by flexy is when you land they flex downwards. All bars do but the shadow ones feel even more prominent.

Doesn't that reduce stress on your wrists? Because my wrists hurt from time to time (that's why I won't go below 3 degrees upsweep)

|

6/28/2016 11:47 AM

Check out the odyssey sweep stakes. Personally I love upsweep

|

Da Laird

unfuckwithable ill

Refs-brokenbmx, MaximusBikes, Brian_Griffin, Colonydirt94, Aebasher

6/28/2016 2:14 PM

RIDEboarder wrote:

kisame2660 wrote:

Doesn't that reduce stress on your wrists? Because my wrists hurt from time to time (that's why I won't go below 3 degrees upsweep)

Yes, but it can also aid in bending the bars IF the flex cannot handle the force from the landing.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

6/28/2016 3:35 PM

I've only owned one pair of shadow bars.
The reason I got new bars was because I wanted American 4 piece bars.

I've owned the Ben Huke Local bars for well over a year or so without any issues.

Specs 9" rise 29" wide 10 degrees backsweep 1 degree upsweep

If you have your heart set on Shadow bars I highly recommend these bars.

They also have a 10" rise version as well if you wanna go crazy with height.

|

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
I'm Mr. Meeseeks, Looks at me!

6/29/2016 11:13 AM

I'm not doing huge drops/airs so it would be fine I guess

However, no one answered my main question - what difference would the minus 2 degrees in backsweep make?

|