Short frame, 4 pegs and cassette

Related:
Create New Tag

4/21/2017 4:11 AM

recently my frame cracked. its hoffman ontic al, i think its about 13.8 slammed which is pretty long for me. im planning to buy alex d or benny l frame but they are 1 inch shorter. will getting 165 cranks helps not hitting my pegs or i need to buy a bit longer(about 13) frame. any experiences?

|

4/21/2017 4:23 AM

Are your feet close to the pegs as it is? If you're planning to get shorter cranks anyway then it might be OK. But there's plenty of frames out there with a slightly longer chainstay. Or just be cool and ride pegless....

|

4/21/2017 9:52 AM

You don't need to go so extreme, a 13" slammed will be responsive enough while keeping some stability, for having tried an alvx many times, it is a really special frame to ride, I usually rode around 13.4" when tried one for the first time, 12. whatever chainstays is just too short, now I ride around 13.1" and I feel this 0.3" inch change A LOT, so a full inch difference....
You'll might end up hate your new frame which would suck.

|

4/21/2017 10:02 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/21/2017 10:09 AM

Go for it. It would be tight. Everyone here seems to not like rear ends shorter than 13" which is odd I think they're chill you can get super tech with one.

|

4/21/2017 10:29 AM

I too used to complain about the ALVX's shortness, but now that I've ridden a friend's again after the last time, I kinda like it. Backwards manuals and manuals became easier for me and I could feel a sense of twitchiness, especially with the 20.4" TT that he had.

If you're running pegs, I think 165mm might help, but I'd wait to see first.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

4/21/2017 10:44 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/21/2017 10:45 AM

Depending on what size shoes you wear your feet might hit pegs... but shorter cranks could help! When I was researching aftermarket frames, I wanted to get the shortest chainstay possible. After riding for several months after finding out about short chainstays, I realized I didn't want a super short one so I got a 13.25 (slammed) and used to run it at 13.7

My point is, you might not want to have a short chainstay after riding it for a bit, unless you've ridden other bikes that are just as short. Frames are a big investment.

|

Ride hard or Ride home.
Pink N’ Pretty

Instagram
@tarsales

4/21/2017 11:42 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/21/2017 11:42 AM

hoffman's tend to use 11.4 and 11.5 bottom bracket height. Bottom bracket height is a big part of stability too. You drop from 13.8 cs & 11.5 bb to a 13 cs with a 11.6/11.7 bb an you're gonna have some serious readjusting to do

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

4/21/2017 12:23 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/21/2017 12:29 PM

readybmxer wrote:

I too used to complain about the ALVX's shortness, but now that I've ridden a friend's again after the last time, I kinda like it. Backwards manuals and manuals became easier for me and I could feel a sense of twitchiness, especially with the 20.4" TT that he had.

If you're running pegs, I think 165mm might help, but I'd wait to see first.

does ur friend have pegs? i want to know how it feels when u have short rear end with pegs

|

4/21/2017 6:30 PM

I currently ride an alvx with 4 pegs. It pretty good, I wear size 9 shoes and I don't hit my feet on my pegs. I do run 165 mm cranks. My friend also had an alvx with 4 pegs and he wears size 11 shoes and his feet didn't hit. If you have knee problems though get a bigger frame that you can run 170 mm cranks on. My knees kill after a day out street riding.

|

4/22/2017 2:54 AM

RIDEboarder wrote:

I currently ride an alvx with 4 pegs. It pretty good, I wear size 9 shoes and I don't hit my feet on my pegs. I do run 165 mm cranks. My friend also had an alvx with 4 pegs and he wears size 11 shoes and his feet didn't hit. If you have knee problems though get a bigger frame that you can run 170 mm cranks on. My knees kill after a day out street riding.

how do u mean knee problems, like hitting them on bars/stem? tnx for the help

|

4/22/2017 10:07 AM

RIDEboarder wrote:

I currently ride an alvx with 4 pegs. It pretty good, I wear size 9 shoes and I don't hit my feet on my pegs. I do run 165 mm cranks. My friend also had an alvx with 4 pegs and he wears size 11 shoes and his feet didn't hit. If you have knee problems though get a bigger frame that you can run 170 mm cranks on. My knees kill after a day out street riding.

DimitarKim wrote:

how do u mean knee problems, like hitting them on bars/stem? tnx for the help

No but I guess that could be a problem. It's to do with the whole bike being very small and having to run tiny cranks puts more pressure on your knees.

|