Slipping bars

Related:
Create New Tag

2/11/2018 6:18 AM

Over the past couple months my bars have started slipping and I am basically stumped. I have checked the knurling on my bars and it's perfectly fine. I have my stem tightly clamped (not overtightened) and for some reason my bars will not stay upright without slowly slipping backwards. What do y'all think? Should I look into a new stem with a better clamping area since I run a split cap?
Thanks in advance

|

Follow me on instagram @69instagreg
BOTTOM TEXT

2/11/2018 6:29 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/11/2018 6:30 AM

Did you take your bars off, and wipe off the clamping area? Because when they slip, the knurling on the bars will grind away some of the aluminum on your stem. It turns into a powder, and can cause the bars to slip even more. Always keep the clamping area clean. It helps a lot. If not, you might just need a new stem. Just get a decent one and it won't slip.

|

2/11/2018 6:30 AM

I dont trust the stems when they are not utilizing the full clamping area. Im sure they work fine, just a mental thing.

If your bars are still appropriately knurrled, id say the stem would have to be the culprit.

|

2/11/2018 6:31 AM

It might be new stem time. Stuff wears out

|

2/11/2018 6:45 AM

ggallin422 wrote:

Did you take your bars off, and wipe off the clamping area? Because when they slip, the knurling on the bars will grind away some of the aluminum on your stem. It turns into a powder, and can cause the bars to slip even more. Always keep the clamping area clean. It helps a lot. If not, you might just need a new stem. Just get a decent one and it won't slip.

This x100. I can't count the amount of times I couldn't figure out why my bars wouldn't stay in place, come to find out there was some metal shavings in there. Wiped em out with a paper towel and no more slippage.

Also, check to make sure your bars aren't crushed. I've had that happen with some cheap Hi-Tensil bars before.

Also I remember reading that split caps should theoretically grip better, but I could be wrong. My BSD Stacked has a cut out on the inside of the faceplate that makes it function like a split cap, though that could just be for weight savings.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

2/11/2018 6:47 AM

ggallin422 wrote:

I did notice a fine dust when I took my bars off. I cleaned it off since and will try it out in a while. If that's not the case I'll probably be looking into getting a new stem, although I have only had this stem about a year and it was a bit pricey. Any recs?

|

BOTTOM TEXT

2/11/2018 6:49 AM

GCBMX69 wrote:

I did notice a fine dust when I took my bars off. I cleaned it off since and will try it out in a while. If that's not the case I'll probably be looking into getting a new stem, although I have only had this stem about a year and it was a bit pricey. Any recs?

I can almost guarantee that fine dust is exactly what was causing your bars to slip. Let us know!

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon

2/11/2018 6:51 AM

ggallin422 wrote:

GCBMX69 wrote:

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

I can almost guarantee that fine dust is exactly what was causing your bars to slip. Let us know!

I'm going to the skatepark later today and I'll update if it either fixes my issue or doesn't.

|

BOTTOM TEXT

2/11/2018 7:18 AM

Could have crushed your bars. They tend to slip easier when they're crushed

|

2/11/2018 7:19 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Could have crushed your bars. They tend to slip easier when they're crushed

My bars don't really look or feel crushed on the clamping area but that could be a possibility.

|

BOTTOM TEXT

2/11/2018 7:40 AM

If you still have those FuBars, I wouldn't really worry about them being crushed.... but if you're looking for a good stem recommendation, look at the Fit Hi-Top V.2.... it's like $25 and it's an awesome stem!

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

2/11/2018 8:55 AM

Back to the basics, are the gaps between the stem and stem plate even? If you don't tighten the bolts in an X pattern this can cause bars to slip all day because of uneven gap in the clamp area of the stem from being tightened unevenly.

|

2/11/2018 9:16 AM

Shredkink9 wrote:

Back to the basics, are the gaps between the stem and stem plate even? If you don't tighten the bolts in an X pattern this can cause bars to slip all day because of uneven gap in the clamp area of the stem from being tightened unevenly.

The x-pattern doesn't apply to a split faceplate stem.

|

2/11/2018 9:20 AM

Shredkink9 wrote:

Yeah, it is even. I. Think the problem might have just been the dust from the bars grinding the stem as ggallin442 said earlier in the thread.

|

BOTTOM TEXT

2/11/2018 9:32 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

I dont trust the stems when they are not utilizing the full clamping area. Im sure they work fine, just a mental thing.

If your bars are still appropriately knurrled, id say the stem would have to be the culprit.

Even full faceplate stems are usually machined out loads. You very rarely get stems now that use the full clamping area

|

2/11/2018 10:53 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

grumpySteve wrote:

Even full faceplate stems are usually machined out loads. You very rarely get stems now that use the full clamping area

All 3 of my current stems have full contact, if I remember correctly.

|

2/11/2018 10:58 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

grumpySteve wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

All 3 of my current stems have full contact, if I remember correctly.

My Profile Push, Odsy SXTN, & Subrosa High Life all were.

My BSD Stacked literally looks like they were halfway through splitting the cap from the inside, then they were like "nah nvm" just send it as is.grin

|