Skateparks a playground ?

Related:
Create New Tag

7/8/2018 10:00 PM

Hit this poll up ... wanting to see everyone’s opinions .

I myself am I little bit of them all . Everyone should be allowed , but if parents drop kids off and aren’t there to genuinely learn , they should wait until it’s an empty park . At the same time , if some 12 year old rides over and wants to learn , that’s sweet and you should help him out .

Are skateparks a playground ?

View Results

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

7/8/2018 10:49 PM

I had some fat chick a few weeks ago becasue one of my buddies flew over a flyout, and my buddy ate shit becasue her kid was playing with a basketball on the flyout landing. And my buddy got and didn't say ANYTHING. And this chick said to her kid, but purposely said it extra loud so we could hear, "I sure hope he doesn't complain, you (talking to her kid) have just as much right to be here as they do." And holy fuck did that piss me off, then, after that, her dumbass husband stood by a ledge 'mad dogging' us, he just stood there with his fists at his side with a pissed of look on his face... that whole situation pissed me off so much. But I kept riding, I was just pissed cuz my buddy slammed HARD and she was a fuckin bitch about it, she wasn't like, "Omg I'm so sorry are you okay?" And move her kid out of the way, she was just a bitch and continued let her kid play there on the flyout landing... I'm not pissed at the kid at all, the kid was probably 6-8 y/o and he didn't know, it's the goddarn parents fault for that...

But if there's a little kid in the park nor being a smartass punk, then yeah, I'll show him/her a thing or two, or give them a tip or something, I'm all about younger kids getting into the sport for sure... gotta show these younger kids how to use their balls instead of play with them! Hahahalaughing

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

7/8/2018 11:29 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/8/2018 11:31 PM

Of course kids of all ages should be welcome, just don't be an ignorant parent. Makes me sad when a 6 year old on a scooter starts talking to the older BMXers and their parents call them back and give you a funny look. Take your kids, but learn skatepark etiquette or let your kid talk to people that do. I remember how good it felt being 13 and getting in with the older crowd because I kept getting in their way so they showed me a few basics and they became my riding friends.

You wouldn't pay for a theatre ticket and complain when they tell you to stop talking on your phone half way through because you have "just as much right to be there".

|

7/8/2018 11:38 PM

I fucking despise little shit kids at the park. It's one thing to be a kid there like 10 years old with a little bit of common sense, but I see parents bring their fuckin like 5-6 year old fuck trophies there and let em just ride around aimlessly and into the bowl with no regard of anyone or anything, some of them even have the audacity to tell US to watch out.

I have no issue if they're legit TRYING to learn tricks, I've seen kids around 10 years old trying 180s or airs and that's fine I think that's awesome, but if you're just gonna have your idiot kid pedal around, take him to an open parking lot or come back when no one's there.

|

7/9/2018 12:08 AM

Anyone that isn't on a bmx, skateboard, Rollerblades, or scooter has no right to be there in my opinion. It's not a play park, and I bet they done absolutely zero to help get the park in the first place. Even kids on mountain bikes shouldn't be allowed (unless it's like a street mtb or jump bike). These stupid parents that let their kids use it like a play park have absolutely no right to get angry if their kid gets hit by a bike or board.

However, if some 5 year old is there on a scooter, even if he can barely stand up on it, they should be encouraged to learn.

|

7/9/2018 12:45 AM

At my local, the best time to ride is at night. During the day people literally just come there to smoke or drink and criticize people who are trying to learn new tricks. Plus half the parents are really toxic and if you try to tell a kid how they have to watch out for skaters and bikers their parents go off on you telling you you shouldn't talk to their kid like that.

|

7/9/2018 1:01 AM

Yeah it really pisses me off

We have a skatepark thats just walking distance from my house. Unfortunately theres a playground, walks and football fields next to it so every day its packed with 30-40 kids, all like 2-3-4 years old using the ramps as slides and just sliding down on their butts. The parents are just standing there watching, maybe leaving their dog run around there too while watching their kids.

