Shortening a cable?

Related:
Create New Tag

8/28/2013 1:48 PM

So I recently installed an Odyssey Linear cable on my bike, but the thing is way too long and sticks out like crazy and hangs down to the front wheel. My temporary solution was to ride my bike with my bars twisted in one direction so that the cable would be wrapped around the bike, but the cable now sticks out and touches my leg. The cable is 140cm, or 55 inches long, and that is the average length of the cables in my store, so I was surprised that this cable sticks out so much. So now I want to cut it, however I don't know how this should be done. Should I just get some pliers or a razor and cut the back side of the cable off?

|

8/28/2013 1:55 PM

Take out the inner cable. Measure the housing to your preferred length. Use cable cutters. Measure twice, cut once. You can always shorten a cable, but you can't make it longer.

I'd recommend buying this, so glad I did.
http://m.parktool.com/product/professional-cable-and-housing-cutter-cn-10

|

fack off

8/28/2013 1:56 PM

yeah you can just cut it, I have the same cable and just cut the end I wasn't using and just kept cutting it until it was a size that wasn't too long

|

Murica bike check
REFS four, tomdon, bmx1995, jared42069, obiwan chromoly, hate breeder, nshs2010, asilva23, rascio,
Alfred NYC, Kymike, chuck8273(kind of), tc86, Ugot2dewitt, LLURider, dprc, ecuadevil, scramhype, Mario.villegas90(X2), dirtstars22, Brian_Griffin

8/28/2013 2:08 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/28/2013 2:08 PM

Oh and just another question, seeing as I am only cutting the housing of the cable wouldn't the inner cable stick out at the back of my bike too much?

|

8/28/2013 4:32 PM

install the cable back on, THEN, CUT THE WIRE. leave about an , inch hanging back out

|

8/28/2013 5:50 PM

biggybuggy wrote:

install the cable back on, THEN, CUT THE WIRE. leave about an , inch hanging back out

This and you can use a standard pair of dikes to cut the cable and housing if you don't have the means to buy the tool that's what I do.

|

"It's not a scooter, it's a bike." - Van Homan
My Fit