Shadow supreme chain noise

Related:
Create New Tag

12/29/2018 4:41 PM

I just got a shadow supreme chain and put it on my bike. It makes this weird noise. I want to know if its normal for a new chain to make this noise or if it not.

|

12/29/2018 4:52 PM

I always had the same noise from mine. I always put it down to the chain "sticking" to the driver/sprocket(any given link would hit the next tooth over as it came off the driver/sprocket) or that the chain plates were sitting directly on the driver body(which eventually wore small grooves into the driver body).

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

12/29/2018 5:04 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

I always had the same noise from mine. I always put it down to the chain "sticking" to the driver/sprocket(any given link ...more

Oh that makes sense but does it eventually go away

|

12/29/2018 5:09 PM

Matthew_Garner wrote:

Oh that makes sense but does it eventually go away

Take note of the "always" at the beginning of my previous post. wink

It did quiet down a little over time but it never fully went away.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

12/29/2018 5:23 PM

You driveline alignment is off...

|

12/29/2018 5:32 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/29/2018 5:47 PM

When was the las time you greased your hub?

|

12/29/2018 5:51 PM

bobPA wrote:

You driveline alignment is off...

How do i allign it

|

12/29/2018 5:52 PM

nando2075 wrote:

When was the las time you greased your hub?

Never you dont need grease?

|

12/29/2018 6:34 PM

Sounds fine to me. Mine sounds like that too. Always has.

|

12/29/2018 6:55 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/29/2018 7:33 PM

Just did a new bike built with supreme chain too

|

12/29/2018 7:12 PM

nando2075 wrote:

Just did a new bike built with supreme chain too

That link dont work

|

12/29/2018 7:16 PM

Try again . It worked for me I’m on an iPhone

|

12/29/2018 7:43 PM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bY02QjtY0kI
Had it set to private , Sorry

|

12/29/2018 8:38 PM

That completely puts me off ever getting a supreme chain. Sounds like it's just going to eat drivers and sprockets if it doesn't engage with the teeth properly. You may never need a new chain, but you'll be replacing your sprocket and driver at least once a year

|

12/29/2018 9:45 PM

Looks like your chain is tight as shit for one, second it's a new chain and needs a break in time. Don't ask me how long because that's relative to how much you ride.

|

12/30/2018 10:06 AM

Sounds a bit rough. They usually make slight noise on break in but that seems maybe too tight or a little misalignment.

|

12/31/2018 7:12 AM

Yeesh.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

12/31/2018 7:22 AM

What’s wrong with a 510?

|

Don’t put 25.4 bars in a 22.2 stem.

12/31/2018 7:57 AM

Spongeworthy wrote:

What’s wrong with a 510?

Not nearly as cool

|

12/31/2018 8:01 AM

Spongeworthy wrote:

What’s wrong with a 510?

Rabbe wrote:

Not nearly as cool

just seems so unnecessary.

|

12/31/2018 8:07 AM

Spongeworthy wrote:

Probably is to mostgrin

|

12/31/2018 8:25 AM

I ride a 710 and have no complaints. I don't do many sprocket stalls or grinds, but I also have a Signet guard sprocket.

OP, have you ridden this bike yet? Does this noise translate into any kind of roughness when pedaling?

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

12/31/2018 10:12 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/31/2018 10:14 AM

If your using a bolt drive setup take a look at the Shadow Conspiracy Align sprocket.

It has grooves built in it for the supreme chain and it will "Align" your chainline better by slamming the sprocket against the BB (at least it did for me).

They discontinued them, but Planet BMX has them on sale for $20.

*edit: Video sounds just like a heavy duty chain to me.

|

12/31/2018 4:48 PM

Spongeworthy wrote:

What’s wrong with a 510?

Rabbe wrote:

Not nearly as cool

Spongeworthy wrote:

I would rather buy 1 $60 chain every 2 years (or just get it warrantied for free if it ever breaks) than 4 $15 chains every year.

That being said, I actually go through 510s, 710s, etc. often enough that it's worth it to me to just invest in an indestructible chain. If 510s work for you, well lucky you!

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

12/31/2018 4:50 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

I would rather buy 1 $60 chain every 2 years (or just get it warrantied for free if it ever breaks) than 4 $15 chains every ...more

Fair enough.

|

12/31/2018 8:42 PM

Spongeworthy wrote:

What’s wrong with a 510?

Rabbe wrote:

Not nearly as cool

Spongeworthy wrote:

I was breaking chains pretty regularly before I got the shadow supreme. Still havent broken one. Ran one naked doing sprocket stalls no guard, held up fine. Messed up a bunch of grinds (still do) plates havent peeled off like my other chains have. I have broken standard chains just pedaling up hills.

I agree that most riders dont need them but they are not unnecessary for some. smile

|

12/31/2018 8:57 PM

Rabbe wrote:

Not nearly as cool

Spongeworthy wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

I was breaking chains pretty regularly before I got the shadow supreme. Still havent broken one. Ran one naked doing sprocket ...more

I stand corrected then!

|

1/1/2019 1:11 AM

I used to break chains monthly and thinking I was snapping them just from the force I was pedaling with, then I got a guard sprocket and a driveside hub guard and I have been using the same 510 since, all I'm saying is that nobody is breaking a chain without it being damaged in some way first.

|

Hmmm

1/1/2019 1:37 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/1/2019 1:39 AM

Edman123 wrote:

I used to break chains monthly and thinking I was snapping them just from the force I was pedaling with, then I got a guard ...more

I was going through brand 510/710s in about 2-3 months before I even rode pegs or did any heavy riding/anything that would bash the chain.

After a year of riding pegs, I got a drive side hub guard & MDS Guard sprocket. Still went through those chains like crazy (& began trying other brand's chains which were equally undependable.)

After another year or so, I became consistent with grinding and never hit my chain/sprocket (at least until I started doing sprocket stalls later on.) Still went through any regular chain in a matter of months.

Bought the Supreme when it came out (before it even had a lifetime warranty) and rode it & bashed the piss out of it (on purpose) for 2 years. Only ever broke one link from literally cracking it on a sprocket stall gone wrong.

All of that said, I have always rode mostly street with a 28/9 gear ratio (25/8 for a bit way back when) & I used to put at least 10-15miles on my bike every time I rode. I also crank at things unnecessarily hard sometimes lol.

Anyways, here is my full experience with BMX chains over the course of 8 years lol

Chains that lasted me less than 6 months before links began breaking every ride
- KMC 510 / Odsy Bluebird
- KMC 710
- Cult Halflink
- Eclat Diesel
- Odyssey Keychain

Chains that lasted 6months - 1 year
- Shadow Interlock v2 (but stretched to the point of ruining my sprocket/driver..)
- KMC 410H

The Shadow Supreme lasted through 2 years of my most progressive & gnarliest riding and only broke once from an excessive & direct slam on concrete.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon

1/1/2019 1:45 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/1/2019 1:47 AM

Also for the record, the 510 & 710 designs are garbage.

What's the point of having extra-thick, heavy-duty outer links, but use regular thickness inner links?
It's as if KMC, a chain manufacturer, doesn't know that a chain is only as strong as its weakest link.
Once the inner links start snapping, the gimmicky "heavy duty" outer links don't mean a thing!

The KMC 410H has heavy-duty outer and inner links. It is the only other chain I'd consider riding again, & even then I dont know that it would hold up to all the sprocket stall stuff that I've gotten used to doing with the help of my Supreme?

|