Should i buy this complete? Stolen Heist 2018

Related:
Create New Tag

7/30/2018 2:13 AM

Hi

I used to shred the streets in my teens, but left the sport for some retarded reason.
Now, more than a decade later, I've gained a good beer tummy and want to get in to BMX'ing again and loose some weight in the process wink

I'm a fairly tall dude at 195cm, so I figured i need atleast a 21"frame.. Anyways, I've found this bike that i figured would be a good buy: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/dk/en/stolen-heist-bmx-bike-2018/rp-prod161269

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance!

|

7/30/2018 5:26 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/30/2018 5:48 AM

Well, that depends. How much "shredding" are you thinking you'll be doing? I mean, I get it, it's been a while. So, I'm guessing it'll be slow(er) going at first. BUT, if you were decent "back in the day" the basics should come back pretty fast. You are pretty tall so, yeah, at least a 21". I'm only 6' (approx. 183cm) but find that I prefer a much larger bike than I used to ride (a 21.5") over the smaller bikes that I can still ride (I have a 20.75 and a 20.85). You didn't specify a weight but eluded to what we all (generally) have encountered, the "years later weight gain" (except Honda.... he's still young & we hate him for it wink ). That being said, the Heist has Chromoly main tubes (TT, DT & maybe the seat tube) which means the others are hi-tens steel. Likewise, I might be concerned with the fork in that they only list the fork legs as being Chromoly, even though they list it as a "one-piece steerer tube". So, I'm not sure it's 100% Chromoly. AS you probably know, Chromoly is stronger that hi-tens steel. The Heist might serve you well but you might tweak the frame before long or worse, might have a catastrophic failure of the fork (if it's not 100% chromoly, that is more of a concern as THAT would not only hurt but could seriously cause bodily harm or worse). You didn't mention a budget. If that bike is at your max. budget, it might serve you well for a while. But there are other options. The Mongoose Legion L100 is 100% 4130 chromoly frame, fork, bars, cranks & can be had for under $300(US) through Amazon (not sure what you have available otherwise). A couple members here bought them & are a good deal forthe money. You can see a video reviews from one of the members (Bulletpup) by clicking here ----> Mongoose Legion L100 Review. Lastly, don't discount the used market (if you have one in your part of the world). A lot of people buy bikes and then lose interest. You can save quite a bit of money on some great gear that way but it requires research on what you are buying & many times sellers don't even know what they are selling besides a "BMX for sale". So you need to get as much info as you can, then try to research the bike to see if you are actually getting what you want.

There's a great buyers guide that another member created here on the forum. It's a good read & might help you brush up on what's good & what's not as good since you've been out of it for a while. You can read it here:

BMX Buyers Guide

Lastly, since you asked for opinions, I'd look at the used market first. If that isn't looking good or you are just have too much trouble finding a good deal in something you can use then, I'd look at spending more on a full Chromoly complete. FIT (several models available), Hoffman Bama, Eastern Shovelhead, Kink.... all have decent priced full-chromoly bikes. & you can save additional money if you buy from Amazon or Ebay when they have deals going on (Ebay will have 20% off now & then & Amazon does similar sorts of deals now & then). Lastly, if you can't see spending more, The Mongoose would be the way I'd go. Especially if I weren't sure if I would really get back into the sport. Anyway, I hope this was helpful. Let us know what you decide & post pics of your ride when you get it!

P.S. Welcome back!

|

7/30/2018 6:55 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Well, that depends. How much "shredding" are you thinking you'll be doing? I mean, I get it, it's been a while. So, I'm ...more

Holy crap, best reply I have ever seen on a forum. Big respect to you man.

And to OP, welcome back to BMX from another returning rider. I have hope that we will be able to shed some of that weight grin

|

7/30/2018 7:06 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/30/2018 7:08 AM

Rabbe wrote:

Holy crap, best reply I have ever seen on a forum. Big respect to you man.

And to OP, welcome back to BMX from another ...more

I can second that, the middle age spread is real! Welcome back mate.

|

Don’t put 25.4 bars in a 22.2 stem.

