Sluggish tires

Related:
Create New Tag

4/11/2019 1:38 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/11/2019 3:03 AM

So I bought some new kink wright tires in 2.2 this is going from animal GLH tires in 2.25 but for some reason the kink tires are so much slower I thought narrower tires were meant to feel faster even though it only .05. But it shouldnt feel slower should it?

|

4/11/2019 4:31 AM

What PSI are you using? The lower the PSI, the more "sluggish" they'll feel. Also, tires are made differently. Some bay have a softer sidewall & if you are running the same pressure as your old tires, that had a stiffer sidewall, they will feel more sluggish as well.

|

4/11/2019 4:50 AM

If I’m not mistaken they make 2 types. One for 65 psi and a HP for 100 psi.

|

4/11/2019 5:03 AM

Whookid570 wrote:

If I’m not mistaken they make 2 types. One for 65 psi and a HP for 100 psi.

Either way, you could run 75-80 PSI in the 65 & + on the 100 if you wanted. Tires are tested to withstand pressures beyond their recommended PSI. I forget what the percentage is but it's like 20% or something like that. Someone who remembers might chime in on that.

|

4/11/2019 7:25 AM

Hahaha I had Kink Severs for a while and those were the slowest most sluggish tires I've ever had. Sounds like Kink tires are just no good

|

4/11/2019 7:35 AM

you want tires that are insanely fast as fuck? 1.75 odyssey frequency g tires

http://flatlandfuel.com/odysseyfrequencygwirebeadtire.aspx

|

fack off

4/11/2019 8:17 AM

Rim width, TPI and pressure all play a hand in the way a tire feels and handles.

|

Make BMX Metal Again!

Pedal Driven Cycles www.pedaldrivencycles.com

Mainline Outdoors www.mainlineoutdoors.bigcartel.com

4/11/2019 9:58 AM

This is why I wish tires had a durometer rating in the description. Much better than “with a stiffer tread than last year”

|

4/11/2019 10:45 AM

My tires say max 65 psi. I run 55 psi rear and 45 psi front because I'm a fattie.

|

4/11/2019 12:37 PM

If anything, pump them up. If not, your next pair should be thinner.

I run 90 PSI in my 1.96” Maxxis tires. Speed for days.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike. Instagram: @scootereyn // YouTube: RH MEDIA

4/11/2019 1:17 PM

A higher TPI rating will give you a stiffer casing to the tire. Wider rims support the side wall of the tire as well, allowing for less deformation under stress.

|

Make BMX Metal Again!

Pedal Driven Cycles www.pedaldrivencycles.com

Mainline Outdoors www.mainlineoutdoors.bigcartel.com

4/11/2019 1:19 PM

I ran the GLH 2.25 looking for a puncture-resistant tire and found them to be sluggish feeling, so I could only imagine what those Kink tires must feel like.

Ive tried 5 different tires (Demolition Momentum, Odyssey Path Pro, Cult Vans, Animal GLH, S&M speedball) and the S&M were the quickest, most agile feeling by far. The Demolition Momentum were close though.

On the advice of posters here, I'm gonna try the Fit FAF and the Eclat Mirage but if I don't like those tires, I'm just gonna stock up on the Speedballs and call it a day. I'm hoping to find a tire that's fast feeling and somewhat puncture-resistant (the one downfall of the Speedballs) and both the FAF and Mirage have some sort of extra layer to resist punctures.

|

4/11/2019 4:07 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

What PSI are you using? The lower the PSI, the more "sluggish" they'll feel. Also, tires are made differently. Some bay have a softer sidewall & if you are running the same pressure as your old tires, that had a stiffer sidewall, they will feel more sluggish as well.

I run 80-100 psi so that shouldnt be the issue

|

4/11/2019 4:17 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/11/2019 4:18 PM

Are you comparing new to new? A worn* out tread will always be faster because theres less tread adding to your rolling resistance. If you are, and ur running high psi, then its def just the softness of the rubber.

|

4/11/2019 6:58 PM

XxCAKEWOLFxX wrote:

Are you comparing new to new? A worn* out tread will always be faster because theres less tread adding to your rolling resistance. If you are, and ur running high psi, then its def just the softness of the rubber.

That's probably the reason I ran the animal tires to the very last legs of there life thats explains it

|

4/11/2019 7:47 PM

A lot of new style tires feel sluggish because they a being made with the assumption that most people run 25 psi and want balloons for tires.

|

I believe in hub guard protection