Snakebites flats - at @90psi

Related:
Create New Tag

5/28/2017 12:50 PM

How is that even possible?

Today, I was going to hop a 15" curb, but someone appeared from nowhere in front of me, and instead of going full on the curb, I landed with my front wheel on it.
Mind you that it wasn't sharp or anything.

I weight 60kg, and my speed and height at that time wasn't big at all!
And, my tires are always around 80-90-100psi, so I reckon I had at least 90psi at the moment.

Besides focking up my knee in the bars ... I got a snakebite flat sad

How is that even possible at such a high pressure?
Also, I have the right tubes for my 2.4 BSD donnasqueak tires...

|

5/28/2017 6:50 PM

So your back wheel cased but your front wheel cleared the hop ? It's not a surprise really that it'll pop , anytime you case something it puts force on the tire and the tube is bound to get pinched eventually . I run 90 PSI but it's bound to happen , although not as often as say with 30 PSI.

I want to say maybe the tube was a thin one or the rim tape is just not placed correctly

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

5/29/2017 12:16 AM

That's what happens when you case a curb, or anything else at a right angle.

|

5/29/2017 2:08 AM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

So your back wheel cased but your front wheel cleared the hop ? It's not a surprise really that it'll pop , anytime you case ...more

Actually I cased it with my front tire laughing

The tube was a 2.5 one, so it was quite thick. I'm thinking about cutting the old one and put it between the new tube and the tire.

I see. I thought that running high pressure in my tires meant no snakebites laughing but since this is clearly not the case, I'll have to be more careful

|

5/29/2017 2:10 AM

ggallin422 wrote:

That's what happens when you case a curb, or anything else at a right angle.

Yeah, I guess it was a pretty right angle laughing
It also left a kind of a dent in my tire sad

|

5/29/2017 6:54 AM

Make sure you check that your rim tape didnt move around when you got the flat when you change your tube. Happened once to me

|

5/29/2017 7:42 AM

That is kind of strange for it to happen to your front tire. You must have hit it pretty hard. Like super-pawl said, check that your rim strip is covering every hole in your rim completely. I kept getting flats after I bought a new wheel, because the rim strip that came with my rim was too narrow, and those little tiny holes, I think to vent gases during welding kept causing my flats. Either that or a bad tube, or you hit it too hard. If you felt the rim rit the curb, that's all it takes.

|

5/30/2017 12:10 AM

Can I just point out that no curb should be fifteen inches high...

What everyone else said, really.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

5/30/2017 1:44 AM

readybmxer wrote:

Can I just point out that no curb should be fifteen inches high...

What everyone else said, really.

Haha, yes!
But here we need them that tall or otherwise every asshole would park their cars on the sidewalk(they already do this on smaller curbs).

Anyways, I changed the tube and yes, it's a snakebite.
Also, checked the rimtape and everything looks ok, so it seems I did hit it too hard sad
I'll try pumping them up to 110psi from now on laughing

|

5/30/2017 5:53 PM

am-shaegar wrote:

Haha, yes!
But here we need them that tall or otherwise every asshole would park their cars on the sidewalk(they already do ...more

Ah, I see. smile

Glad the problem's solved!

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

6/1/2017 1:01 PM

Over 55-65 psi you should not have a ton of pinch flat issues. A pinch flat or snake bite normally has 2 smaller holes on each side of the tube. A picture would be nice just to see the hole. Using an old tube between the tube and tire works, to prevent stuff from going into your tires but not from pinch flats.

Check the rim, rim strip and tire for anything that should not be there.

When you put everything back together never use anything metal or sharp. Once you have the tire on pump the it up to 20-30 psi and bounce it a few times on the ground. This will help make sure everything is seated correctly. Then put it on the bike and pump it up to the psi you like.

|

6/2/2017 11:17 AM

Sounds like the problem started when you inflated the tube.

|