Snapped my rear axle bolt...

Related:
Create New Tag

12/3/2017 7:37 PM

Doing a feeble, didnt land super hard on the ledge.

The axle was a 14mm internal threaded axle and only a 3/8" bolt.

Pegs and everything went everywhere I heard this super loud "CHING" looked down and it was GONE! lol

Anyway, i stuck an allen in and unthreaded the little chunk that was stuck in the axle. Took the peg off and used the rest of the bolt, tightened it up and kept riding. Pretty cool actually...Photo

|

12/4/2017 3:45 AM

I would get a 14mm rear axle

|

Hmmm

12/4/2017 4:10 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/4/2017 4:12 AM

Not bashing you for having them but the "got to have the lightet bike in the world" fad went too far. I see more shit break today then ever before. Sounds like you didnt get hurt which is the important part.

|

12/4/2017 6:08 AM

Edman123 wrote:

I would get a 14mm rear axle

I actually have an antigram. I was waiting for Odyssey to send me a new driver so I put my backup wheel on. I never switched it back out after I got the replacement driver.

To be fair I have been pretty hard on the little 3/8 bolt while learning how to grind.

Its all good now, I didnt get hurt, I even rolled away, kinda...lol

|

12/4/2017 6:59 AM

Stixxs wrote:

Not bashing you for having them but the "got to have the lightet bike in the world" fad went too far. I see more shit break ...more

That phase is long gone. Parts aren't made to be ridiculously light now. And with design and engineering processes changing, they're just as strong as they were in the mid days (with the exception of the ludicrously over built parts). People bent and snapped 14mm axles back then, and certainly bent and snapped 10mm before 14mm were common.

Social media didn't exist though, and riding wasn't as popular, so there weren't hundreds of pics uploaded everywhere.

|

12/4/2017 7:06 AM

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

12/4/2017 7:13 AM

|

12/4/2017 9:35 AM

Stixxs wrote:

Not bashing you for having them but the "got to have the lightet bike in the world" fad went too far. I see more shit break ...more

T H A N

Sorry, I couldn't help it.

|

12/4/2017 11:03 AM

Stixxs wrote:

Not really a weight thing. Having 3/8" chromoly bolts in the 14mm axle weighs about the same as just a full length 14mm hollow axle. The female bolts just make it look cleaner & doesn't hurt as bad as a male axle if you take one to the shin. Doesn't sacrifice any strength either, aslong as you don't run pegs.

All the force from the frame gets distributed to the 14mm axle bit in the drop out, the female bolt is just there to hold the wheel to the frame. They only break when you try to do rear peg grinds on a 3/8" bolt.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

12/4/2017 11:08 AM

Stixxs wrote:

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Not really a weight thing. Having 3/8" chromoly bolts in the 14mm axle weighs about the same as just a full length 14mm hollow ...more

Lol I found that out...

Either way, I have switched to my antigram with a 17mm female axle and 14mm bolts. smile

I am going to use the Birectional as a backup for my dirt jumper.

|

12/6/2017 8:28 PM

Stixxs wrote:

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Not really a weight thing. Having 3/8" chromoly bolts in the 14mm axle weighs about the same as just a full length 14mm hollow ...more

Bulletpup wrote:

Lol I found that out...

Either way, I have switched to my antigram with a 17mm female axle and 14mm bolts. smile

I am going to ...more

That sounds rad! I remember snapling my first axle... as a 13 year old kid, it scared the shit out of me! I thought I had snapped my dropouts clean off when I hear that metallic "clang". Fun times. Glad you didn't get hurt though.

|

12/6/2017 9:26 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/6/2017 9:27 PM

I don't know if anyone else noticed or mentioned this but your axle bolts are hollow, most likely why it did snap, solid axles are definitely a better option. Hope it works out for you. GL

|

12/6/2017 10:54 PM

Cellmember wrote:

I don't know if anyone else noticed or mentioned this but your axle bolts are hollow, most likely why it did snap, solid axles ...more

Good observation! Thats exactly what eastern told me too. They are sending me some free replacement solid bolts.

|

12/6/2017 10:57 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

Lol I found that out...

I am going to ...more

MUDDYCCTV wrote:

That sounds rad! I remember snapling my first axle... as a 13 year old kid, it scared the shit out of me! I thought I had ...more

Ya man, ive only been hitting like foot and a half to 2 feet ledges so I wasnt too far up. Im really thankfull I didnt damage my right foot more...

|