7/30/2018 9:07 AM

@Mishinn_Control

I would've quoted you, but for some reason the quote took 3/4 portion of my screen, so I couldn't see what i was typing.
Thank you so much for your reply - I'll try to respond in chronological order.

It will be slow(er) indeed, but lets see how fast I can pick up the moves i used to have wink

Regarding finding specs on various bikes - It's a big hassle. I've had more tabs open (with search results) in my browser than i have in the bars around me wink One website states one thing, the next one another or nothing at all.

I will definately take in the Mongoose Legion L100 for consideration! It look really great with that price tag!

Finding used BMX bikes in my part of the world (Denmark)... well... I guess, if I were shorter. Every 21" or larger bike, is all made of hi-ten steel. I look daily, but nothing has caught my attention.

The price level of the Stolen Heist 2018 isn't the max i can take out of my wallet, but as of right now, i cannot afford much more than 500$ at the moment.. my daily driven Volvo 940 TI needs a little fixing in the near future. sad

But i need a BMX ASAP, the sooner the better. And in the future, given that the bike i decide to buy doesn't break, I could always sell it and spend some more on a better bike.

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate the effort! I'll sure keep you updated in this thread with what I'm buying !

|

7/30/2018 9:14 AM

@Rabbe

Thanks bro! You're from Finland, right? Any good finnish BMX shops i should know about?

@Spongeworthy

Thanks!

|

7/30/2018 9:14 AM

1337-f337 wrote:

@Mishinn_Control

I would've quoted you, but for some reason the quote took 3/4 portion of my screen, so I couldn't see what i ...more

The mongoose legion l100 is full chromoly for $289, little over half your $500 budget, even better yet, if you have a budget of $500, you have two better options, an Eastern Shovelhead for $460 or a kink whip XL for $420 (blaze it). The whip xl is 21” and the shovelhead 20.85”, but really it’s all down to personal preference on this one, the whip is an all around bike, while the Shovelhead as the name implies is more intended for trails, but will work good for street and maybe a little park too.

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

7/30/2018 9:15 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/30/2018 9:17 AM

1337-f337 wrote:

@Mishinn_Control

I would've quoted you, but for some reason the quote took 3/4 portion of my screen, so I couldn't see what i ...more

You can also buy a bike to start with(one that ticks the boxes for what has been mentioned here) now and later on buy new parts as the original ones wear/break and this way slowly build up towards a better bike without a large one time investment.

Edit: Oh and Finland has https://www.signaturebmx.com
Pretty much the only legit BMX shop in here.

|

7/30/2018 9:21 AM

HavokDJ wrote:

The mongoose legion l100 is full chromoly for $289, little over half your $500 budget, even better yet, if you have a budget ...more

Actually, the Shovelhead geo is street as opposed to trail. Short rear and 75 deg. HT angle.

|

7/30/2018 9:37 AM

Really? They don’t have the geo anywhere where I can see on site, so I always assumed it was trails by the name.

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

7/30/2018 2:15 PM

|

7/30/2018 2:17 PM

1337-f337 wrote:

@Mishinn_Control

Rabbe wrote:

You can also buy a bike to start with(one that ticks the boxes for what has been mentioned here) now and later on buy new ...more

Thats the idea, Rabbe. Thanks for the input and the link! Their prices seems a little steep though.

|

7/30/2018 2:22 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Well, that depends. How much "shredding" are you thinking you'll be doing? I mean, I get it, it's been a while. So, I'm ...more

Hey! I saw thatsad

laughinglaughinglaughing

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

7/30/2018 2:22 PM

And OP, the Mongoose Legion L100 is a solid bike dude, go for that!

|

7/30/2018 4:02 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/30/2018 4:13 PM

Money being no object, & accounting for your height, I'd say the stolen sinner would be your best bet. Next would probably be the fly. Lastly, the Mongoose. I'd toss the WTP Reason in there but at your height, I don't think you will be happy on anything under 21". That being said, there are people as tall as you who ride 20.75" bikes. Is subjective. If you aren't sure you will stick with it or are just a little Leary of spending so much, I don't think you'd be disappointed in the Mongoose. & if you got the Mongoose, & stuck with it, you could pick up something higher end later and have one bike for "testing" new tricks, etc... So you don't destroy you nicer bike. Just a thought.

|

7/31/2018 10:35 AM

OK boys, i took everything you said in to consideration!

