Shadow disaster sprocket guard experiment!

Related:
Create New Tag

2/26/2018 10:57 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/26/2018 11:03 PM

Just bought a used one yo tinker with.

I am going to see if I can get it to work with a 23t sprocket. Picked it up for 10 bucks, figured its worth a try. Im handy with a angle grinder...lolPhoto

I will post my findings here for anyone interested.

If there is no possible way, i have a couple 25t sprockets to use with it. My odyssey fang would probably be pretty mean with it.

|

2/26/2018 11:00 PM

Sounds like a plan!

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

2/27/2018 12:07 AM

The centre bore and sprocket bolt hole is in the right place already. But the over hang might interfere with the chain. Not sure how much material I'd be confident in removing and still having a guard that'll do its job. I'm actually more interested in how it affects the spacing of the crsnks/chainline!

|

2/27/2018 3:48 AM

What sprocket is this meant for then? Are they universal ones? Really interested in getting one myself.

|

If I could go a tenth as high as Larry Edgar goes, then I would still be blasting super high.

2/27/2018 5:00 AM

Aitkenisgod wrote:

What sprocket is this meant for then? Are they universal ones? Really interested in getting one myself.

Yeah they're universal. The instructions say to remove any spacers you have behind the sprocket, then put this on the outside of the sprocket, so you don't space the crank arm out too much. I'm tempted, but I think I'd rather just buy a good guarded sprocket and know my spacing will be the same

|

2/27/2018 8:52 AM

Aitkenisgod wrote:

Not sure its still made but they had a double sided universal guard at one point. You could do switch or just flip it around when one side got too beat up.

|

2/27/2018 9:56 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/27/2018 9:57 AM

Hmm. You just reminded me I have one of these. Might throw it back on for funsies

Also, it probably wont work. Look at where the bolt holes are.

|

3/1/2018 11:43 AM

23t uses different spacing on the holes. Isn't it micro drive or something? I don't think it would work.

|

3/1/2018 12:07 PM

ggallin422 wrote:

23t uses different spacing on the holes. Isn't it micro drive or something? I don't think it would work.

23t uses the same hole spacing as standard. I believe 22t is where it transitions. Might be 21t as well, i have heard people using standard cranks with 22t but I have not tried it personally.

|

3/1/2018 12:54 PM

The holes are the same. The issue will be with the shape of the guard itself. It's designed to clear the chain on a 25t sprocket, so it won't clear the chain/teeth on a 23t

|

3/1/2018 1:59 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

The holes are the same. The issue will be with the shape of the guard itself. It's designed to clear the chain on a 25t ...more

Correct. I had planned on taking an angle grinder to the unit to make room for the chain. Unfortunately it doesnt apprear it will be worth it. I will however be using it with a 25t I have.

|

3/1/2018 8:11 PM

Why would someone run a 23t. They probably look like Fred Fred Flinstone any time the want to hit something other than a foot tall ledge.

|

3/1/2018 8:19 PM

sean_gillis wrote:

Why would someone run a 23t. They probably look like Fred Fred Flinstone any time the want to hit something other than a foot ...more

Bullet has a bad ankle/foot so the 23t helps him not put so much pessure on his foot, it just makes it easier fr him to pedal around...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

3/1/2018 9:16 PM

sean_gillis wrote:

Why would someone run a 23t. They probably look like Fred Fred Flinstone any time the want to hit something other than a foot ...more

Why dont you ask the op?

|