Should I Get A Freecoaster?

Related:
Create New Tag

6/10/2014 8:22 PM

I don't know if I should get a freecoaster or not. I like that you don't have to pedal backwards and I want to get better at fakieing longer and maybe doing fakie tricks although I use pedal pressure kind of a lot and I don't like hitting my knee on my stem. So is it worth getting one? If so which should I get? I was thinking about waiting for the odyssey one to come out but if there are any others that I should get let me know

|

My AWESOME Bike Check!!!

"I ride a little kid’s bike every day and would not want to do anything else with my time" -Aaron Ross

"keep your feet on the ground but keep reaching for the stars” -Brian Kachinsky

6/10/2014 8:31 PM

The EZRA coaster should be good for you! You can switch it back and forth between cassette and coaster. I'm not really sure how complicated it is but I'm sure you can find a How-To somewhere. If that's not what you want, you could get the Cult Match, Primo Freemix, wait for the Eclat coaster or wait for the Odyssey one. I'm not a coaster expert because I used to hate them. Now I'm in the market for one myself. Lol

I would try riding chainless and see how it goes if you haven't already before you buy a coaster. That way you can see how much you really use pedal pressure and stuff.

|

"If you can't beat me on a bike, beat me off." -Will Stock

YouTube
Instagram (@WillStockSucks)

6/10/2014 8:32 PM

everyone will probably tell you to get good at fakies on a cassette before getting a coaster.

|

selling refs: see profile
Instagram
bike check

6/10/2014 8:33 PM

If you wanna get a freecoaster to get better at fakieing longer, you're gonna have a bad time.

|

6/10/2014 8:41 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

If you wanna get a freecoaster to get better at fakieing longer, you're gonna have a bad time.

Yeah. half cabs are required for coasters in my opinion. I'm sure someone will disagree though.

If you're one of those kids that's like "dood i got da 180 but da fakie just aint comin i need a fweecoasta dawg!!!1!1" Then stick to a cassette. You'll get fakies if you keep trying.

|

"If you can't beat me on a bike, beat me off." -Will Stock

YouTube
Instagram (@WillStockSucks)

6/11/2014 2:04 AM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

If you french fry when youre menna pizze, youre gunna have a baaaad tiiiime

|

NEW Bike check
That InstaGram ting - @EddiMundo
Raw Clips Edit

KriB Life YouTube channel (Click on the pic!)

6/11/2014 2:30 AM

Stocksy wrote:

The EZRA coaster should be good for you! You can switch it back and forth between cassette and coaster. I'm not really sure ...more

this. that way you aren't making a solid commitment to a freecoaster and you could just go back to cassette since youre not sure about it

|

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "

6/11/2014 6:50 AM

ticaleb wrote:

everyone will probably tell you to get good at fakies on a cassette before getting a coaster.

I had a free coaster in the beginning, I feel like they made me better on a cassette today.. I no longer ride a coaster but with a cassette, the majority of shit I do is fakie related

|

6/11/2014 7:47 AM

YoungSmiggle wrote:

I had a free coaster in the beginning, I feel like they made me better on a cassette today.. I no longer ride a coaster but ...more

a person will likely learn fakies whether they start on a cassette or a coaster. I think it's a bad idea to get a coaster in hopes of getting better at going backwards. it worked out for you but we'll never know what would have happened if you started out on a cassette.

|

selling refs: see profile
Instagram
bike check

6/11/2014 8:38 AM

Go to a tall steep hill take your chain off and do a 180 at the top,if you make it to the bottom alive get a freecoaster

|

6/11/2014 8:48 AM

Coasters are great, BUT you have to understand how it works and how to disengage the clutch. If you dont you wont be able to coast freely. It isnt "easier" to fakie, the fakie itself isnt hard, it is getting out of it and getting into it that takes a while to learn. I learned it and it makes me regret selling my coaster. haha

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

6/11/2014 9:37 AM

Stocksy wrote:

Yeah. half cabs are required for coasters in my opinion. I'm sure someone will disagree though.

If you're one of those kids ...more

Half cabs aren't required. Granted they do look good, but there are some riders who's fakies look sick

|

Honestly? Who gives a shit. Its the fucking internet. I hate all of you equally.
-HardBMX_Tim

6/11/2014 3:11 PM

eskimojay wrote:

Go to a tall steep hill take your chain off and do a 180 at the top,if you make it to the bottom alive get a freecoaster

bhahaha that's a good determining factor

|

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "

6/11/2014 10:00 PM

learn about slack, be good at halfcabs w/o pedal pressure/chainless, be sure you dont use pedal pressure in tricks unnecessarily, and be comfortable doing fast fakies. to people who say fakies are harder with freecoasters- bs. timing is harder but thats it

|

virginia beach ~ instagram: @_harru_ ~ 4pegz

6/11/2014 10:14 PM

Get one. I did. Super fun. I've gotten some SICK coaster lines in the past 2 days I'm really proud of . Like today , I did a 180 into a small bank to fakie (about 10 bike lengths long at a good speed) up another steep bank then hopped out !! Took like 30 tries and alot of frustration but I got it !

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

6/11/2014 10:29 PM

Just try out someones bike who has them to see if you like it, simple as that.

|

6/12/2014 2:06 AM

definitely maybe.

|

NEW Bike check
That InstaGram ting - @EddiMundo
Raw Clips Edit

KriB Life YouTube channel (Click on the pic!)