The Mongoose Legion L100 looked great, especially for the price, BUT... I went with the Stolen Sinner FC 2018!

So.. I hope i can get used to ride with freecoaster, havent tried that before. Otherwise I'll just buy a cassette.

I will post pictures as soon as it gets here!

BR

|

7/31/2018 11:01 AM

1337-f337 wrote:

OK boys, i took everything you said in to consideration!

The Mongoose Legion L100 looked great, especially for the price, ...more

Congrats on the purchase man, I hope it serves you well. Looks like a very good choice.

I've rocked a coaster before, it did take a while to get used to the slack but after a couple days of active riding I didn't even notice it anymore. Fakies also feel funny at first but you'll get used to just chilling instead of pedaling.

And if you don't like it, I can always buy it from you and rig on my own bike since I started craving onegrin

|

7/31/2018 11:41 AM

Thanks man! Yeah, I've tried to read posts and reviews of Stolen bikes and seems like people used to hate on them. But couldnt find that much in more recent times other than their team cranks should be exceptionally good. And if i can't handle that coaster and end up installing a cassette, i might be willing to sell it to ya.. wink

|

7/31/2018 11:44 AM

Congrats dude! I'm sure you will love the bike! & while the Mongoose was certainly worthy of consideration, your choice is a much better bike! Can't wait to see the pics!

|

8/1/2018 11:35 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Congrats dude! I'm sure you will love the bike! & while the Mongoose was certainly worthy of consideration, your choice is ...more

I can't wait to get it! The shop is still processing the order, and here i hoped to get it before the weekend. :-/

|

8/6/2018 10:48 AM

Photo
|

8/6/2018 10:50 AM

Its nice and rides nicely, but damn.. I need a bigger bike. Theres no chance for me to hop bar spin at all! :-/

|

8/6/2018 10:54 AM

1337-f337 wrote:

Its nice and rides nicely, but damn.. I need a bigger bike. Theres no chance for me to hop bar spin at all! :-/

That might have to do with the massive bars at a wonky bar angle.

|

8/6/2018 11:01 AM

I fiddled with the bar angle. Doesnt really matter what angle theyre at.

|

8/6/2018 11:09 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/6/2018 11:16 AM

That whip looks epic. It does have quite massive bars tho, I wonder if you could survive with a bit narrower set and sling them bars like a madman?

Edit: Or are we assuming wrong and it's not the wide bars that make barspins impossible?

|

8/6/2018 11:36 AM

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/dk/en/fiction-monkey-bmx-bars/rp-prod155835

This is the handlebar.

I believe i need to get a more narrow bar tongue

|

8/6/2018 11:39 AM

"sling them bars like a madman?" I like that phrase!

|

8/6/2018 12:34 PM

Wow! That really looks nice, dude! Congrats! It'll take a bit to get used to tooling around on the small bike again. It'll come back to you tho. If the bars are too wide, you have hack a half inch off each end to help give you some clearance. If you choose to hack some off, less is more! Don't hack off an inch at a time from each side. You can take more off but putting it back on is much harder (& costly)!

Keep checking back in & updating us on your progress!

|

8/6/2018 7:33 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Wow! That really looks nice, dude! Congrats! It'll take a bit to get used to tooling around on the small bike again. It'll ...more

Lol yeah don't be like Bulletwink

|

8/7/2018 5:59 AM

Thanks bro! Yeh I've been riding it the whole night more or less.

Bunny hops are really low at this point and i am sure I will get to a decent height within a week. The bike feels too small though.

I have no idea how people at 6'5 rides a 21tt comfortably. I've already put this one up for sale and when thats gone I'll be going for that WTP Audio! I will continue to ride this till its sold though.

Anyone here within the EU who wants a Stolen Sinner FC 2018 for special price 4 u? wink

|