I havent seen a BMX or skateboard in there in a LONG time. Its just unusable as a skatepark as its over-run with toddlers and young kids. You'd see the odd kid, about 6-8 on a scooter in there who works around the kids but thats it. Hes probably only there while his younger sister slides down the ramps on her butt.

Theres signs up saying for Skateboard, BMX, Rollerblade and Scooter use only. It says you have to be over 10 to be in there but parents dont care. Im sure if the skaters and BMXers went and rode on their kids playground they'd be quick to point out the signs though and point out that this area is for kids.

I have a 4 year old boy who loves going to the skatepark or BMX track on his 12 inch Cult Juvenille. Its just a pity because i have to drive him 30 mins each way to another skatepark so he can ride which means he cant get out as much as he wants

I always make sure to be at the park at like 8:30 in the morning with him and we are gone again by 9:30 - 10:00, as soon as the older kids start showing up.

Its great, he gets the park to himself (or maybe there might be one or two other kids his age there) and then we are gone and out of everyones way by the time they get there.

I just wish other parents were as considerate.

|

7/9/2018 2:09 AM

Yes I believe that kids shouldn't be aloud to run free on a skatepark without proper supervision from an adult that understands skatepark etiquette. You wouldn't let a kid run around a football pitch when people are playing/training. I've taken out a scooter kid really hard and also missed a kids head mid air over a jumpbox by inchs, they come out of no where with no consideration for anyone or even there own safety! I've tried talking to them as friendly as possible but you just get a vacant look back, they move for a second then as soon as you drop in they're straight back in the way again before you've got to the flat bottom! I have no problem with kids riding or doing any other thing at a skatepark, the problem is that they do not want to listen. But they are just kids and you should t get to angry, you should just continue to try and educate them and where possible talk to a parent in a friendly manner to point out that it is very dangerous and there are so many places that are a blind spot for you until it's too late, no one wants to ride into a kid it just happens!

|

7/9/2018 3:12 AM

Something something, broken leg

|

Hmmm

7/9/2018 7:12 AM

Edman123 wrote:

Something something, broken leg

This.

Fuck your kids at the skatepark. It's a skatepark. The reason it exists is so that skaters, BMXers, rollerbladers, and scooter kids don't destroy public or private property. Play on a playground, skate at a skatepark.

I have to deal with this shit constantly at my local park. The skatepark is sandwiched between a highway, basketball courts and then further down a playground.

Inevitably small kids migrate to the skatepark and end up just sitting on the ramps, A-Frames, or ledges. Running around, jumping out from behind shit, etc. All its going to take is one stray bail when I throw the bike away to go flying into a kid and I'm in a lawsuit. All it takes is one stray kid running out in front of someone (LOOKIN AT YOU ED) trying to land something and now they're in the hospital.

If you're trying to learn, that's cool. I'd never tell a kid either trying to learn or using the ramps for fun to leave. But if you're treating it like a playground and getting in the way, you're putting pretty much everyone there in danger.

This shit really bugs me, but I've confronted several parents about it and tried to be cool. I usually win the argument by telling them that I'm 33, lived in the neighborhood for 2 years before the park was built, and pay my taxes which pay for the park like everyone else.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

7/9/2018 7:37 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/9/2018 11:20 AM

Kids need to learn the skatepark, A skateboarder once said some of the truest words I've ever heard on the subject "When you let your kid run around a skatepark like it's nothing, it's like letting them run around the field during an active Football game."

You have 120-250lbs guys going very fast on skateboards and 20lbs+ bikes, Hyperfocusing on the trick in front of them. It's a very dangerous environment if you don't know what you're doing and it is no place for a child that does not know what they're doing.

