Slackless Freecoasters

Related:
Create New Tag

9/23/2018 10:16 AM

I was just trying my friends bike and he had almost no slack in his freecoaster. I don't really know much about freecoasters so please go easy on me. Do you guys have any recommendations because i want to get one with minimal slack

|

smile

9/23/2018 10:22 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/23/2018 10:23 AM

Any coaster can be adjusted to have a small amount of slack; the amount of slack is defined by the spacer stack. I'd suggest an Odyssey Clutch, they're one of the nicest coasters I've had and the v1 is going pretty cheap at the moment: [link]

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

9/23/2018 10:39 AM

Running a coaster with very little slack literally defeats the purpose of it...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

9/23/2018 10:45 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/23/2018 10:48 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

If you can nail it with minimal slack then I don't think you need the extra? As long as you don't have to pedal backwards. Not saying it's easy tho

|

9/23/2018 11:01 AM

Rabbe wrote:

If you can nail it with minimal slack then I don't think you need the extra? As long as you don't have to pedal backwards. Not ...more

I'd agree but 180ing down a drop straight to your ass because your coaster engaged is no fun.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

9/23/2018 11:11 AM

p1p1092 wrote:

I'd agree but 180ing down a drop straight to your ass because your coaster engaged is no fun.

Yeah I agree, tried it too many timesgrin Just mentioned it because I think there are riders that would benefit from not having to pedal backwards but do tricks/have a riding style where they could still make it work with less slack.

|

9/23/2018 11:12 AM

Rabbe wrote:

If you can nail it with minimal slack then I don't think you need the extra? As long as you don't have to pedal backwards. Not ...more

Id rather ride a cassette then an almost slackless freecoaster to be honest...

It's just super sketchy...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

9/23/2018 12:05 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Rabbe wrote:

Im decent at fakies. I used to ride with about an 8th or 16th of a crank to engage but got frustrated by how many times it would engage when riding fakie if my body positioning wasnt perfect. Some amazing riders can get away with minimal slack but my recomendation is to go max slack and just learn where your coaster engages so you have the option of completely disengaging it and having plenty of room for error, or pedal just enough so its ready to re-engage early.

I coast with my left foot down and give a half crank if I want to be able to pedal out.

If I want it disengaged, I coast with my right foot down and back pedal to where my right foot is forward.

If I want to be super sure its max disengaged, I do a full backpedal rotation.

|

9/23/2018 3:20 PM

When I ran free coaster I ran minimal slack , as long as you commit to your moves you won’t land on your ass , if I’m going to do a trick I’m doing it full commit with intention to stomp it , Running lots of slack is like having the mindset I might screw up , can’t be doing that

|

9/23/2018 6:53 PM

Slack all day! Been riding with some dudes lately and I’m the only one on casette lol. My favourite is one bike that has a half crank of slack. I put my feet switch, then do half a forward crankflip and the pedals stop right where you need them to pedal away.

|

9/23/2018 6:54 PM

As mentioned, I'd HIGHLY suggest running a good amount of slack. Unless you're feet are dead immobile when you land fakie, it'll work for you, but what are the chances?

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

9/23/2018 7:03 PM

eskimojay wrote:

When I ran free coaster I ran minimal slack , as long as you commit to your moves you won’t land on your ass , if I’m going to ...more

I dont ride with a helmet because wearing a helmet is like having the mind set I might screw up. Cant be doing that.

C'mon now.. This is action sports, you are going to screw up at some point & you'll be much better off having the proper equipment to prevent it from being worse than it could be.

Just my 2 cents, but if you're new to Freecoasting, RIDE MAXIMUM SLACK. You are going to have to adjust to it either way, so you might as well just play it safe while you're in the learning stages of coasting. You can always add a slack washer or two once you're acclimated to coasting and have a good understanding of how they work/how far your feet move while riding.

Oh & P.S.; Every freecoaster has instant engagement if you don't pedal backwards whatsoever..

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

9/24/2018 9:42 AM

I ride with minimal slack, but I'm also a piece of shit.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

9/24/2018 6:08 PM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

I ride with minimal slack, but I'm also a piece of shit.

That’s not a bad thing , that just means your honest , that’s a good thing to have the balls to to be honest

|