Small predicament with chain alignment

Related:
Create New Tag

12/2/2016 3:54 PM

Hi Guys!

So, as the title says it, I have a small issue with my chain alignment.
Actually, I don't really know how to align it...
Is there a trick to make it perfectly lined up?
Or you just go at it by eye approximation?

Because, in my case, it seems that the main washer should be thinner so that the chain can be perfect...but it would hit my frame sad

Am I doing it wrong?
I have a WTP Buck frame, Demolition Mugatu 28t sprocket and a Colony wasp hub.

Also, if I were to put a spacer, the ones that came with the cranks are too thick

Photo

Here i how it looks:

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Any tricks that you guys know of?

|

12/2/2016 6:45 PM

It's fine dude

|

It’s all bmx

12/2/2016 6:54 PM

Just ride it as it is and if there are issues, tackle them later.

It's actually really hard to get perfect alignment these days with the GIANT tires and whatnot. You would almost need an offset BB to make it happen.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

12/2/2016 11:30 PM

Add the spacer, it won't be that far out. Or put a small dimple in your frame by smacking something with a hammer (like a socket extension) where your sprocket touches. Or get a smaller sprocket.

|

12/5/2016 12:21 AM

Thanks guys! :D
I added the spacer, and it's actually quite good

I'll do a bike check soon :D

|

12/5/2016 8:00 PM

Yup. Usually, a setup never has a PERFECTLY aligned chain setup anyways.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

12/6/2016 2:06 PM

readybmxer wrote:

Yup. Usually, a setup never has a PERFECTLY aligned chain setup anyways.

I wonder is there is a machine that can how you how well aligned your chain is smile)

Anyways, I finally managed to fully install my cranks, and god have mercy on my soul when I'll need to change the BB smile))

One quick question.
The crank bolts and arms went all the way through into the spindle, I mean all the way.
And I remember reading something on the Profile website that it should go in only 3/4 or 1/2?
http://www.profileracing.com/installing-the-profile-outboard-bb/

Photo

Mine is all the way through, would this cause any troubles?

Photo

|

12/7/2016 6:10 AM

Nah

|

It’s all bmx

12/7/2016 7:47 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/7/2016 7:55 AM

"The crank bolts and arms went all the way through into the spindle, I mean all the way.
And I remember reading something on the Profile website that it should go in only 3/4 or 1/2?"

They crank arms should go on far enough to very firmly be on the spindle. So yeah, 3/4 or more. Not 1/2. But there also needs to be room for the crank bolt to tighten against the end of the spindle. How long is your spindle? Normally they're 5.5" or 5.75".

All About Bicycle Chainline
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chainline.html

Chain alignment
http://www.vitalbmx.com/forums/General-BMX-Talk,2/Chain-alignment,1304263
|

12/7/2016 1:12 PM

Many thanks guys! :D

It's a 5.75"
It was a close call, almost didn't made it, and I thought I'll have to get the arms off and add a spacer on the non-drive side. But it's all good and tight now :D

|