Should I upgrade, or sell?

Related:
Create New Tag

12/25/2017 3:56 PM

Should I upgrade my bike, or sell it and get a better one? I've grown a bit, and this bike feels like a tight fit on me now. I am 5 foot 6, and the bikes toptube is less than 20in, its more on the 19in side. The bars are also a 7in rise. And this is with a front load stem.

But there are some good things, it has 4130 toptube,downtube, and fork legs. Tektro brakes, and nice grips. The rims are also double walled. Besides sizing, the bike has a one piece crank, which I dislike the most since I don't have many options when it comes to buying pedals. Another downside is all the bearings are caged and going bad.

The rest seems standard.

|

12/25/2017 4:02 PM

Probably should get a new one. Upgrading that might cost more than a new bike if you buy all your parts brand new

|

Follow me on instagram @69instagreg
BOTTOM TEXT

12/25/2017 4:04 PM

Eastern Shovelhead, it's a great bike...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

12/25/2017 5:38 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/25/2017 6:55 PM

Yeah, that bike isn't worth the cost of upgrades. Maybe if it fit you like a dream & was perfect for you AND was full Chromoly frame and fork, it might be worth looking into. If you are in a budget, the shovelhead is a great "upgrade" for you. As is (would also) the kink whip, fit VHS, & a few others out there. Look for a new bike.

|

12/25/2017 5:57 PM

100% get a new one . Miles better quality wise and part wise . Bikes are incredible now too .

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

12/25/2017 6:46 PM

Can I get anything good with around $300? The eastern is a bit to much for me.

|

12/25/2017 7:01 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/25/2017 9:48 PM

The cheapest I know of for a full Chromoly framed bike other than the Mongoose Legion L100, would be the eastern traildigger @ $369 delivered stateside. But I believe that comes with a hi tens fork. Your best bet for a full Chromoly frame, fork , bars, etc...; at that budget, would be the Mongoose Legion L100. For around $280 it's quite the bike. Keep in mind, there are compromises at that price range in overall quality of welds. & parts specs with the Mongoose but it's hard to beat for a complete at that price point.

Lastly, if you have the patience to do the research, for $300 you could pick up a nice used ride. Check CL or FB marketplace. Also, check the used section of this forum. You could probably get a new frame & fork &xxx transfer some of your old parts from your current bike to the new frame.

|

12/25/2017 10:14 PM

Used is a great way to go but as Mishinn said, you REALLY have to do your research and know what youre getting. If you end up meeting up with someone dont feel pressured into getting anything you are not 100 percent sure about. If it looks like its taken a beating...it probably has. You dont know if the very next time you flyout of a quarter is gonna snap the fork and send you straight to your face. In other words, dont just pay attention to the bike, pay attention to the seller, if he seems shady he probably is hiding some important details that would make you second think your purchase.

That being said, great deals are everywhere if you look hard enough.

The Legion L100 is a great deal for the price if you want something reasonably priced and new.

|