So, BlackSwampGhost, you doing any flatlandish type tricks yet?

Related:
Create New Tag

7/20/2020 9:34 AM

Thanks BSG... drawing is very relaxing. But then so is riding. In a different way but to me it is. I mean your getting the blood flowing but it's relaxing overall.

I was working on fork glides last night but I'm definitely now getting more anal about where I ride . On Sundays I watch a couple of Public television shows and I didn't get to workin on tricks til 10:30 My park techinically closes at 10pm and the parking lot there is so much better than my driveway and road in front of me for flatland stuff. So I was trying to work on fork glides on my road and there's all kinds of alligator cracking and uneven surfaces and then you have the gradual grading for water run off to the shoulders but when youre wanting a flat ground it feels like a 30 degree angle. LOL.

Anyways... I've been hesitant to go to the park after 10pm past official hours and last night confirmed that concern for me. I looked over there and there was a cop there with his lights on and it was about 10:45. My guess is if I'm there after hours they will boot me. I was there at like 10:05 pm on Saturday night when I quit. LOL.

So I don't need ramps but an open flat ground sure makes flatland stuff better.

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun

7/21/2020 8:21 AM

Update. Last night I worked on tailwhips again and I made progress. I nearly landed one again but I had to put my foot down. The challenge will be riding out once I get it cuz I'm usually rolling backwards a little. I had my feet squarely on the pedals and felt good and pretty much had it. But then had to put my right foot down.

The upside was that I actually did better later in the session. Usually my best ones are the first few and then I just go downhill. This time my best ones were like the 15 and 16th time I tried. A lot of it is doing it at the right speed. Too slow and it doesn't swing as well. And too fast and I end up hitting the rear tire down at 180 degrees.

Also, the other day I pretty much nailed rotating 180 on the front tire. I keep forgetting what the name of that is. But you're moving forward and you swing your body and frame around while pivoting on the front tire. I finally got one pretty much 180. I think it was like about 175. LOL. AND AND that day I was working on mega spins and got about 120 degrees. That felt really good. Shooting for 180 for that. 360 seems wild. Not sure how you're doing 540 Chilli. That is wild!!!!!

Fork glides are progressing slowly. I can stay up kind of good sometimes going backwards. And get some entries that feel good with like 1 scuff. But nothing complete and getting back on the bike yet.

I love this flatland stuff. My ankles are pretty sore lately though. LOL. Moreso than I remember in the past.

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun

7/21/2020 10:11 PM

Perseverance pays, 47, just remember that..

3 things that have conqured everything for me..

Perseverance, tenacity, and ambition... Put all 3 together and it's tough to stop it from eventually happening..👍

|





7/22/2020 7:49 AM

Yeah I get it. I still feel like moving at a snails pace though at times. If I was young and could practice an hour a day I'd be much further.


I might have to use your little triune of wisdom today. I'm teaching a friend at church, two of his grand daughters are interested in possibly learning guitar. So I'm gonna stuff my three guitars in my car and go see if I can't get them excited about guitars. I keep thinking about what types of songs a 10 and 14 year old girl would like and it dawned on me I need to quick learn a taylor swift song today. LOL. I like this one Dua Lipa song called Don't start now and know the chord progression. But I'm not sure what type of music they like.

My thing is to try and get someone playing a part of a song or something simple early so they get hooked. If you know a taylor swift song in Eminor, let me know. To me that's the first easiest chord to teach someone. LOL.

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun

7/29/2020 9:29 AM

I've learned how to go farther with flat ground bar spins. Whatever you call them. I can now to 540 degrees regularly without falling. LOL. I was watching this little girl on instagram called @aubreetime and she can spin 720. She just got her brakes off and she was doing them already. She also can fakie super good. I have no clue how shes so good while being so young. I know she's not the only young one that has serious skillz too.

Anyways....

What's weird is I put a front peg on my opposite side a few weeks back and I don't really use it at this point and I'm thinking about taking it off. I wracked my shin real good on it and I don't even know why it's there. I know eventually I will need pegs on both sides if I keep learning flatland stuff but part of me just wants to do stuff with the pegs on the one side. LOL. I'm kind of like ReadyBMXer in I don't even really like pegs. I'd almost rather only do stuff without them but I'm really digging the tricks I'm working on that require ones at least on the one side. LOL.

I will probably get some shin guards but really the left side peg on the front is just in the way right now. LOL.

Doing the barspins 540 has been really fun. I gotta hit 720 now. These are just ones I do when I'm super slow not even lifting up. I only do pull up 180 bars consistently. I have done 360 but haven't attempted that in a while. I fell a lot doing those. LOL.

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun

7/30/2020 7:37 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/30/2020 7:43 PM

Nice job 47! Starting to get out of these forward steamrollers a little more frequently, although nowhere near consistent with them yet, and still can't throw the rear back around to exit yet.


pnj - Any tips on throwing the rear of the bike back around to exit properly? Or how the weight distribution should be? I feel like I need to have more weight forward as the rear swings back around in order to offset the weight of the frame moving back.
|

7/30/2020 7:46 PM

Anybody else unable to see YouTube vids on the posts on mobile? I can see them on my laptop but not on my phone...Weird!

|

7/30/2020 7:59 PM

Yeah been like that for a couple/few weeks now..

If you wanna see on your phone, go to the bottom of this page and select desktop, then your phone will look like a laptop..

I posed the question in the Vital questions part of this site but it appears they couldn't give a shit..

|





7/30/2020 8:07 PM

one thing i would do is get used to rolling more in the steamroller position. learn to lean and move your frame around so you can kind of steer....

and to get the frame back under you...

I kind of lean the bike to the right. so i'm starting to circle clockwise...
then use my right hand that is on the seat to simply pull the frame back towards my body.
when the frame / seat gets close to the right grip, I grab it with my hand and let the frame swing back on its own.

the other thing you can do is try to NOT grab the seat and pull the frame around right into a forward karl cruiser or whatever it's called. Just holding the frame next to you, foot on front peg, rear wheel off the ground.

doing that will get you used to swinging the frame back from the steam roller...

or.. just do steam roller right into a funky chicken. smile

|

7/31/2020 9:20 AM

Super great chilli!!! I'm like wowz!!!

I wish I could post my vids on here. I got one of me last week going about 120 degrees with a megaspin. But two nights ago I went 180!!!! Woooohoooooo!!! Or almost 180. It was like 175. It felt good though. I think it helped to look like when trying to hop spin. I'm still trying to figure out the elements of how much to lean, how much to not lean, how fast to be going etc. This stuff is complex. LOL

I'm getting good at spinning my bars 540 just flat on the ground. LOL.

I have to admit something else though I took off my 2nd front peg. I don't know how I'm gonna be a flatlander that doesn't like pegs but I really don't. I'm gonna just focus on what tricks I can do with my 2 right side pegs. I do everything opposite of most people so.......

I was trying to put my head together on how you get back on the bike after being in the fork glide position and I was stumped. I know you have to switch feet but beyond that I get like, what the...... I gotta go back and watch your vids again chilli.

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun

7/31/2020 10:44 AM

47 how far can you peg wheelie? Do a peg wheelie and just keep going in a tighter and tighter circle... Eventually it will get so tight that the bike will end up going backwards...

just go out and film yourself doing the longest, kind of curved / carved peg wheelie. please. smile

|

7/31/2020 8:27 PM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Yeah been like that for a couple/few weeks now..

If you wanna see on your phone, go to the bottom of this page and select desktop, then your phone will look like a laptop..

I posed the question in the Vital questions part of this site but it appears they couldn't give a shit..

Weird, just noticed it yesterday...kinda annoying.

|

7/31/2020 8:37 PM

pnj wrote:

one thing i would do is get used to rolling more in the steamroller position. learn to lean and move your frame around so you can kind of steer....

and to get the frame back under you...

I kind of lean the bike to the right. so i'm starting to circle clockwise...
then use my right hand that is on the seat to simply pull the frame back towards my body.
when the frame / seat gets close to the right grip, I grab it with my hand and let the frame swing back on its own.

the other thing you can do is try to NOT grab the seat and pull the frame around right into a forward karl cruiser or whatever it's called. Just holding the frame next to you, foot on front peg, rear wheel off the ground.

doing that will get you used to swinging the frame back from the steam roller...

or.. just do steam roller right into a funky chicken. smile

Thanks pnj, always appreciate the tips. And I totally agree about getting more stable rolling around in the position. I can tell I don't quite have the balance point solid enough yet to just steer around like I do when doing it backwards, which makes me tend to rush the exit. I've almost eaten it pretty good a couple of times going over the front, but luckily have avoided injury so far.

|

7/31/2020 8:43 PM

Fortyseven wrote:

Super great chilli!!! I'm like wowz!!!

I wish I could post my vids on here. I got one of me last week going about 120 degrees with a megaspin. But two nights ago I went 180!!!! Woooohoooooo!!! Or almost 180. It was like 175. It felt good though. I think it helped to look like when trying to hop spin. I'm still trying to figure out the elements of how much to lean, how much to not lean, how fast to be going etc. This stuff is complex. LOL

I'm getting good at spinning my bars 540 just flat on the ground. LOL.

I have to admit something else though I took off my 2nd front peg. I don't know how I'm gonna be a flatlander that doesn't like pegs but I really don't. I'm gonna just focus on what tricks I can do with my 2 right side pegs. I do everything opposite of most people so.......

I was trying to put my head together on how you get back on the bike after being in the fork glide position and I was stumped. I know you have to switch feet but beyond that I get like, what the...... I gotta go back and watch your vids again chilli.

Nice work on the megaspins, keep it up. One thing I have to constantly remind myself that I find to be key is to start into the spin calmly and at an even tempo. My tendency is to want to whip around right into it too fast, and scuff like a madman, but I find when I slow that down I am much better able to find the balance point, and then scuff with a nice smooth tempo, which helps keep from losing the balance.

|

8/3/2020 9:15 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/3/2020 9:17 AM

I'm definitely not at a point of scuffing on a megaspin yet. LOL. I'm just trying to get around 180. I worked on them Friday night I think it was, or Saturday and I was getting better at going more than 90 a few times. One or two close to 180. And yeah, I hear you on the tempo and speed. I go into them kind of slow. I will try to keep in my mind about not trying to spin too fast. I get that because when I do that I usually end up diving down too far too fast, leaning too hard, and having to put my foot down.

I think it's my new favorite trick. It feels really cool when you swing around.

pnj, my peg wheelies are not long at all. We're talking less than 10' still. So... Possibly working on the megaspins kind of may play into what you're saying though. I can try to do more lazy circles and see how long i can stay up. Usually when I'm working on peg wheelies I'm trying to do it straight.


I'm sooooo close to landing a tailwhip but it's still eluding me. The other night one felt super good. It was like I was able to take my time, put my feet down nice on the pedals but then my bike was leaning to the right and I tried to pull up my front tire and start to swing that way but I ended up putting a foot down. It felt sooooooo good and soooo close though. It was really cool that the bike felt balance while I slowly put my feet down on the pedals instead of having to rush it super fast.


|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun

8/3/2020 10:01 AM

you should try putting your foot on your tire as soon as your bike gets to 90 on the megaspin.

film yourself doing the longest slight curving peg wheeling that you can. Doing them curved is easier than doing it in a strait line.

|

8/4/2020 9:36 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/4/2020 9:36 AM

No kidding eh? I'll have to watch them again. I've just been trying to spin all the way around without scuffing and I've made it nearly 180 a few times. I gotta watch some youtube vids of these tricks I'm trying. I guess I completely forgot that was part of a megaspin. LOL.

I fell asleep early last night and by the time I woke up from that nap I didn't work on my bmx tricks that late. And it rained the night before so I've been two days without. Feeling like a slacker. Oh well. Do your best and caulk the rest they say. LOL.

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun

8/5/2020 7:36 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/5/2020 7:37 AM

worked on fork glides last night. Entries and just staying up in a line . Progress has been made. Still got a long way to go. But I'm starting to feel more at home on the front peg going backwards. Balance is better and can stay up longer and longer. I mean small incriments of longer but.... LOL. Felt good to see progress. Even if it's small. My entries were better too. More successful ones where I can start to scuff. But usually the scuffing makes me lose my balance so I'm learning how to do that. Not easy

Still spinning bars 540. That's fun. Gotta make it to 720. Do a few hops every night. Until I get one that feels decent.

So much fun and good exercise. .

I think I'm gonna need a freecoaster sooner or later.

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun

8/11/2020 7:19 AM

It's rained the last two nights, so no dice on tricks. BUT, two nights ago I was working on fork glides and somehow stayed up quite a bit longer than I ever have. I got it on video and put it up on instagram but it felt so sweet!! I even got a scuff in without falling. Now I didn't stay up after an entry. Just with starting out off the bike. But man it felt great.

The night before that I was doing good with nose pivots. I figured out that when you use more speed it helps. I'm thinking I need to learn how to nose pivot 180 into a good fakie. But man it is hard for me learning fakies. No place to push off of around here.

Also, if any of you are praying type. My wife and I are leaving our church and going elsewhere. It's a long story and no need to go into but it's stressful. Big life change. 2020 has had a lot of hard crap in it this year for sure. I know we're not alone in that. But it's like c'mon now Give us a rest.

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun

8/11/2020 10:38 AM

I find it very hard to believe that you don't have or can't get, a brick. a rock. a car tire (even if it is connected to the car), a 4x4 piece of wood, garbage can, fence post, small child, dog, chicken, etc available for you to use as an object to do endos on.

two 2 x 4's duct tapped together would even work.

smile

nice job on the fork glides!

|

8/11/2020 11:38 AM

pnj wrote:

I find it very hard to believe that you don't have or can't get, a brick. a rock. a car tire (even if it is connected to the car), a 4x4 piece of wood, garbage can, fence post, small child, dog, chicken, etc available for you to use as an object to do endos on.

two 2 x 4's duct tapped together would even work.

smile

nice job on the fork glides!

Foot jams work well too...

|

8/11/2020 1:19 PM

pnj wrote:

I find it very hard to believe that you don't have or can't get, a brick. a rock. a car tire (even if it is connected to the car), a 4x4 piece of wood, garbage can, fence post, small child, dog, chicken, etc available for you to use as an object to do endos on.

two 2 x 4's duct tapped together would even work.

smile

nice job on the fork glides!

Pnj, that made me laugh...

Not trying to be a stickler, but you forgot one of the most important ones..

The neighbor's mean eyed cat...

|





8/12/2020 6:57 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/12/2020 7:01 AM

Well I'm probably doing it wrong cuz I feel like I gotta be going faster than any of those will stop to get a good amount of force to roll backwards more than just a few inches. But maybe I'm all wet. Seems like if you go into the bump super slow, you're not gonna be able to roll back very much. Although I know there is some body english going on too

I did it on my sons rim once and he got irritated with me and I said it's not gonna hurt it but he wasn't having it. He parks in the yard right off the side of the driveway.

I did work on footjam fakies last night and I had a few where I got rolling backwards a bit. But none that I rotated out of lol. I can still keep working on it that way. It's another hard one. I think the only times I ever roll off from a footjam fakie is basically if there's not really much fakie. Just and endo. And even then I have a super low percentage of staying up with those. I'm always leaning one side or the other. Like I said I got a few good ones last night where I was upright and didn't need to put a foot down until after rolling back a bit and then trying to rotate out. I gotta get better at trying to do like a hop and pull the front tire up and rotate that frame.

I'm hoping I can learn to work on this from the front pivots. Many times when I get a good 180 front pivot I'm almost stopped dead in my tracks and don't roll backwards. But I think if I keep working on them I'll get to where I can front pivot 180 then roll backwards. I saw another flatlander do this the other day and it was pretty cool.

Last night I did the barspins where you don't even lift up. I did it 720. A couple of times. YAAAAY!!! It's up on my instagram cuz I caught it on camera. That was fun. It's always so invigorating to have progress. Even if it's simple or small. I dont know if I will even try for 900 or 1080. I guess I should.

If it doesn't rain, tonight will be tailwhips. I keep getting so close each night I work on them. Now I'm to the point with the same thing with fakies. I'll get back on the bike once or twice a night but then have a hard time with rotating out of it because many times I'm rolling back JUST slightly. But not enough to use any momentum. One day I hope I will get it cuz that's one that I just really want to bad.

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun

8/12/2020 7:47 AM

if you feel you need to go fast for endos, your body english is way off. it's in your arms and bending your legs to let your bike come off the ground. I can do an endo with zero speed.

you could also get three bricks, a board, and make a wedge ramp. roll up ramp. roll backwards down ramp. etc..

|

8/12/2020 10:02 AM

@ 47..

You don't need to endo to get enough momentum for a fakie. Just push off like I do here...

You can only see this on a computer or the desktop version on your phone..

|





8/12/2020 10:03 AM

Ha it looks like they fixed the YouTube stuff! Yay!

|





8/14/2020 8:28 AM

I hear what both of you are saying. I've gotten better about using my arms and legs to get and endo higher and compressing it. I'm not relying on speed for that. I guess the part I'm confused about is if you want to do a fakie more than a couple of feet, like in your video BSG, you need some kind of momentum Or seems like you do. I've done short fakies before.

I will keep working on the in a slow manner. Last night I tried getting into a fakie from a 180 nose pivot and I'm not quite there yet. It will take some time to get to that point. But I'm getting better at going 180 consistently on a nose pivot. I even got a little farther than 180 last night but then had to put my foot down I was surprised by it. LOL.

I'm doing better at spinning the bike around 180 with my rear foot on the rear peg too. I guess I'm not doing a megaspn correctly without scuffing backwards in it but I'm getting used to the feel of swinging the bike around more consistently. That is a fun one for me.

And I did my 720 barspin again last night. I've been doing that one each night since I landed it. That one seems to be a crowd pleaser. I get more comments on that one, including it looks dangerous from well meaning women. LOL. But my guess is they'd look at a manual and be like MEH. Cuz they don't know what it takes. LOL Tricks are funny like that. My uncle was not impressed with me staying up in a fork glide. LOL. I was thinking man this is so cool. Hheehehehe. To each his own.

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun

8/14/2020 9:39 AM

Fortyseven wrote:

I hear what both of you are saying. I've gotten better about using my arms and legs to get and endo higher and compressing it. I'm not relying on speed for that. I guess the part I'm confused about is if you want to do a fakie more than a couple of feet, like in your video BSG, you need some kind of momentum Or seems like you do. I've done short fakies before.

I will keep working on the in a slow manner. Last night I tried getting into a fakie from a 180 nose pivot and I'm not quite there yet. It will take some time to get to that point. But I'm getting better at going 180 consistently on a nose pivot. I even got a little farther than 180 last night but then had to put my foot down I was surprised by it. LOL.

I'm doing better at spinning the bike around 180 with my rear foot on the rear peg too. I guess I'm not doing a megaspn correctly without scuffing backwards in it but I'm getting used to the feel of swinging the bike around more consistently. That is a fun one for me.

And I did my 720 barspin again last night. I've been doing that one each night since I landed it. That one seems to be a crowd pleaser. I get more comments on that one, including it looks dangerous from well meaning women. LOL. But my guess is they'd look at a manual and be like MEH. Cuz they don't know what it takes. LOL Tricks are funny like that. My uncle was not impressed with me staying up in a fork glide. LOL. I was thinking man this is so cool. Hheehehehe. To each his own.

I want to learn the 720 barspin while fakieing. Looks cool as hell.

|

8/14/2020 11:58 AM

use your body motion to get help the momentum for fakies. Do an endo and when the rear tire lands, move your body with force, backwards.. if that makes sense. YOU have to FORCE the bike to want to roll backwards.

Or make a small ramp to ride up.. one board. two bricks..

Let your uncle have a go at trying fork glides... smile

|

8/14/2020 12:11 PM

pnj wrote:

use your body motion to get help the momentum for fakies. Do an endo and when the rear tire lands, move your body with force, backwards.. if that makes sense. YOU have to FORCE the bike to want to roll backwards.

Or make a small ramp to ride up.. one board. two bricks..

Let your uncle have a go at trying fork glides... smile

I'm learning that pumping can be really helpful. Alot of the new school stars do minimal scuffing in favor of pumping...

|