Share your bad BMX decisions

Related:
Create New Tag

6/10/2021 8:56 AM

Did this today and thought it might start a fun thread.

So... On my way back from a ride, maybe 2 miles from home and there's this long downhill. I think, "I need to put on those new tires, but the rear isn't that bad, wouldn't it be fun to see how long a skid I can do?"

So, genius that I am, I lean forward to get most of my weight on to the front and grab the brake hard. Fun sliding, fishtailing halfway down the hill then POP. Yep. I was trying to use up my tire and wore right through my stupid expensive Tubolito tube and got to walk my bike for 2 miles.

The hole was just small enough that I think my patch will hold. If so, the stupid tax was low, this time.

Any tales of bad BMX decisions or un-forced errors you want to share?

Photo
Photo

|

6/10/2021 9:04 AM

buying plastic pegs

|

6/10/2021 9:43 AM

Giving away so many parts and hooking people up who never truly appreciated it. I could literally have a bike shop with all the parts I've given away

|

It’s all bmx

6/10/2021 10:07 AM

I once traded Primo Hollowbites w/ titanium hardware for extremely beat up Odyssey Twombolts thinking they’d be an upgrade. They were RHD and I set them up for LHD, so I had to use blue threadlocker to prevent the pedals from loosening. In addition to that, the wedge cluster was missing it’s rubber retainer so it was a bit of a pain assembling them, plus whoever had them prior somehow damaged them causing them to come loose occasionally. I regretted that trade terribly.

|

REPS
JakeSalbert, Stephan.yupthatsme, bmxrider4lyfe, cb4130, mactive818, Broughton, Dream, Kymike (x2), Sam.cooper1291, louie101202, nshs2010, hatebreeder, justin vogelsberger, Xlilkillaluc15x, Four, Blakebmx92, Brian_Griffin, Element4all, HardBMX_Tim, HondaCRFRacer, thedevilwearsnike, cky199 (x2), A08 (x2), blizzbikes, JørgenHub, sactobmxer, Sobriety&Bmx

6/10/2021 10:10 AM

Learning tricks the wrong way (initially). These are the three things that hindered progression based on the way I had learned a trick and had to correct

1. Was limited on my hops because I was basically just gravity hopping high and not pulling up the front wheel.
2. Learning fakies by footjam
3. Learning 180s by carving so hard the centrifugal force carried me around without pulling up my front wheel

|

6/10/2021 10:12 AM

I did the exact same thing as you haha, but on a stock tire with a stock tube so no major loss. Was about 3 miles away from my place but luckily my friend I was riding with lived a half mile away so just walked there and did an epic duct tape patch on the tire and put a new tube in

|

Pegless and coaster is ultimate zen

6/10/2021 10:13 AM

Oh...and getting rid of (selling) my black V1 Whammo. I miss the shit out of that frame.

|

6/10/2021 10:30 AM

Selling my Skavenger Tunnel V1. Smh. Best frame ever.

Also I got a brand new Haro wheel & went to these trails 3.5 miles from my house. Same day popped my tire & had to ride 3.5 miles on the rim. Shit was bent to all hell. That's why I started being the backpack guy with tubes, tools, & a mini pump.

|

6/10/2021 11:11 AM

Swapping my Federal Lacey for a Twilight

Swapping my Chrome Premium cranks for Black Ezra cranks

Swapping all my red Demolition stuff I got new for Used black Demolition stuff

Selling my Demolition Coaster for 50 bucks

Not riding more when I have the chance

Not building a mini ramp or quarter when wood was 500% cheaper

Doing that downside footplant in 2004 that blew up my shoulder and fractured three bones in my spine (that I learned about like 8 years later)

Riding less than two weeks after that ^^ when I should have been in a sling for at least 2 weeks and off the bike for a month.

Swapping my bike for a board for a few mins in 2007, trying a hardflip and blowing up my ankle, I still cannot hop into a footjam whip without a brake because of it (hurts).

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

6/10/2021 11:16 AM

DanTheBikerMan wrote:

I did the exact same thing as you haha, but on a stock tire with a stock tube so no major loss. Was about 3 miles away from my ...more

I'd love to see that duct tape Frankenstein of a tire.

My tire was about to be done anyway, so that was no loss. The walk home was hot and sweaty and felt really long because I kept thinking about how stupid it was to destroy the tube.

|

6/10/2021 11:22 AM

Trading a funday for an Ian Schwartz that was too big for me at the time. Bought it with the intentions of throwing a gyro on. The guy said he tapped the head tube for gyro tabs. Cock eyed holes . Threaded like garbage . Put a straight cable on and realized I didn’t like brakes and definitely didn’t/couldn’t do the gyro . Sad.

|

6/10/2021 11:26 AM

WiteMic wrote:

Also I got a brand new Haro wheel & went to these trails 3.5 miles ...more

That sucks! I think I knew I had to walk to avoid destroying my rim from watching "World's Wildest Police Videos" and seeing how quickly cars destroy their rims when people keep driving on a flat. That's from the nineties when the internet was too slow for video so you had shows like that and "America's Funniest Home Videos" to see stuff available on YouTube now.

|

6/10/2021 11:37 AM

WiteMic wrote:

Roberto_Jordan wrote:

That sucks! I think I knew I had to walk to avoid destroying my rim from watching "World's Wildest Police Videos" and seeing ...more

I knew it was going to turn the rim into shit. Lol. I just didn't want to walk. Especially since there was up hill shit.

|

6/10/2021 11:49 AM

Since I met her at the skatepark I'm counting this as a bad BMX decision...

