Slipping cassette.

Related:
Create New Tag

8/30/2018 6:14 PM

Old guy here and got a new bike to ride again last year.

So every once in awhile (usually) after doing fakies, when I give a crank there is a noticiable "clunk" It has happened a few times over 2 different crank sets and 3 different sprockets. My chain line is great my sprocket is straight. So I am thinking I my cassette is slipping... What would be a good course of action?

|

8/30/2018 7:09 PM

What hub do you have?

If its old you may need new pawls and springs possibly...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

8/30/2018 8:19 PM

It is a SALT EX. Seems to be a 1 spring 4 pawls set up. Came on my 2017 WTP Crysis.

|

8/31/2018 12:09 AM

Interesting, definitely sounds like it could be the cassette. It's not particularly old tho

|

8/31/2018 1:27 AM

Probably a good idea to clean all of the grease out and replace it with a lighter oil.
Because it sounds like one of the pawls might just be stuck down from the gunk

|

Hmmm

8/31/2018 3:20 AM

Edman123 wrote:

Probably a good idea to clean all of the grease out and replace it with a lighter oil.
Because it sounds like one of the pawls ...more

Yeah do this.

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

8/31/2018 4:30 AM

Everything on the drivetrain will wear at a slightly different rate. It's very possible that something just doesn't quite engage perfectly and occasionally doesn't interact the way it should. I'd bet the chain is worn enough to not engage on a brand new sprocket perfectly. The only bikes that don't do this from time to time are the ones with a ridiculously tight chain. In order for it to be the driver, more than one pawl would have to stick (because the others will still engage properly). There's no harm in cleaning it out and bending the spring a touch, but I wouldn't have thought it would make a huge difference (with 3 pawl systems, all pawls are supposed to engage at the same time. So if one sticks, the other 2 will still engage, preventing it from slipping)

|

8/31/2018 6:37 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Everything on the drivetrain will wear at a slightly different rate. It's very possible that something just doesn't quite ...more

3 pawl hubs are supposed to work like that but they dont...lol

Have you ever spun your cranks super slowly backwards and listen to the pawls?

I can hear 3 individual clicks if I spin my antigram slowly.

Whats probably happening is there are times when just one pawl is hanging on for dear life and it gives up and slips into a position where its supported by the other pawls.

Ive had hubs like that and as I said my antigram even does that very rarely. smile

|

8/31/2018 7:02 AM

The chain isn't the original chain anymore. When I got a new one when I upgraded my cranks and sprocket (28t from 25t). I did all that about 2 month ago. I got the same occasional clunk with my old stock cranks and 2 other sprockets. On my older cranks and sprockets my chain line wasn't the best but it was fine. With these new parts it is the best it has been.

Time to dig into the hub!!

|