If they're learning-that's fine, that's why the park is there-but otherwise parents needs to learn the skatepark is a very FAST, DANGEROUS PLACE where little kids can get seriously hurt.

|

7/9/2018 8:13 AM

Scooter kids are good at being speed bumps

|

7/9/2018 8:15 AM

U.P.O. wrote:

We have a skatepark thats just walking distance from my house. Unfortunately theres a ...more

You know what. I absolutely live this post. Fuckin love it. I LOVED the part when you said if all the kids who should be playing at the play park are in the skatepark, go ride the damn play park! That's a freaking wonderful idea and is a great idea..

And the rest if your post was awesome as well.

|

7/9/2018 8:21 AM

the best time to go to the skatepark is dawn, before everyone wakes up. I'm cool with people learning, but i get annoyed quick regardless.

|

It’s all bmx

7/9/2018 10:15 AM

The best time to ride a skatepark is........ Ride street instead.

|

7/9/2018 10:28 AM

I have no problem with kids actually riding or skating or whatever but I have yelled at and chased people out of the park for things like rolling a fucking hockey ball around the banks and almost killing 2 or 3 people, a mom brought her kid into the center of the flow area when the skatepark was packed with training wheels to teach the kid how to pedal. Fuck no. When the trainers are gone sure but no fucking way are you taking up the entire flow area to teach a kid to pedal. WTF? I think I actually screamed, "Get the fuck out of here" at that lady and then explained how stupid, selfish and dangerous what she was doing was.

Honda you should have told that fat lady and her asshole husband to fuck off to a basketball court. They don't, in fact, have the right to play with a God damned ball in the skatepark. It's a skatepark. There are ball parks/courts literally everywhere. Or just keep riding the fly-out almost smoking them. It's their stupid choice.

|

7/9/2018 10:37 AM

CHILDISHGAMBINO wrote:

I have no problem with kids actually riding or skating or whatever but I have yelled at and chased people out of the park for ...more

Yeah I know, that bitch and her husband were fucking annoying as hell, it easy funny as literally right next to the skatepark was, a giant empty parking lot. A play park for kids, a basketball court, a hocky rink, tennis courts, and ALL sorts of other shit too... I was so pissed, thankfully they left soon after..

|

7/9/2018 11:44 AM

I will talk to the parents-if a kid has almost been railed while cruising, I will let the parents know their kid needs to be aware of their surroundings as I saw them almost get plowed/almost ran into them, and spin it nicely as a concern of their kids' safety.

Then I tell them when it is quieter so the kids can cruise without issue.

If the kids are running around and not skating etc, I tell the kids it is not a playground for running around.If parents get in my face I shut them down by telling them that I will stop watching for their kids-and it will be THEIR FAULT for gross negligence of their own children's well-being.

Also if my property is damaged OR I get hurt due to this negligence, I will be consulting legal counsel, as their children's misuse of the park would be the direct cause of injury/damage-therefore they would be responsible as the parent/legal guardians of the kid(s).

Use enough legal jargon/large words and people get scared.

If they are nice about it, I spin it as genuine concern for safety, which makes me look like a hero.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

7/9/2018 12:04 PM

U.P.O. wrote:

We have a skatepark thats just walking distance from my house. Unfortunately theres a ...more

I do the same with my son, we ride until it is starting to get busy, then we go home and ride out front or go cruise to a school or something. He loves it all.

I would honestly start calling the police and get the rules enforced at the local park. Go to the city about it. Show up and get photo and video proof first though, to show what a problem it is.

That's the hard part, most people don't understand it is NOT for tiny kids to play on.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

7/9/2018 12:21 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/9/2018 12:22 PM

Seen so many videos of parents losing it on someone who runs into their kid , that’s why after you run over their kid you gotta hit the parents with a pre emptive strike and run them over too , they won’t be expecting it and it will leave them in shock

|

7/9/2018 12:27 PM

eskimojay wrote:

Seen so many videos of parents losing it on someone who runs into their kid , that’s why after you run over their kid you ...more

At this point I'm gonna just start tossing my bike at parents and screaming "DAMMIT MATT, DOWN AND TRIANGLE FOR MISTY FLIPS. DOWN AND TRIANGLE!"