Not pulling out of Shaked's momma fifteen years ago..

|

6/10/2021 3:12 PM

adamnmexican wrote:

Giving away so many parts and hooking people up who never truly appreciated it. I could literally have a bike shop with all ...more

I second this, I sold some kid a brand new 2 short and cranks for $200 and he tried to jump me after

|

smile

6/10/2021 3:50 PM

Giving away a bunch of parts

But mostly, stopped riding, feel like a year or two after I stopped is when the skill level of my friends who kept riding really skyrocketed and now when I see them ride the stuff I'm learning is just second nature to them

|

6/10/2021 4:47 PM

Selling my watermelon funday frames my metal moon unit and my fbm berzerker v2 😭

|

brakeless maniac

6/10/2021 5:37 PM

Trying to nosebonk that basketball at the skatepark

|

6/10/2021 6:24 PM

I left my bike outside overnight hidden on the side of the house thinking it was safe and some bastard stole it . That was 33 years ago and it still pisses me off

|

6/10/2021 7:02 PM

Getting hurt on a trick or setup that you second guessed from the get-go. Trust intuition I guess.

|

6/10/2021 8:39 PM

hoffdirt1 wrote:

Getting hurt on a trick or setup that you second guessed from the get-go. Trust intuition I guess.

How bout the good ol’ “one more try” then you hurt yourself. That’s always fun too

|

6/10/2021 10:35 PM

cky199 wrote:

How bout the good ol’ “one more try” then you hurt yourself. That’s always fun too

That just happened to me the other day riding the bowl. I was doing pretty well, then the "one last time" came into play. Messed up my shoulder pretty good and scrapped up my elbow a bit. Showers sucked and so did sleeping on my left side.

|

6/10/2021 11:05 PM

NOT getting a solid AA frame, a solid front load stem and solid cranks when I had the chance. Solid is one of my favorite companies of all time. Trading a standard top load stem (the older chunkier one not the newer version out now with the scalloped sides) for an animal top load stem (the very first run of animal top loads not the reissue or that mr crap) and I cant even remember what happened to THAT stem! AND as other members have already stated giving parts away. It sucks knowing theyre just sitting in someone's garage or storage or backyard or some lot not being used or rusting away...😔

|

6/11/2021 2:20 AM

Not wearing a helmet

|

6/11/2021 4:32 AM

Had the chance to buy a Kink Sexton Frame for $99 or get a free Tocco Frame when I did warranty with Kink. I went with the Tocco (still loved it) but always wished i had put the money up to get the Sexton Frame.

|

Husky Nation Member

6/11/2021 4:41 AM

WiteMic wrote:

I’ve got a US Tunnel I’m trying to offload…

|

6/11/2021 5:48 AM

WiteMic wrote:

BrodieB wrote:

I’ve got a US Tunnel I’m trying to offload…

As tempting as it is I doubt I could afford the shipping from Australia to Louisiana. Lol

|

6/11/2021 6:38 AM

Last weekend was a heat wave here in New England, so I decided to hit the local up early on Saturday AM (~8:15 or so) to beat the heat. I'm not a morning person so I suffered quite a lot to wake up early and do that.

When I got there the metal pre-fab ramps were still a little wet from the dew, so I knew they would be slippery. I always do these little front tire sliders on the roll-in ramp when I need to turn around. So it was wet, and I hadn't really started riding yet (was just cruising around warming up) I figured it would be safe/fun to do a very SMALL version (like TINY) of that tire slide on that roll-in ramp, cognizant of the wetness. Mistake. Front tire slid out from under me like it was ice and I went straight down onto my hands...ugh.

Falling on the first thing you do, when it's already to early in the morning, is not a great way to start a session lol. Although I was much more awake after that! And soon the ramps were dry enough to play around on without getting killed.

It's always the stupid small shit that tries to kill me I swear.

|

6/11/2021 6:54 AM

d-Herz wrote:

Last weekend was a heat wave here in New England, so I decided to hit the local up early on Saturday AM (~8:15 or so) to beat ...more

Agreed. I don't go big, I go stupid. I had a similar experience with my mountain bike probably the year before I got into BMX. Was probably 5 minutes into a ride when my front tire washed out hard on a super slippery wet wooden bridge that veered right. I slammed into my right side jacking up my shoulder for months. It did wake me up though and I rode another hour with a bloody hole in my shirt because I was too pissed off to just ride home.

|

6/11/2021 8:12 AM

d-Herz wrote:

Last weekend was a heat wave here in New England, so I decided to hit the local up early on Saturday AM (~8:15 or so) to beat ...more

Roberto_Jordan wrote:

Agreed. I don't go big, I go stupid. I had a similar experience with my mountain bike probably the year before I got into BMX. ...more

Ugh hahah that sounds brutal man

|