Sick of getting flat tires

Related:
Create New Tag

8/10/2018 12:29 AM

I got a 26er BMX, and in the roughly month and a half that I've had it, I've had three flat tires. The front and the back tires went flat within a week of me first purchasing the bike. I replaced the tubing along with adding a puncture resistant strip. Now, just the other day I've experienced yet another flat in my rear bike tire. The tube holds air when I pump it, but will then be flat again in the morning.

I don't know. I'm really considering giving this up. I can't keep replacing tire tubes every other week. Far too time and money consuming. Does anyone have any tips to prevent flat tires? I know nothing's 100% foolproof, but three flat tires in a month and a half of riding is ridiculous.

|

8/10/2018 12:30 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/10/2018 12:32 AM

Tell me about it , I checked my front tire yesterday it was good with full pressure , go to grab my bike today flat front tire , so frustrating , usually how it goes for me , my tires rarely die on the scene , check for sharp chunks of metal sticking out of the rim and sand them down or check to see if your spokes are too loose and poking into the tube

|

8/10/2018 12:33 AM

Do you know what caused it? Did you check the tyre for debris? Check the rim tape? You could fix the tube instead of replace it. I always just replace the tube, but I've literally had one puncture in 3 years. Slime works but it adds some weight, if you're just cruising it'll be fine

|

8/10/2018 1:16 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/10/2018 1:19 AM

On 26" you could try downhill MTB tubes if you're not worried about weight. They're much thicker than regular tubes and hold up much better against punctures. If your rim tape isn't covering all the spokes that can also cause punctures. Only other thing I can think of is that you're running small tubes in fat, round tyres. When I first used 2.4 tyres I noticed that every time I used a smaller 1.8 - 2.1" tube it would randomly deflate every couple of days and the tube was destroyed.

|

7/23/2020 4:29 PM

try getting another tube and cut it through all the way on the inside of it, then put that around the tube that u pump up and that should give it more protection...............................and if you are going to patch a tube, make sure your tyre has just a little bit of air in it and really rasp up the area your going to patch up as well

|

7/23/2020 5:11 PM

It could be a pinch flat from the bead not seating properly or possibly even a burr in the rim. I went through a streak a couple weeks ago where I burned through 3 tubes not seating them properly. Thankfully YouTube exists and I figured out what I was doing wrong

|

7/23/2020 5:26 PM

1. learn how to patch a tube. buying tubes is for rich people. I can patch a tube almost as fast as you can change the whole tube out. and you can use old tubes to make new patches. just buy some rubber cement.

2. figure out what is causing the holes. is there something stuck in the tire that needs to be removed? I've had TINY pieces of glass that were insanely hard to find.. Is the rim strip covering up the spoke nipples correctly?

3. how much air pressure are you running? too low can cause flat tires..

4. don't give up! everyone deals with flat tires, just like your shoe laces coming undone. but there are solutions, always.

|

7/23/2020 5:27 PM

It’s been two years, did you figure it out?

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

7/23/2020 5:31 PM

readybmxer wrote:

It’s been two years, did you figure it out?

GODDAMNIT!!!

lol.

can we ban the grave digger?

|

7/23/2020 5:35 PM

You guys have goat heads where you live?

|

7/23/2020 5:40 PM

jesse07bmx wrote:

try getting another tube and cut it through all the way on the inside of it, then put that around the tube that u pump up and ...more

Any danger of you ever commenting on a recent post?

|

Don’t put 25.4 bars in a 22.2 stem.

7/23/2020 6:12 PM

pnj wrote:

GODDAMNIT!!!

lol.

can we ban the grave digger?

Ahhh haha. XD

Didn’t even see your post cuz it was a minute before mine lol. At least this thread is mildly relevant.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn