So, BlackSwampGhost, you doing any flatlandish type tricks yet?

Related:
Create New Tag

4/2/2020 9:06 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/2/2020 9:08 AM

I'm starting to really get the itch. I think I'm realizing I'm old and I don't really plan to be jumping high and I'm not really gonna be riding around finding spots in the city to be jumping on handrails and such. I even kind of have enough room on my driveway cuz it sort of opens up by the garage, although I do like parking lots a bit better. Only thing is most parking lots have some kind of slope to them for run off. I might try the basketball courts by me next. I've been kind of avoiding it cuz people have been playing there when I go. So yesterday I ended up in the Kmart parking lot cuz they're out of business. Just me and the seagulls.

The one skate park by me has a nice big open spot for room to do stuff.

I'm gonna start learning more about flatlanding. I watched this little Russian gal last night I found on Instagram. And she was doing some flatland stuff and she didn't have brakes. Which I thought was cool. @_diana1907_. And then I think I saw another kid without brakes.

I guess the one thing is I might need a freecoaster… Well, if I get to the point that I'm rolling backwards in a trick. LOL.

I'm so close to landing a foot jam tail whip. Haven't done it yet but I'm getting there.

Anyways..... Just thought I'd ask to get some ideas for tricks. See which ones you might be working on....

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun

4/2/2020 10:05 AM

you can learn a LOT of tricks without a coaster.

Go watch some 80's flatland videos. There is a LOT of goofy stuff but some of it will help with modern flatland.

Here is a list of basic tricks that might be easy / fun / not kill you.

foot jam end (try hopping endo's too.)
tailwhip (why not learn it both directions? clockwise and counter clockwise)
fire hydrant
backwards infinity rolls
backwards wheelies on the pegs
front yard
back yard
boomerang
barspins (pull up bars)
squeekers

|

4/2/2020 10:32 AM

Thank you!!!! I will look those up! I kind of figured there would be some I could do with a cassette.

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun

4/2/2020 10:54 AM

BMX Plus 101 tricks video is on you tube.

get ready to laugh at the clothes but there are a ton of great tricks to learn.

|

4/2/2020 11:31 AM

With lockdown, I’ve been looking online for cheap pegs I can wrap in griptape, lol. The most I could ever do was infinity roll and I think fork roll, like a half footjam decade to the front peg and land fakie, whatever it’s called.

But like pnj said, there is definitely a ton of flatland stuff possible on a cassette, the coaster just makes it easier for fakie things, especially when your feet move from pedal to peg, and vice-versa.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

4/2/2020 4:41 PM

Unfortunately the weather has been rough whenever I have any free time. But that's going to improve as of today..

I don't have any real plans, just getting back into it really.. More fakie and manual practice.. Last time I was trying foot jam and hopping on the front tire (that was way easier with front brakes).. This thread is great though, lots of ideas and info already.. Fakie sliders are another thing I'm working on.. Really would be cool to fakie to the store and back lol.. I would like to figure out 180 into fakie too..

It's going to be really nice out this weekend for sure..

|

4/2/2020 6:19 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/2/2020 6:19 PM

Fortyseven wrote:

I'm starting to really get the itch. I think I'm realizing I'm old and I don't really plan to be jumping high and I'm not really gonna be riding around finding spots in the city to be jumping on handrails and such. I even kind of have enough room on my driveway cuz it sort of opens up by the garage, although I do like parking lots a bit better. Only thing is most parking lots have some kind of slope to them for run off. I might try the basketball courts by me next. I've been kind of avoiding it cuz people have been playing there when I go. So yesterday I ended up in the Kmart parking lot cuz they're out of business. Just me and the seagulls.

The one skate park by me has a nice big open spot for room to do stuff.

I'm gonna start learning more about flatlanding. I watched this little Russian gal last night I found on Instagram. And she was doing some flatland stuff and she didn't have brakes. Which I thought was cool. @_diana1907_. And then I think I saw another kid without brakes.

I guess the one thing is I might need a freecoaster… Well, if I get to the point that I'm rolling backwards in a trick. LOL.

I'm so close to landing a foot jam tail whip. Haven't done it yet but I'm getting there.

Anyways..... Just thought I'd ask to get some ideas for tricks. See which ones you might be working on....

Wait a minute... Didn't you just say not too long ago that you didn't think flatland was your style?!

|

4/3/2020 9:19 AM

Not completely. What I said was that I'm not super into all the spinning. Meaning like when they look like they're a figure skater. Mainly cuz I'm not sure my head would handle that. LOL. Dizzy dizzy. Plus it's not really something I desire to do, but it's cool and I'm sure takes a lot of skill. And yeah, not even sure I COULD get to that point. That being said, as BSG always says and I agree, I have the right to change my mind down the road to whatever I say now. LOL.

But I like some of the other tricks I see that don't have constant spinning. You feel me?

Readybmxer brings up a good point. Are flatland pegs typically designed with some kind of knurling or checkering for grip? I think I've seen some like that when shopping. I can't remember if BSG's are like that. But it would make sense if the main reason for pegs is to step on them. As opposed to street being grinding. Although if you grinded some on some street pegs they would have some texture. LOL.

|

4/3/2020 12:45 PM

Fortyseven wrote:

Not completely. What I said was that I'm not super into all the spinning. Meaning like when they look like they're a figure skater. Mainly cuz I'm not sure my head would handle that. LOL. Dizzy dizzy. Plus it's not really something I desire to do, but it's cool and I'm sure takes a lot of skill. And yeah, not even sure I COULD get to that point. That being said, as BSG always says and I agree, I have the right to change my mind down the road to whatever I say now. LOL.

But I like some of the other tricks I see that don't have constant spinning. You feel me?

Readybmxer brings up a good point. Are flatland pegs typically designed with some kind of knurling or checkering for grip? I think I've seen some like that when shopping. I can't remember if BSG's are like that. But it would make sense if the main reason for pegs is to step on them. As opposed to street being grinding. Although if you grinded some on some street pegs they would have some texture. LOL.

I just picked up some Colony Exon v2 pegs from flatlandfuel that are knurled and I believe are specifically geared towards flatland. Haven't had a chance to install them yet but I'd on the to do list for this weekend.

|

4/3/2020 12:52 PM

Yeah, all the earliest pegs had knurling, ribs, hexagon shaped, or other form of traction.. I don't think it that important really..

|

4/3/2020 2:32 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/3/2020 2:34 PM

ANY peg will work. If you find that your peg is too slick for your shoes, put some grip tape on it. No need to buy specific "flatland" pegs if you're just starting out..

Did anyone check out the video I mentioned above?

all of the 'rolling' tricks are perfect for learning basic balance, rolling stuff.

Notice how their cranks spin backwards on the backwards rolling tricks. VERY few people rode coaster brakes (free coasters didn't really exist yet). Also notice HOW TINY their pegs are. lol. My feet hurt just thinking about it.

jump to 10:45 in the video for rolling tricks..

&t=421s

|

4/3/2020 4:22 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/4/2020 1:43 PM

pnj wrote:

ANY peg will work. If you find that your peg is too slick for your shoes, put some grip tape on it. No need to buy specific "flatland" pegs if you're just starting out..

Did anyone check out the video I mentioned above?

all of the 'rolling' tricks are perfect for learning basic balance, rolling stuff.

Notice how their cranks spin backwards on the backwards rolling tricks. VERY few people rode coaster brakes (free coasters didn't really exist yet). Also notice HOW TINY their pegs are. lol. My feet hurt just thinking about it.

jump to 10:45 in the video for rolling tricks..

&t=421s

Ditto to all the guys about no need for knurling, etc...; If you need it, add a little grip tape. Back in the day, while pegs were knurled, they were also about 2.5-3” as opposed to the larger pegs they have now. I honestly don't think you'll need anything but it's cheap to add the tape if need be. Also, as said before, there's a lot of great tricks in the old school realm that help you in any aspect of riding, be it street, trails, park, etc... You'd be surprised how much easier it is to ride street, for instance, when you have your bike familiarity and balance dialed in.

|

4/4/2020 9:25 AM

Yeah, couple of things. I think maybe I might be kind of using the wrong terminology. Cuz I was watching some Flatland videos and one of them was called a FISE finals. And the guys that were in the finals, it seemed like 90% of their routine was spinning.... So it feels like technically flatland is mostly the spinning stuff. But you see people do these like rolling tricks that take a lot of balance. And there's usually some spinning involved but doesn't always have to go into a spin spin spin type thing.

So maybe the technical term I'm looking for is more old school tricks. I don't know. It's kind of like flatlandish tricks.... but maybe just more rolling balance tricks. Whatever you would call that.

As far as pegs go, I did see that some people just use grip tape. I think my main concern is to just keep the weight down as much as possible. What type did you say you had BSG? They were like 3.3 ounces and that's as light as I've seen.

I keep thinking about adding the 2 pegs I have but not sure I wanna add that much weight. 6+ ounces seems like I'll feel it. I know you get used to it, but just last night I hit a milestone trick and I feel like adding a lot of weight in pegs will mess me up with this one. I threw my bars 360. Wooooooohooooooooooo!!!!!!! I was at my park doing stuff in the parking lot and remembered I wanted to try throwing bars 360 on the gravel path. So I did it. I didn't do a full hop I just pulled up on the front and threw the bars 360. I landed it (8) time and only fell twice. LOL. I think I'll move up to the concrete on my driveway today. I was pretty freaking excited.

Anyways.... I plan to add pegs. I plan to get smaller tires. I wanna at least try it. But not sure how small. I may only go down to 2.2. And I might not go full 4 pegs right away.... I know for sure my left foot will hit a rear one at times.

I was watching some video of some kids in 1988 doing tricks and it was pretty cool. What was wild is that they had little pegs on top of the forks too. LOL.

|

4/4/2020 9:55 AM

those guys you see spinning fast circles have been riding for a LONG time. like. YEARS. They did not start out with those tricks.

Just put some rear pegs on and go learn a backwards wheelie. just that is going to take some time.

learn 'dork wheelies' and backwards wheelies.

video it for us. smile

|

4/4/2020 10:21 AM

Remember also, no matter what tires and pegs you add, the weight is a non issue, compared to the bikes you see in those 1980s where the guy are straight up murdering it.. All those bikes were closer to 40 lbs, and no matter what you do to yours, it will be sub 30lbs.. Man up..

My pegs are about to get lighter when I take the sleeves off and polish em like chrome..👍

|

4/4/2020 10:37 AM

Fortyseven wrote:

Yeah, couple of things. I think maybe I might be kind of using the wrong terminology. Cuz I was watching some Flatland videos and one of them was called a FISE finals. And the guys that were in the finals, it seemed like 90% of their routine was spinning.... So it feels like technically flatland is mostly the spinning stuff. But you see people do these like rolling tricks that take a lot of balance. And there's usually some spinning involved but doesn't always have to go into a spin spin spin type thing.

So maybe the technical term I'm looking for is more old school tricks. I don't know. It's kind of like flatlandish tricks.... but maybe just more rolling balance tricks. Whatever you would call that.

As far as pegs go, I did see that some people just use grip tape. I think my main concern is to just keep the weight down as much as possible. What type did you say you had BSG? They were like 3.3 ounces and that's as light as I've seen.

I keep thinking about adding the 2 pegs I have but not sure I wanna add that much weight. 6+ ounces seems like I'll feel it. I know you get used to it, but just last night I hit a milestone trick and I feel like adding a lot of weight in pegs will mess me up with this one. I threw my bars 360. Wooooooohooooooooooo!!!!!!! I was at my park doing stuff in the parking lot and remembered I wanted to try throwing bars 360 on the gravel path. So I did it. I didn't do a full hop I just pulled up on the front and threw the bars 360. I landed it (8) time and only fell twice. LOL. I think I'll move up to the concrete on my driveway today. I was pretty freaking excited.

Anyways.... I plan to add pegs. I plan to get smaller tires. I wanna at least try it. But not sure how small. I may only go down to 2.2. And I might not go full 4 pegs right away.... I know for sure my left foot will hit a rear one at times.

