What are the pros and cons of short rear ends

|

If you ain't fallin you ain't trying.

1/28/2018 1:13 PM

It's just responsiveness vs stability for the rear end really

|

Hmmm

1/28/2018 1:14 PM

Better for quick hops, but you sacrifice height. Easy to spin, but less stable. Easier to lift the front for manuals, but harder to hold it balanced

|

1/28/2018 1:19 PM

ok

|

If you ain't fallin you ain't trying.

1/28/2018 4:02 PM

bad chainline with bigger sprockets

|

1/28/2018 4:14 PM

A short chainstay makes hopping easier, but makes it harder to get the leverage for hopping higher. A long chainstay will give you that leverage, but it will be a tad more difficult to hop.

Short chainstays supposedly make rotational tricks easier, such as 180’s, 360’s, etc. I’ve never noticed much of a difference, not even between a slammed 12.5 chainstay and a slammed 14.5 chainstay. Top tube length has always had more of an affect on me.

Short chainstays make it easier to get into a manual, but harder to stay in a manual. A long chainstay makes it harder to get into a manual, but easier to stay in. I learned manuals on a frame with a 14.5 chainstay, and found it was very easy to stay in. Bar height also effects manuals, but that’s a whole different story.

Short Chainstays makes hop tailwhips a lot easier. I can nearly get them all the way around on a shorter chainstay, but on a long chainstay I can barely get them halfway around.

|

“Pegless and coaster is ultimate zen”
-Indiana Tom