Small chain predicament

Related:
Create New Tag

3/5/2018 10:01 AM

Hi guys!

I got a new chain today, and it's one of those weird chains that has a halflink on them.
Problem is that this makes me get my chainline wrong.

At the point where I need to break the chain, it has a male link, and the halflink is also male (the circles in red)

I could remove the halflink, and break the chain at a female link and then pit it together like that (green circles) - right?

But how do I go about doing that? Do I use the black pin that's at the end of the halflink?

Or do I fully remove the pin from the female link (blue arrow) and then use the regular pin from the male link that remains after getting rid of the halflink, to put the chain together? (orange arrow)

This is the first time I'm doing this laughing

Photo

|

3/5/2018 10:10 AM

Yea you can do that. The halflink is to assist with dialing in weird chainstay lengths on all these frames where they are down to the like 20th of an inch difference.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

3/5/2018 10:17 AM

Yeah, remove the half-link. You push the pin out but not all the way out. The end of the pin remains in the one side of the male plate. The the female end of the chain going in & you push the pin back thru the female & into the other end of the male plate. Just make sure you have equal parts thru each male plate when finished.

|

3/5/2018 10:32 AM

Thanks guys! ^_^

God help me get it right!laughing

|