Shoes, do they matter?

Related:
Create New Tag

5/15/2018 2:16 PM

All my life i have worn skate shoes, generally either fallens or vans when biking, since i have never used another type of shoe to BMX with, i'm not really certain if there are better/worse alternatives

Recently i have been looking at the Nike Air Force 1 Low ID shoes:
https://store.nike.com/gb/en_gb/product/air-force-1-low-essential-id-shoe/?piid=44630&pbid=943387288

I wanted to know if using shoes intended for sports such as basketball or football would actually be usable for bmx, or if it would be better to go for some skate shoes, thanks.

5/15/2018 2:39 PM

JoonesBP wrote:

All my life i have worn skate shoes, generally either fallens or vans when biking, since i have never used another type of shoe to BMX with, i'm not really certain if there are better/worse alternatives

https://store.nike.com/gb/en_gb/product/air-force-1-low-essential-id-shoe/?piid=44630&pbid=943387288

I wanted to know if using shoes intended for sports such as basketball or football would actually be usable for bmx, or if it would be better to go for some skate shoes, thanks.

Get flat bottomed shoes. Ankle support preferred, buy some thick insoles, wear ankle braces/guards.

Inappropriate shoes is how I snapped a ligament in my foot and now I am pretty much guaranteed arthritis sooner than later eithout corrective surgery.

Dont buy expensive thin soled, low ankle shoes. They are worthless imo.

5/15/2018 2:43 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

Get flat bottomed shoes. Ankle support preferred, buy some thick insoles, wear ankle braces/guards.

Inappropriate shoes is how I snapped a ligament in my foot and now I am pretty much guaranteed arthritis sooner than later eithout corrective surgery.

What shoes are like this, could you link me some or give me some examples for me to search up

5/15/2018 2:45 PM

Basketball shoes/running shoes will not last very long in my experience. The soles are made of too soft a material...

My Sunday Soundwave Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork" - grumpySteve

5/15/2018 2:47 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

Basketball shoes/running shoes will not last very long in my experience. The soles are made of too soft a material...

Yeah i didn't know if that would be a problem with biking, thanks for helping me out

5/15/2018 2:52 PM

JoonesBP wrote:

there's a flatlander that rides just fine with these. shit man i ride in air speed shoes from wal-mart just fine lol. i know a few guys that ride in jordans and swear by them. they're just shoes man, all made by the same kid in the chinese factory.

you'll be fine

fack off

5/15/2018 2:54 PM

Don’t buy shoes , buy a Chinese kid and put him in your basement and force him to make you shoes , Dave Chapelle style

5/15/2018 2:56 PM

eskimojay wrote:

Don’t buy shoes , buy a Chinese kid and put him in your basement and force him to make you shoes , Dave Chapelle style

i did this and haven't bought shoes in years. i just give the kid a bag of chips every other day!

fack off

5/15/2018 2:58 PM

eskimojay wrote:

Better idea, use the chinese kid as shoes, one on each foot

5/15/2018 2:58 PM

eskimojay wrote:

adamnmexican wrote:

i did this and haven't bought shoes in years. i just give the kid a bag of chips every other day!

You're overpaying him; I pay mine an apple core every 2 months

My Sunday Soundwave Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork" - grumpySteve

5/15/2018 3:24 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/15/2018 3:27 PM

DONT RIDE AIR FORCES

They give you absolutely no pedal feel. The grip is....acceptable. Depending on your pedals. The sole is thick as hell, so they last a pretty damn long time. But they are not a very nice feeling shoe to ride in. I ride these usually

They're amazing... and, discontinued. The hemp construction and gum sole formula is such a strong combination. Also went through a few pairs of vans low tops. I smash my ankles at least once a session, I just like the freedom of movement in my feet currently. I understand it's not really the best shoe, I just really like the feel. I can also usually score a pair at a secondhand clothing shop for like $20. Definitely suggest that route, brakeless is ruthless on shoes. The Nike SB Omar Salazar Middies are amazing too

Nike SB or Adidas, Vans Half Cabs are also legendary. There's a couple BMX Shoe brands that make a strong ass shoe as well.

Refs: Future FBM, Warchol2 WtfKennethXp Riversiderider TCbmx Riversiderider JakeSalbert

5/15/2018 3:36 PM

Spenlard wrote:

DONT RIDE AIR FORCES

They give you absolutely no pedal feel. The grip is....acceptable. Depending on your pedals. The sole is thick as hell, so they last a pretty damn long time. But they are not a very nice feeling shoe to ride in. I ride these usually

They're amazing... and, discontinued. The hemp construction and gum sole formula is such a strong combination. Also went through a few pairs of vans low tops. I smash my ankles at least once a session, I just like the freedom of movement in my feet currently. I understand it's not really the best shoe, I just really like the feel. I can also usually score a pair at a secondhand clothing shop for like $20. Definitely suggest that route, brakeless is ruthless on shoes. The Nike SB Omar Salazar Middies are amazing too

Nike SB or Adidas, Vans Half Cabs are also legendary. There's a couple BMX Shoe brands that make a strong ass shoe as well.

