Shin & Knee or just Shin Guards

Related:
Create New Tag

12/7/2017 8:01 AM

Of those who run them, do you run knee & shin or just shin guards? I HATE shinners! Sure, it lets you know you are alive but there are other ways other than catching a pedal in the shin! My other issue is trying to find something that fits. My calves are larger than most XXL sizes offered. Anyone have any experiences with good guards & sizes?

|

12/7/2017 8:51 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/7/2017 8:52 AM

I think I may have mentioned this in another thread, but my pads are:

Colony Ultra Ankle guards - One size does NOT fit all, they are way too small, but really strong and protective. I may modify or stretch them somehow because I like how they're constructed they're just a bit tight.

Colony Ultra Shin guards XL - I measured my calf and I was 5.5 inches in diameter larger than the largest measurement for XL. Turns out they are extremely comfortable, have 2 areas of protection (front obviously and a strip of hard plastic down the side) and fit under pants perfectly. Highly recommend them if you have big legs. You may not get the second velcro strap all the way across but it will catch and they don't move.

Demon Hyper Knee Pads XL - These were kind of a "meh whatever" purchase because I just needed some knee pads. Turns out these are awesome too. Slip on, lots of protection, not too stiff, fit under pants and they just slightly snug but not too tight.

I run all three pads at the same time and I have to say, I feel solid as hell while riding.

FYI, I have fuckin tree trunks for legs. I'm a 36 jean size but can't wear many brands because they seem to be made for guys without any muscle tone or meat on their bones. The waist fits fine but the thighs and calves are just like painted on.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

12/7/2017 8:58 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/7/2017 8:58 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Of those who run them, do you run knee & shin or just shin guards? I HATE shinners! Sure, it lets you know you are alive ...more

Ya id run knee shin ankle guards if I didnt already have a setup. I dont have big calves so Im not sure where to direct you, but its worth the effort to find em!

Maybe just buy a set you like and get some extension velcro straps sewed on by a shop or someones mom that likes to help out nice boys.

|

12/7/2017 9:17 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Of those who run them, do you run knee & shin or just shin guards? I HATE shinners! Sure, it lets you know you are alive ...more

Bulletpup wrote:

Ya id run knee shin ankle guards if I didnt already have a setup. I dont have big calves so Im not sure where to direct you, ...more

Wearing lots of pads does help when you are being beaten by lots of school kids for not being able to wheelie on grass.

|

Hmmm

12/7/2017 9:20 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

Ya id run knee shin ankle guards if I didnt already have a setup. I dont have big calves so Im not sure where to direct you, ...more

Edman123 wrote:

Wearing lots of pads does help when you are being beaten by lots of school kids for not being able to wheelie on grass.

They usually go for the knees...

|

12/7/2017 10:11 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

Edman123 wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

They usually go for the knees...

LOL Edman!

Yeah, those lil' bastards will fuck up a knee, given the chance!

|

12/7/2017 12:08 PM

I wear the Shadow Invisalite knee and elbow pads... I don't wear them as much as I should though... but just the other day I had one of the worst shinners I've ever had and I'm really thinking I should get some shin pads....

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

12/7/2017 12:21 PM

Knee pads suck. This isn't football guys, come on. I get the helmet, but pads and stuff are for girls.

|

12/7/2017 12:25 PM

ggallin422 wrote:

Knee pads suck. This isn't football guys, come on. I get the helmet, but pads and stuff are for girls.

I'm not concerned about the knees or elbows if I skin them up (not that THAT is fun). I just hate getting a pedal (or other bike part) in the shin when attempting new tricks. A lot of times I don't wear them when maybe I should. Other times, I'm totally geared up for something if I feel sketchy on a trick. Once I sorta get the gist of it, the shin guards are optional depending on how I'm feeling that day, temps, etc...

|

12/7/2017 12:26 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

I wear the Shadow Invisalite knee and elbow pads... I don't wear them as much as I should though... but just the other day I ...more

Nothing serves as a great reminder like catching a spikey pedal in the shin bone!

|

12/7/2017 12:28 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/7/2017 12:29 PM

ggallin422 wrote:

Have you never hit your knee really hard on the bars, stem, tt or the ground?

Also, I know plenty of women that dont wear pads, tampons sometimes offer the best protection.

Im gonna keep wearing my knee tampons, Im gonna try to avoid a second knee surgery...

|

12/7/2017 12:41 PM

ggallin422 wrote:

Dude I got snaked so bad at the concrete park like 3 weeks ago and landed with all my weight on my right knee coming down a quarter, I was afraid I'd shattered my kneecap because it didn't stop hurting until 2 days ago.

I ride with a helmet, knee/shin/ankle guards. I'm old and fat. I need protection!

|

12/7/2017 12:51 PM

ggallin422 wrote:

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

Dude I got snaked so bad at the concrete park like 3 weeks ago and landed with all my weight on my right knee coming down a ...more

I wish we all lived realy close to each other. You guys are too fucking funny!

|

12/7/2017 12:56 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Hahah agreed! I know like 3 people in this city that ride and are actually cool.

Bulletpup do you use Playtex kneepads or Always kneepads with wings?

|

12/7/2017 1:01 PM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

Dude I got snaked so bad at the concrete park like 3 weeks ago and landed with all my weight on my right knee coming down a ...more

Mishinn_Control wrote:

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

Hahah agreed! I know like 3 people in this city that ride and are actually cool.

Bulletpup do you use Playtex kneepads or ...more

Well, the wings help me get a bit more air on flyouts.

|

12/10/2017 9:40 AM

ggallin422 wrote:

Stupid statement, having knee surgery sucks, believe me.

|

12/10/2017 9:53 AM

If you cannot find a bmx type. Maybe look into soccer shin guards.

|

12/10/2017 4:31 PM

ggallin422 wrote:

Worst advice ever. Slamming your knee into concrete or skidding your knee across gravel isn't very fun. I don't wear them either but I also don't go around telling others they don't need to wear them cause they're apparently for girls.

I wear Triple 8 shin whip guards, for whips obviously but mainly just to help commit at this point. I slammed my shin real bad years ago and ever since then if I hit it in the same spot it would swell up real bad and hurt, so I just opted for shin guards

|

12/10/2017 6:13 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Depends on your style and what you ride. I like ankle support and shin pads always. If I ride park, I put my knee pads on.

|

12/10/2017 6:14 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Depends on your style and what you ride. I like ankle support and shin pads always. If I ride park, I put my knee pads on. Gloves and at times wrist tape.

|

12/12/2017 6:16 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/12/2017 6:18 AM

Soccer shin guards. Some even have ankle pads incorporated into them. They're slim, light and cheap.

|