Snapped my Odyssey Thunderbolt cranks today in an interesting place.

Related:
Create New Tag

5/31/2020 6:38 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/31/2020 6:43 PM

almost 7 years old. Can't say I've seen them break here before. Seen them crack/break along the welds, and even along the non-drive side arm where the wedge interface goes... but this is a new one, and I was just looking them over and it looks like a crack is starting to go through the spindle too. Was out riding street, neat little wall-to-wall set up that's slightly slanted. I had a few ideas for it but wanted to get comfortable first so I hit a slow oppo wallride first, felt like shit, hit it again and it again felt like shit but upon landing it felt like I snapped my chain. I look down and I'm like "wait, where the fuck did my crank go?" then I realized what happened. I thought my foot just blew off the pedal when my "chain" snapped. Fortunately since I was still feeling it out and going slow, I didn't get hurt. But damn I was bummed cause I still really felt like riding... Hit Odyssey up about warranty (inb4 "waranty dum bye profil crank" comment from our resident eskimo) so I'll be sorted out soon hopefully. I have a spare set to ride in the meantime, they're not a good set, but they're something to ride at least. Scary to think just an hour or so before I snapped it I was riding at the park and riding normally like hitting the handrail, 3ing the pyramid, etc, and at any given moment it could've just snapped then & there and I probably would've gotten hurt.

Also it's funny cause a week or two ago I noticed my sprocket looked bent which didn't seem unusual since I was learning sprocket chunks/stalls, but thinking about it now I guess it was the spindle starting to give away cause the sprocket looks fine.

edit: I'm not at all shaming them or anything like that, I love Odyssey and most of my bike is Odyssey and will continue to be. I just thought it was an odd place to break. Also don't make this another warranty debate bullshit ass thread, Odyssey could discontinue the warranty and I'd still buy their shit, especially their crank because of the wedge interface.

Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

|

5/31/2020 8:04 PM

Glad you escaped that one without injury. I’ve never snapped a pair of cranks. Where do they usually fail?

|

Don’t put 25.4 bars in a 22.2 stem.

6/1/2020 3:50 AM

best cranks available.

I snapped a set of fly cranks going OFF the lip of a jump. didn't turn out so well. they were also years old.... never a good time.

|

6/1/2020 4:27 AM

pnj wrote:

best cranks available.

I snapped a set of fly cranks going OFF the lip of a jump. didn't turn out so well. they were also years old.... never a good time.

The wedge system just makes life so much easier.

|

Don’t put 25.4 bars in a 22.2 stem.

6/1/2020 11:40 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/1/2020 11:42 AM

Spongeworthy wrote:

Glad you escaped that one without injury. I’ve never snapped a pair of cranks. Where do they usually fail?

Usually at the welds that connect the arm to the cone shaped peice that connects to the spindle and the welds near where the pedals thread in.

To OP:

7 years is a great amount of time to get out of some crabks imo, especially if you are hard on your gear. That is a super weird place to break... Glad you didnt get hurt! smile

This is one of my biggest fears since I have a lot of knee and ankle injuries. Its the reason I replace my cranks and other parts before the actual life expectancy shows its potentially ugly face.

As you stated, you will be well taken care of by Odyssey and this is why its smart to have some backup parts on hand as you did!

|

6/1/2020 12:04 PM

pnj wrote:

best cranks available.

the original fly cranks? im pretty sure every set in the world is broken.. even if they were never ridden.

|

6/1/2020 12:06 PM

ive only snapped one set of cranks.. it as a fuf to ice on a jersey barrier out of a bank. snapped the pedal off.

ive had great luck. but i just bent a Profile magnatanium the other day but havent snapped one in a cool minute

|

6/1/2020 1:02 PM

Mulletsnax wrote:

the original fly cranks? im pretty sure every set in the world is broken.. even if they were never ridden.

ha. no these were like version 2 or something. I had them a long time. beat the shit out of them..

then they broke. was not surprised they broke but was not stoked that they broke while going OFF a jump. not when i landed but when I pumped up the lip...

|

6/1/2020 1:47 PM

pnj wrote:

best cranks available.