Nike SB? How are these?
https://www.nike.com/gb/t/sb-check-solarsoft-skateboarding-shoe-7BTDpqgl/843895-001

5/15/2018 3:55 PM

Like I said I suggest mid tops, but they look solid

Refs: Future FBM, Warchol2 WtfKennethXp Riversiderider TCbmx Riversiderider JakeSalbert

5/15/2018 4:00 PM

Spenlard wrote:

Like I said I suggest mid tops, but they look solid

Thank you, I appreciate the help

5/15/2018 4:05 PM

DC Lives Matter.

5/15/2018 4:12 PM

jbales wrote:

DC Lives Matter.

no they dont

Hmmm

5/15/2018 4:32 PM

jbales wrote:

DC Lives Matter.

Edman123 wrote:

no they dont

Don't make me come down there. I'LL TAKE YOUR HED OFF M8!!

5/15/2018 4:39 PM

jbales wrote:

DC Lives Matter.

Edman123 wrote:

no they dont

jbales wrote:

Down? you mean up?

Hmmm

5/15/2018 4:45 PM

I’ve rode in Vans Sk8 Highs and now I’m riding in Vans slip ons . Both are amazing . Vans make the best shoes

Instagram : brayden.buckingham
everything I do is goofy

5/15/2018 4:48 PM

Edman123 wrote:

no they dont

jbales wrote:

Edman123 wrote:

Down? you mean up?

After doing some extensive research. It would appear that you are indeed up.

5/15/2018 6:27 PM

Fuck Nike.

5/15/2018 6:37 PM

CHILDISHGAMBINO wrote:

Fuck Nike.

Came here to say this.

$110 for those is a joke. I've ridden a few different kinds of shoes. I have a pair of Ralph Lauren full leather high-tops that still hold up to pretty good abuse and were only $90.

I currently ride Vans 112 Pros and l like them a lot. They're holding up pretty well and I run jcpcs so one side of each pedal is a spike strip.

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

5/15/2018 6:58 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/15/2018 6:59 PM

Take into account its not all about grip, you also want to be able to bail cleanly. The middle portion of running/basketball/tennis shoes are usually arched and the pins, whether plastic or metal can get caught in that little arch very easily. I am a prime example of this happening.

I was doing a nose pivot or g-turn 180 to fakie a trick I felt confident in landing nearly every time and I messed up and tried to bail but the middle of my shoe caught the pins of my pedal and I went down with the bike. My foot was still on the pedal and it twisted my foot and snapped Ligaments in the outside of my right foot. I was wearing running shoes and no ankle braces.

I regret it very much so.

I wear space braces on both feet to help protect my ankles regardless of what type of shoes I am wearing and currently I am wearing these.

Very affordable and much longer lasting than the expensive "skate" shoes I have previously purchased.

Took about 2-3 days of wearing them walking around for the rubber to soften up and start gripping the pedals but after the break-in period they have been awesome.

0ahUKEwij0PrYj4nbAhUI7IMKHXmVAfEQgTYIugU

They are heavy but they have a composite toe so you dont have to twist your foot to do jams (something that is very hard to do for me now that I have damaged my right foot). They needed a new insole because the ones that come with them are not very good.

They have a bit more ankle support than low cut shoes and as I mentioned before affordable.

The rubber lasts a long time and I do a ton of foot jams. Its kind of my go to trick when I am bored and dont have obstacles to jump on.

Thats my current suggestion, I might change my opinion on them if I find something that suits me better but they have been my favorite of all I have tried thus far.

5/15/2018 7:37 PM

CHILDISHGAMBINO wrote:

Fuck Nike.

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

Came here to say this.

$110 for those is a joke. I've ridden a few different kinds of shoes. I have a pair of Ralph Lauren full leather high-tops that still hold up to pretty good abuse and were only $90.

I currently ride Vans 112 Pros and l like them a lot. They're holding up pretty well and I run jcpcs so one side of each pedal is a spike strip.

Yeah, when Nike first started making skate shoes their Big Brother review was simply a photo of the shoes with a pile of shit on them. Perfectly summed up. A picture really is worth a thousand words.

5/15/2018 8:26 PM

those things are fucking atrociously ugly

5/15/2018 8:33 PM

Vans Style 112 Pros, $60 and I usually get 6 or so months out of them. And also, they are the only shoes I own, so I do everything in them, and wear them pretty much 24/7....

My Bike

5/15/2018 8:34 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

those things are fucking atrociously ugly

And I agree with this, those are pretty ugly, just go with some Vans...

My Bike

5/15/2018 8:39 PM

JoonesBP wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

JoonesBP wrote:

What shoes are like this, could you link me some or give me some examples for me to search up

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F142381274945
These
Or any mid shoe
Trust me when I say your ankles will thank you later
Anyone who has bashed there ankles on their cranks (which is super easy to do when you do spin ticks) knows what i mean

5/15/2018 11:54 PM

It's really all the same....the bottom of the shoes material is whats counts

5/16/2018 5:43 AM

Bulletpup nailed it on the head. The most important things to consider are:

-flat bottomed shoes
-relatively deep/soft under-thread
-ankle support (padded mids or highs, no lows)
-thick insoles

Thin soles that spread your weight out is preferable to thick unstable ones- they influence the theoretical bottom bracket height.

My personal preference is to run thin pedals, thin (vans) soles, with the stock insole replaced with a running specific silicone insole that absorbs energy well.

It doesn't matter where a train goes. It's decidin' to get on that does.