Shoes and the roll of the ankle-- preech

Related:
Create New Tag

2/26/2017 6:30 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/26/2017 6:31 PM

As the subject line says, I am trying to avoid that.

Right now I bike in minimal running shoes (gulp) NO grip.

However, skate/bmx shoes are bulky and roll over easy. Ankle sprains suck. I don't want one.

Anybody got any suggestions for shoes that don't roll / tip over easily when you land sideways?

Thanks--Pete

|

2/26/2017 7:57 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/26/2017 7:58 PM

Strengthen your ankles and learn to fall in ways that won't get you injured. I know it's not what you want to hear but that's the only thing that really helps. I rolled my ankles a LOT when I started riding because I'd freak out when things started to go wrong, got me injured so much more often. Think through how you plan to bail before you do anything and make sure it's clear in your head. When things go wrong, it'll usually happen way too fast to decide what you should do. Having a plan won't always help but in the majority of all falls I've ever had, the main reason I didn't get injured(too badly at least) is that I'd planned ahead. You won't always see a fall coming but over time you start to get better at dealing with anything that comes your way.

As for wearing running shoes, they'll wear way faster and provide little to no padding. Etnies Marana OGs and Kingpins are the best shoes I've found for many reasons. The Marana OGs are quite low profile with just enough padding and they last quite a while. The Kingpins are really bulky and heavily padded and also last quite a while.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

2/26/2017 8:03 PM

Invest in some bmx specific shoes, they'll last a lot longer.

Also, get an ankle brace. Or two. One of the best decisions I've made.

|

2/26/2017 9:33 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Invest in some bmx specific shoes, they'll last a lot longer.

Also, get an ankle brace. Or two. One of the best decisions ...more

Which ones have you purchased?

|

2/26/2017 9:55 PM

DanTheBikerMan wrote:

Which ones have you purchased?

Ankle brace? Just some random ACE from Wal-Mart, this one specifically. I always used to roll my left ankle but ever since I got a brace for it (knock on wood) I haven't.

|

2/27/2017 5:30 AM

Get a pair of high cab vans and lace them up tightly

|

2/27/2017 7:21 AM

Learn to heel lock your shoes.
Here's a video.

|

2/27/2017 7:36 AM

seanthemechanic wrote:

Get a pair of high cab vans and lace them up tightly

OP, I just got a pair of Half Cabs. They won't offer the support of the full Cabs, but they are really narrow. So are the Adiease I was riding in before. As well as the Busenitz before that.

Also, as mentioned up-thread, ankle brace!

|