Mulletsnax wrote:

I think I remember watching Jamie bestwick and Steve McCann snap fly cranks dropping into vert ramps at dew tour back in the day

|

6/1/2020 3:39 PM

Wow, glad you got away safe. I've only cracked/bent cranks. It was a 9 y.o. set of Madera cranks. Cracked at the weld on the crank arm near the spindle. Then the crack began gaping open, and I felt something off. Looked down, and sure enough I could fit two or three pennies stacked in the crack. I was glad it didn't bust all the way off and kill me.

|

6/1/2020 6:10 PM

Mulletsnax wrote:

I can't speak for the Dolmens, but I know the OG Fly v1 thru v3 cranks you could practically sneeze while riding and they'd snap haha

|

6/1/2020 6:19 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

Usually at the welds that connect the arm to the cone shaped peice that connects to the spindle and the welds near where the pedals thread in.

To OP:

7 years is a great amount of time to get out of some crabks imo, especially if you are hard on your gear. That is a super weird place to break... Glad you didnt get hurt! smile

This is one of my biggest fears since I have a lot of knee and ankle injuries. Its the reason I replace my cranks and other parts before the actual life expectancy shows its potentially ugly face.

As you stated, you will be well taken care of by Odyssey and this is why its smart to have some backup parts on hand as you did!

yeah I'm not even like upset or anything they broke cause I got so many years out of them, just bummed cause I really wanted to continue riding haha.

Little update:

so I emailed Odyssey, they asked for a photo of the receipt (along with the serial number on the spindle & warranty card) so I went out to the shop I help out at/bought the cranks at to get a receipt. When I got there, I realized we actually have the same exact cranks in the same size and everything (slipped my mind cause we've been renovating and I hadn't paid much attention to that cabinet in awhile) so I just threw those on my bike. Once I get mine warrantied, I'll just put those (the ones from warranty) back in the shop to replace the ones I took, no harm no foul. If for some reason they don't warranty them I'm gonna pay for them obviously, but stoked the shop owner let me do that so now I don't have to go awhile without a decent set of cranks in case shipping takes awhile since things are hectic lately.

Also my sprocket was definitely bent looking cause the spindle was starting to pull apart. It's perfectly straight on these new cranks, definitely should've looked it over better instead of chalking it up to it probably being bent due to learning sprocket chunks/stalls haha.

|

6/1/2020 7:27 PM

I wasn’t the biggest fan of my thunderbolts. I bent them after like two years of riding and that was when i was 16. I’ve been riding a set of animal cranks since then and done way bigger tricks and roofs with them and they are still going strong, just a tiny crack from doing so many pedal grinds.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

6/2/2020 9:02 AM

Spongeworthy wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

To OP:

sundaybmxRR wrote:

yeah I'm not even like upset or anything they broke cause I got so many years out of them, just bummed cause I really wanted to continue riding haha.

Little update:

so I emailed Odyssey, they asked for a photo of the receipt (along with the serial number on the spindle & warranty card) so I went out to the shop I help out at/bought the cranks at to get a receipt. When I got there, I realized we actually have the same exact cranks in the same size and everything (slipped my mind cause we've been renovating and I hadn't paid much attention to that cabinet in awhile) so I just threw those on my bike. Once I get mine warrantied, I'll just put those (the ones from warranty) back in the shop to replace the ones I took, no harm no foul. If for some reason they don't warranty them I'm gonna pay for them obviously, but stoked the shop owner let me do that so now I don't have to go awhile without a decent set of cranks in case shipping takes awhile since things are hectic lately.

Also my sprocket was definitely bent looking cause the spindle was starting to pull apart. It's perfectly straight on these new cranks, definitely should've looked it over better instead of chalking it up to it probably being bent due to learning sprocket chunks/stalls haha.

But hey, they went out in a blaze of glory doing what they love...taking abuse! wink

Sprocket stalls are very satisfying, definitely hard on the cranks/pedals/bb/downtube/sprocket/chain though! Lol

|

6/5/2020 6:58 PM

Damn, that’s wild! I’ve been running a set for about four years and they’re the first cranks than haven’t broken after about 2 years. Hoping I get a little while longer, but I’ll definitely be more cautious in the future

|

6/5/2020 7:30 PM

installation error

|

wallride a bus everyday

6/5/2020 9:21 PM

buttmeate wrote:

installation error

False, they were old and actually ridden. The wedge was installed correctly, slants facing the right way, and you can’t exactly fuck up installation of these. You want the order of assembly too? You’re more than welcome to find a fault. From right to left- drive side arm > Odyssey sprocket, no adapter needed > thin crank washer to keep the sprocket from rubbing the BB shell, no cone spacer > BB bearing, internal spacer, BB bearing > cone spacer > wedge cluster > non-drive arm > bolt

|

6/5/2020 11:40 PM

I think he was joking about installation error.

I know I laughed..

|

6/6/2020 10:32 AM

This post sent me into a deep depression.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital