Simple Question out of Curiosity

Related:
Create New Tag

8/13/2013 9:08 PM

I'm looking into getting an LHD hub for my bike, and as I was flipping through the Dan's Comp catalog yesterday I just got to wondering why RHD is so much more popular than LHD. There are literally zero complete bikes that have a left hand drive hub on them in the most recent issue. I don't know if the manufacturing process for LHD is harder than RHD or what, but I was just wondering if any of you know why it's so one-sided.

|

Refs: element4all, kroller

8/13/2013 9:17 PM

Because most riders are
1. Right foot forward
2. Grind on the left
And of I'm not mistaken, Stolen or Verde has a LHD choice.

|

Put in work.
Put in work.
Put in work.
Flacko put 'em in the dirt.

8/13/2013 9:19 PM

Fly has one also i think.

|

Check out my youtube channel!! http://www.youtube.com/user/mikel8149

8/13/2013 9:22 PM

FuckYoCult wrote:

Because most riders are
1. Right foot forward
2. Grind on the left
And of I'm not mistaken, Stolen or Verde has a LHD choice.

if your RFF you grind on your right, most ppl are actually LFF

|

MIDWEST MOTHER FUCKER

Bike Check
Bought from Tomdon, and ScramHype

8/13/2013 9:23 PM

jj0996 wrote:

if your RFF you grind on your right, most ppl are actually LFF

I meant to say left, and spin right.

|

Put in work.
Put in work.
Put in work.
Flacko put 'em in the dirt.

8/13/2013 9:35 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/13/2013 9:42 PM

Mikel8149 wrote:

FIT had one in 2011 or 2012, but they stopped producing it. Not sure why, though.

|

8/14/2013 12:00 AM

Mikel8149 wrote:

SIRE wrote:

FIT had one in 2011 or 2012, but they stopped producing it. Not sure why, though.

My friend has a 2013 Inman 3, it's LHD.

And it's because it's the industry standard. The obvious choice is to have RHD because all Mountain/Road Bikes are. It also means RHD Hubs/Cranks are readily available for use on completes, instead of having to redesign them for LHD, which will cost a fair bit. I'm not certain, but I'm pretty sure the industry standard is RHD as most countries drive on the left, which means if the Chain comes off, or something else drivetrain related breaks, then the rider can step on the pavement to fix it. It also relates to the side a horse is mounted, as they are traditionally mounted on the left, and if you get on your Bike on the left you won't rub your leg against the drivetrain (Remember in the early days of bicycles a lot of horses were around so a lot of people probably mounted their Bike on the same side as their horse). That kind of goes against my previous statement though. Finally, back in the days of Freewheels, which thread on, Right-tightening threads were the standard and the obvious choice (As they still are) which meant the Freewheel would be best to put on the right side. With all this RHD became the industry standard, and for the majority of the bike world, there is no reason to change (BMX is tiny compared to Road Biking and Mountain Biking and brings in considerably less profit, and RHD suits roughly half of BMXers anyway).

|

8/14/2013 6:19 AM

im left foot forward and grind right. but crank arm left. bar left. t bog left. whip left. spin right. and wall ride left. im pretty messed up. i just ride a beefy chain with a shadow guard and a million dollar.

|

Old bike VVV

California Living

I now have a more or less stock sunday scout with a complete Demo rear wheel. Sue me

8/14/2013 7:58 AM

stolen sinner comes in LHD and everyone where i live grinds right im like the only left grinder

|

8/14/2013 8:18 AM

no I do not

|

8/14/2013 11:53 AM

Where I live, most people are regular footed, and from what I've seen, maybe 70% of riders are regular footed (RFF), but traditional bikes all have the drive train on the right side, so I think thats why most manufacturers build RHD as default and let the rider get a LHD if they want to after.

|

Email: mccheesekid@gmail.com
Instagram: @McCheeseKid

Bought from: hrin, Me?, ecuadevil, regalracing, Dolphin

8/14/2013 1:19 PM

chad88 wrote:

stolen sinner comes in LHD and everyone where i live grinds right im like the only left grinder

why would you have a LHD bike when you grind on your left?

|

MIDWEST MOTHER FUCKER

Bike Check
Bought from Tomdon, and ScramHype

8/14/2013 2:46 PM

BMX_Forever wrote:

My friend has a 2013 Inman 3, it's LHD.

And it's because it's the industry standard. The obvious choice is to have RHD because all Mountain/Road Bikes are. It also means RHD Hubs/Cranks are readily available for use on completes, instead of having to redesign them for LHD, which will cost a fair bit. I'm not certain, but I'm pretty sure the industry standard is RHD as most countries drive on the left, which means if the Chain comes off, or something else drivetrain related breaks, then the rider can step on the pavement to fix it. It also relates to the side a horse is mounted, as they are traditionally mounted on the left, and if you get on your Bike on the left you won't rub your leg against the drivetrain (Remember in the early days of bicycles a lot of horses were around so a lot of people probably mounted their Bike on the same side as their horse). That kind of goes against my previous statement though. Finally, back in the days of Freewheels, which thread on, Right-tightening threads were the standard and the obvious choice (As they still are) which meant the Freewheel would be best to put on the right side. With all this RHD became the industry standard, and for the majority of the bike world, there is no reason to change (BMX is tiny compared to Road Biking and Mountain Biking and brings in considerably less profit, and RHD suits roughly half of BMXers anyway).

Yeah I just saw that the Inman has LHD. Thanks for your response. It was pretty interesting and insightful.

|