Should i take off my brakes

Related:
Create New Tag

4/4/2012 11:19 PM

I was wondering if it is worth it to take off my brakes. I do mostly street riding but occasionally do some park riding. I see some riders at the parks still with their brakes and was just wondering if its better with them off.

|

4/4/2012 11:23 PM

If you have to ask,no.

|

4/4/2012 11:23 PM

ask yourself that
not us
do you have good bike control?

|

4/4/2012 11:24 PM

NO

|

253-590-7620 *Text only , Thanks!*
Buying Refs: Ecuadevil, Trenydoo
Selling Refs: Spenlard, tyrich88, Pavimo, A08

Austin Read: You had a bitch pull out a strap-on on you?
Rstar: who hasn't?

4/4/2012 11:46 PM

leave em on, unless you want to do 2 barspins in a row

|

I put my spoke in her while I twisted her nipple.

4/5/2012 4:33 AM

I wouldn't remove your brakes till you feel 100% bike control and it's always safer to have the brake anyways never know when that car might pull out of a side street an near miss you just safer bro

|

4/5/2012 6:47 AM

what i did was i pretended my breaks went on so i got used to breakless then i just took them off

|

S[he's] Br[ok]en
S[he] Be[lie]v[ed]

4/5/2012 7:05 AM

bloghogs wrote:

If you have to ask,no.

This.

|

I don't ride a BMX bike to look cool to others, I do it because it's fun and never do I think "Boy I sure am cool on my BMX bike."
- Capt. Nemo

4/5/2012 8:25 AM

Riding brakeless is gay, I hate people that ride brakeless. Idiots

|

"The ratio of hours of building and maintaining trails is astronomically skewed in the wrong direction, but the pay off is indescribably worth it."

4/5/2012 8:34 AM

Just leave them on. The ONLY legitimate benefit is a cleaner looking setup. Anyone who says "you won't puss out" is a moron. Tons of people don't "wuss out" and they have brakes. That is a stupid excuse to be trendy. Same goes with "you learn better bike control". You get that anyway, by riding.

Perfect example is about 40 or so riders in my town, and maybe 4 of us run brakes. The other 90% are just brakeless because their friends do it or their favorite PROFESSIONAL riders do it. You aren't pro, leave em on.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

4/5/2012 8:41 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

Just leave them on. The ONLY legitimate benefit is a cleaner looking setup. Anyone who says "you won't puss out" is a moron. ...more

This man speaks truth

|

"The ratio of hours of building and maintaining trails is astronomically skewed in the wrong direction, but the pay off is indescribably worth it."

4/5/2012 8:46 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/5/2012 8:50 AM

I kind of think that learning how to ride brakeless earlier on helps out your bike control some. That being said don't go boosting around your streets or local park for a while until you feel really comfortable with it. Just ride your driveway or a non-busy spot for a little. Also you need to be alert of your surroundings, which you should be brakeless or not. I just see it as all personal preference

|

4/5/2012 8:50 AM

Fad3r wrote:

I kind of think that learning how to ride brakeless earlier on helps out your bike control some. That being said don't go ...more

I say leave them on, and try not using them BEFORE you take them off if you decide brakes aren't for you. My biggest pet peeve is a kid who took his brakes off, says he has control, then uses anything in his way to stop him, be it people, ramps, bikes, walls, rails ledges etc.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

4/5/2012 9:01 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/5/2012 9:04 AM

Fad3r wrote:

I kind of think that learning how to ride brakeless earlier on helps out your bike control some. That being said don't go ...more

dave lawrence wrote:

I say leave them on, and try not using them BEFORE you take them off if you decide brakes aren't for you. My biggest pet peeve ...more

Haha thats true. Listen to this guy, he's been riding longer than me

|

4/5/2012 2:22 PM

I mainly was asking because i have been racing bmx for a while and have been getting into freestyle lately and was just wondering what other people thought about it.

|

4/5/2012 4:18 PM

I have gone riding with younger kids that r brake less and they are stupid they don't watch traffic, Cars pull out out of nowhere, if you go brake less u have to look ahead and anticipate cars, if u drive a car u will be more alert on traffic most kids arent alert of traffic, so if ur one of those kids lol its better to stay alive than to look cool..

|

4/5/2012 5:27 PM

if you're looking to the forums to justify it for you then really why take them off? its personal preference, do you prefer them off?

|

-- doing business like its a business since 1985 --

"*a08 is awesome" -Penman166

T34416L3 TW1N5 - Terrible Twins (Twin Terrible One Barcodes) Brakes/Brakeless T1

a08's Ohio Standard - STOLEN - REWARD IF FOUND

WTB: Chrome GSport Birdcage Rims
WTB: S&M Pitchfork, 26mm
WTB: BSD Revolution Hub, RHD

4/5/2012 7:07 PM

hey even aaron ross is running brakes, brakes are back in style i guess

|

4/5/2012 8:49 PM

try it! it feels great, you can always go back... i rode brakeless for 2 years and now im using a gyro

|

HELLLLLL YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA ARGENITA

4/6/2012 6:48 AM

I recently took mine off after a long while only because I hate doing barspins with brakes on, some people can do them but my catch is too sloppy and I hit my hand in the lever.

|

trails are not skateparks, they exist solely from the work and dedication of local riders. so next time you start complaining about not having local trails to ride, you only need look at yourself.
Bike check?

4/6/2012 7:09 AM

There are so many drivers out there that don't see people on bikes. If you ride a lot of street but enjoy breathing, eating food that is not liquified, and having full use of your brain, keep your brakes on. Listen to Dave and abreezy and anyone else who are looking to keep you vertical.

|

Refs: Tito24, RiverSideRider, Stussy, Nettyspaghetti, Daniel24, Freddydapice, BrokenBMX, SuperstarDK, HardBMX_Tim. There's more, but I'm too lazy to look them up, haha.

4/6/2012 8:33 AM

IT depends where u live also, I live in L.A. and the traffic is crazy here
Cars pull out of nowhere and people on cells not looking at pedestrians
Pedestrians always have the right of way but that law is thrown out
The window if the drivers dont make eye contact with u, I had
Two friends in comas because they didnt keep alert of traffic, but
If u live in rural or little traffic areas it would be safer

|

4/6/2012 8:39 AM

Rene_Torres wrote:

IT depends where u live also, I live in L.A. and the traffic is crazy here
Cars pull out of nowhere and people on cells not ...more

They do that here, and St. Cloud is like 40,000 people. Nothing compared to LA.

Aaron Ross always ran brakes I thought? I don't recall an edit of him brakeless ever?

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

4/6/2012 9:12 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

They do that here, and St. Cloud is like 40,000 people. Nothing compared to LA.

Aaron Ross always ran brakes I thought? I ...more

yeah ive always seen aaron with brakes

|

refs- Tommyboy,mandingo215, lobo173, prophet,iridebmxeveryday,ctbmx86,1of1547,Warchol2,white knight,branBMX94,JakeSalbert

Subscribe to me on Youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/user/senika5634?feature=mhee

4/6/2012 10:36 AM

i thought he took his brakes off for a little bit?

|

virginia beach ~ instagram: @_harru_ ~ 4pegz