I was watching some video of some kids in 1988 doing tricks and it was pretty cool. What was wild is that they had little pegs on top of the forks too. LOL.

Regarding the spinning, you might say there are 2 kinds of flatland: competition stuff and fun stuff.

In competition, adding a turbine to a trick increases the difficulty / point value, so you see a lot of that spinning. (Turbine being rolling into a tight carve, until your momentum crosses your axis of rotation and the bike pivots to face the other way. Keep rolling and turning, and you keep turbining.) While it gets points at competition and is technically impressive, it's not so fun to watch when you can't really see what the rider is doing. More casual riding tends to be more directional, even if you still turn in wide circles to stay in the same area. It's a lot more fun to watch and do, IMO.

For example, I like Matthias Dandois' casual clips better than his competition riding. Tends to be more directional with more variety. But you don't have to do all rolling-spinning-balance tricks. Look up Nick Watts, Chad Degroot, or some of the other old school riders that are still active. All about being creative on a bike. Check out Master of Creativity / Martti Kuoppa. FISE has been great for flatland, but it's not the only style of riding.

Regarding pegs, I have a heavy set of 4 chromo pegs at 19 oz per pair for park/street, even though I rarely grind, and a set of cheaper all-plastic pegs for flat. I was suspicious of the all plastics, but they've held up well and are like 3 oz / pair. (Black Ops off of Amazon.) Aluminum pegs for flat tend to be 6 to 9 oz per pair. I prefer smooth pegs with grip tape over anything knurled. It just gives a more consistent contact. If I had money I might spring for the IGI pegs with special grit coatings, but grip tape works.

I never really thought about peg weight until I took my bike on vacation. On the trip back, the bag with the pegs in it was 2 lbs too heavy, and we had to repack. Threw the pegs in my carry on and hauled them through 3 airports...

|

Remember when you could ride all day and not be sore for a week?

4/4/2020 10:58 AM

BSG. I'm old. Cut me some slack. I'm gonna feel it more than some young whippersnapper. Plus yours are the lightest ones I've seen so you must like not having the extra weight too. LOL. I know when I went from a crappy 30 lb bike to my 25.5 pound Eastern (thank you again Mishinn) it made a big difference. At least it felt like it did. So my goal is to keep it as light as possible. Which is probably going to include lighter and smaller tires. Let us see a pic of those pegs when you are done... What kind were they again? I forgot.. Eclat?

MJbmx, thanks for the explanation. That makes sense. I'm with you, I find it more interesting to watch the rolling / balance tricks and not so much the spinning. I'll look up them guys you are talking about.

|

4/4/2020 11:05 AM

Whoa, 6.17 ounces per pair. Now that's about the lightest I've seen..... So far.

http://flatlandfuel.com/armourbikesbigbohmpegs.aspx

|

4/4/2020 11:16 AM

Lol, I'm old too, I just don't let me know about that..

My pegs are Cinema C4, they are the ones that came with the bike, same with the 2.5 tires.

Yeah, I'll have to get a picture of one before and after polishing..

I've been working with metal finishing since I was 10 years old.. You name it, I've polished or blasted or both.. Guitar slides example and Titanium ring made from an actual nut.. The other native ring is one I found under water looking for treasure.. I've found lots of things under water..

Photo

Photo

|

4/4/2020 12:56 PM

Finished one up! A sleeve and two of the cores..

Before...

Photo

After...

Photo

|

4/4/2020 1:06 PM

I can always put the sleeves back on if I want to grind..

|

4/4/2020 2:36 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/4/2020 2:38 PM

Photo

12.4 oz for all 4.. Weighed same on two different scales..

Always have two scales and two compass hard to argue with two that read the same..
|

4/4/2020 2:57 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/4/2020 7:03 PM

Fortyseven wrote:

Try to do that soon (add pegs) & I'll (try) to show you some old-school tricks you will probably dig. Nothing too "spinny", just done cool, good tricks that you'll like.

|

4/4/2020 4:47 PM

Forward and backward hang 5s will occupy you for a while and can be used in street, park and flatland.

|

I like riding my bike.

4/5/2020 3:36 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/5/2020 3:37 PM

Fortyseven wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Try to do that soon (add pegs) & I'll (try) to show you some old-school tricks you will probably dig. Nothing too "spinny", just done cool, good tricks that you'll like.

I saw actually wheel and sprocket carries some odyssey pegs and they're not overly heavy. Aluminum with plastic sleeve. For like 19 bucks for a pair. That seems cheap in comparison to other stuff. Although there seems to be a swing in prices. It seems like a lot of stuff Haro sells is usually more. I saw some pegs by them and they wanted like 20 bucks for just one. But it looked like a cool peg. They had colors. LOL.

I'm tryin to decide... tires, pegs, both? I might be able to do both. I have some money squirreled away in my paypal account. LOL.

I would go for the Eastern Throttle tires if they had a different lettering color than yellow. But it might look OK on my bike. I like the Maroon Momentums. But part of me wants to try even smaller than 2.2. But I might be disappointed. LOL. My teeth might fall out.

I might put the stock pegs on very soon, just to see. But my arm was sore from throwing bars and pegs might take a bit more effort yet. I wanna spin them faster, not slower. LOL.

And yeah, if we get together this week you can show me some tricks. Do you still have the pegs you were gonna use on my bike for flatland???

|

4/5/2020 3:39 PM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Finished one up! A sleeve and two of the cores..

Before...

Photo

After...

Photo

I see you!!!!! (reflection) smile

|

4/5/2020 4:20 PM

Fortyseven wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Fortyseven wrote:

I saw actually wheel and sprocket carries some odyssey pegs and they're not overly heavy. Aluminum with plastic sleeve. For like 19 bucks for a pair. That seems cheap in comparison to other stuff. Although there seems to be a swing in prices. It seems like a lot of stuff Haro sells is usually more. I saw some pegs by them and they wanted like 20 bucks for just one. But it looked like a cool peg. They had colors. LOL.

I'm tryin to decide... tires, pegs, both? I might be able to do both. I have some money squirreled away in my paypal account. LOL.

I would go for the Eastern Throttle tires if they had a different lettering color than yellow. But it might look OK on my bike. I like the Maroon Momentums. But part of me wants to try even smaller than 2.2. But I might be disappointed. LOL. My teeth might fall out.

I might put the stock pegs on very soon, just to see. But my arm was sore from throwing bars and pegs might take a bit more effort yet. I wanna spin them faster, not slower. LOL.

And yeah, if we get together this week you can show me some tricks. Do you still have the pegs you were gonna use on my bike for flatland???

No. I have other pegs. Not 4 pegs but I have two. You don't necessarily need 4 pegs for flatland. At least not in the beginning. Two pegs would allow you to get started with the basics of flatland. If you are thinking you don't want to spend money on the pegs AND tires, just use the pegs you have now and get tires. Personally, I don't think you need either to move forward in flatland. Just install the pegs your have and give it a try. Speaking of flatland, BTW, flatland, even a lot of the older stuff, uses front and rear brakes. Just an FYI. I do have that matching set of brakes if you decide you want front brakes.I have a fork as well (for the 990 brake. I'll cut you a deal).

|

4/5/2020 5:49 PM

seriously. just throw those pegs you have on the rear and go outside and stand on them.

do some wheelies. do some wheelies in circles.

do a foot jam endo with one foot on the peg and then try to roll your foot jam foot over your rear tire for backwards momentum. roll backwards on your peg.

do rocket manual bar spins.

etc.

|

4/5/2020 6:17 PM

I don't have brakes so..

Today I was trying (and succeeding in) stopping with my foot on the back tire, then scuffing the other way fakie, only about 6ft doing that. I often get greedy on my fakies and keep them longer than I should. Also tried (no success lol) backward infinity, that's harder than I thought..

I also like to practice stopping fast and skids type of stuff..

|

4/5/2020 6:22 PM

I was trying rocket manuals too, not any good yet.. But they are fun because easy save if you loop out..

|