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

7/9/2018 1:32 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

I had some fat chick a few weeks ago becasue one of my buddies flew over a flyout, and my buddy ate shit becasue her kid was ...more

Wow...

|

7/9/2018 10:23 PM

We all were that annoying kid at the park that snaked guys and just rode around not even pulling up. Kids gotta learn somehow. George Hoernig and John Jennings taught me proper park etiquette ASS and Incline Club. We were cool before I left NJ. The guys at Staff (Bob & Biggins) taught me shop etiquette.

Point is, they should be allowed and taught by the more experienced people. I remember I snaked Brad Gethard and almost killed us both. Kids gotta start somewhere and if we're dicks to them while they're still learning, they'll never touch a board or a bike again... If they rollerblade or scooter though... let them ride your bike or something.

Moral: Be nice to kids because you might be being a dick to the next Garrett Reynolds.

|

7/13/2018 5:03 PM

its simple. if kids can play at skateparks, we can skate at playparks.

in seriousness theres no transportation equipment allowed at playgrounds(parks) because of the danger.
so why tf does anyone think a playground but instead of for kids is for dangerous moving objects is safe for kids.

|

Bunny hop and take your thumbs off
Tuck no footer
Tuck no fingers
Fakie switch bunny hop
Nose manual 1 ruler - krookedude

7/14/2018 12:52 AM

shef wrote:

in seriousness theres no transportation equipment ...more

On this note, one or two parks near me have some funny kind of hard packed dirt transitions that are fun to ride. But obviously I go long after any kid has left the park

|

Hmmm

7/15/2018 8:17 PM

shef wrote:

in seriousness theres no transportation equipment ...more

Edman123 wrote:

On this note, one or two parks near me have some funny kind of hard packed dirt transitions that are fun to ride. But ...more

street niggas be like " ill be back "

|

Bunny hop and take your thumbs off
Tuck no footer
Tuck no fingers
Fakie switch bunny hop
Nose manual 1 ruler - krookedude

7/15/2018 9:35 PM

I've seen every scenario that comes from a crash like this from cops, fights, hugs, threats, to ambulances. let me just say that this is the risk of entering a public place built for these activities and anyone who is knowingly there participating is in an agreement with the city and anyone else using the park as its intended. If you're following the rules then there's no reason to be causing a scene. Likewise, if you're breaking the rules then anyone who is "hurt" because of you or your kids actions is in for a classic court room butt fucking you won't soon forget. I'm going to get me a fatty settlement when I'm tired of working one day man I can't wait to get my piece. The American way pathetic as it is does seem more appealing as I get older hah

|

@coupd_tat

7/16/2018 1:03 PM

Here is the situation:

It’s open to the public so even if you hate it it’s not wrong for kids to be there with or without parents. And if you do something stupid like cuss them out or something you can get in trouble with parents or the police or both. Sadly it is fact, I have seen kids just hanging out texting and can’t say anything about it except ask them to move nicely. If you see parents go tell them what you are going to do and the kids have the right to be there...you understand that. But, if I fall and they are in that area (point it out) they might be hurt if my bike flys that direction.

It’s not full proof but sometimes being smart and nice pay off. Most times I do what I said above the parents thank me and make the kids move. Key is pissed or not you have to be cool about it. If it is just kids, warning them nicely can really be helpful. But it is the hardest one because most either don’t care (till they get hit) or will make it really hard to even do anything. Try it out and see just be cool and it might pay off.

|

7/16/2018 2:24 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/16/2018 2:25 PM

Gonna sound like a dick for this but I purposefully buzz kids and parents if they're not watching out. Sometimes a close encounter is all that's needed.

|

7/17/2018 2:45 AM

Sorry, TLDR all replies, but I think it’s a definite no to use the skatepark as a playground. If anything, I’m more mad at people who just hang out on ledges and sit on the ramps, not the kids who are actually trying to somewhat use them.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn