So, BlackSwampGhost, you doing any flatlandish type tricks yet?

Related:
Create New Tag

4/6/2020 9:26 AM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

I don't have brakes so..

Today I was trying (and succeeding in) stopping with my foot on the back tire, then scuffing the other way fakie, only about 6ft doing that. I often get greedy on my fakies and keep them longer than I should. Also tried (no success lol) backward infinity, that's harder than I thought..

I also like to practice stopping fast and skids type of stuff..

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!!!! I would love to see that cuz I'm having a hard time how you're scuffing to a fakie after stopping with your foot on the rear tire....

pnj, the pegs I have are only for one side of a bike. Cuz the axles are different diameters on front and rear.

I have some cheap ones from my Kent Fantasy. But I think I will probably do what Mishinn is saying and just try the ones I got for now. I do see some dudes without brakes. And I don't really want them. But again, I may change my mind about that. And no I don't have the right set up for front brakes. I wish I did. New front forks might be a good idea eventually. Which by the way, do some guys get forks that are not as wide as others for the tires? Or is that just older forks? I mean I hear sometimes how forks won't fit a fat tire. And I guess if you run smaller tires it would be nice if they forks were closer to the tire for footjams. I know there is that spacer thing like Mulletsnax has but I was just curious about how they're made now if you went out and bought them. If you look for specific width of space.

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun

4/6/2020 10:09 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/6/2020 10:52 AM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

I don't have brakes so..

Today I was trying (and succeeding in) stopping with my foot on the back tire, then scuffing the other way fakie, only about 6ft doing that. I often get greedy on my fakies and keep them longer than I should. Also tried (no success lol) backward infinity, that's harder than I thought..

I also like to practice stopping fast and skids type of stuff..

Fortyseven wrote:

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!!!! I would love to see that cuz I'm having a hard time how you're scuffing to a fakie after stopping with your foot on the rear tire....

pnj, the pegs I have are only for one side of a bike. Cuz the axles are different diameters on front and rear.

I have some cheap ones from my Kent Fantasy. But I think I will probably do what Mishinn is saying and just try the ones I got for now. I do see some dudes without brakes. And I don't really want them. But again, I may change my mind about that. And no I don't have the right set up for front brakes. I wish I did. New front forks might be a good idea eventually. Which by the way, do some guys get forks that are not as wide as others for the tires? Or is that just older forks? I mean I hear sometimes how forks won't fit a fat tire. And I guess if you run smaller tires it would be nice if they forks were closer to the tire for footjams. I know there is that spacer thing like Mulletsnax has but I was just curious about how they're made now if you went out and bought them. If you look for specific width of space.

I think most of the forks being made these days for brakes will accommodate larger tires. My Odyssey F25's have plenty of space. I'd have to worry about my brake caliper long before my fork.

|

4/6/2020 10:17 AM

Fortyseven wrote:

I'm starting to really get the itch. I think I'm realizing I'm old and I don't really plan to be jumping high and I'm not really gonna be riding around finding spots in the city to be jumping on handrails and such. I even kind of have enough room on my driveway cuz it sort of opens up by the garage, although I do like parking lots a bit better. Only thing is most parking lots have some kind of slope to them for run off. I might try the basketball courts by me next. I've been kind of avoiding it cuz people have been playing there when I go. So yesterday I ended up in the Kmart parking lot cuz they're out of business. Just me and the seagulls.

The one skate park by me has a nice big open spot for room to do stuff.

I'm gonna start learning more about flatlanding. I watched this little Russian gal last night I found on Instagram. And she was doing some flatland stuff and she didn't have brakes. Which I thought was cool. @_diana1907_. And then I think I saw another kid without brakes.

I guess the one thing is I might need a freecoaster… Well, if I get to the point that I'm rolling backwards in a trick. LOL.

I'm so close to landing a foot jam tail whip. Haven't done it yet but I'm getting there.

Anyways..... Just thought I'd ask to get some ideas for tricks. See which ones you might be working on....

Honestly freecoasters are only a big deal in flatland if you’re doing G-Turns and/or you’re hitting your shins all the time going backwards. I use a cassette and believe it or not Rick Allison (radical rick, crazy I know, he still rides) still uses a cassette after all these years.

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

4/6/2020 1:19 PM

G turn is a front wheel trick. So a freecoaster wouldn't be involved at all.. ?

Doing a foot jam endo to stop forward momentum, instead of jamming your foot into your rear wheel is a better way to get your momentum going backwards. Then you can start the scuffing. Stand on rear peg. jam the other foot into your front wheel. small endo.. start to roll back..

then lift your front tire for a backwards wheelie.. smile

I am so bored....

|

4/6/2020 3:53 PM

pnj wrote:

Doing a foot jam endo to stop forward momentum, instead of jamming your foot into your rear wheel is a better way to get your momentum going backwards. Then you can start the scuffing. Stand on rear peg. jam the other foot into your front wheel. small endo.. start to roll back..

I am so bored....

I agree, it's a lot easier to gain fakie momentum on the front, footjam straight to one good scuff and your off to the races..

I'm trying to use the rear tire so I can let my bars "roll with it" spinning countless times.. I'm pretty far from doing exactly that though..lol

47, the way I was trying it on the rear tire was I'd put my shoe on the tire right behind the seat post to stop, after stopping just start kicking my foot (similar to pushing forward on a skateboard) except doing that on the back tire makes you go backwards/fakie..👍

|

4/6/2020 6:22 PM

|

4/6/2020 6:55 PM

pnj wrote:

Yeah, like that^

Except I can keep my one foot on the pedal with a freecoaster. I tried it on the peg too, not as easy for me as on the pedal.. Also my infinity is measured in a few feet lol... I should have that nailed sooner than later I hope..

|

4/6/2020 7:39 PM

give it a few more goes on the rear peg. it makes it easier to scuff the tire because your foot / leg is in a better position for scuffing. or not.. it's your gig man. long as you're having fun. smile

|

4/6/2020 8:37 PM

pnj wrote:

give it a few more goes on the rear peg. it makes it easier to scuff the tire because your foot / leg is in a better position for scuffing. or not.. it's your gig man. long as you're having fun. smile

10-4, foot on the peg seems more balanced for sure..

|

4/7/2020 5:25 PM

So I made a clip of what I was talking about, although I still suck at it lol...

|

4/7/2020 7:55 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

I think most of the forks being made these days for brakes will accommodate larger tires. My Odyssey F25's have plenty of space. I'd have to worry about my brake caliper long before my fork.

I think some flatland forks are still made for smaller tires, but that's probably the exception at this point. On mine, the brake posts are set too low for larger tires though, wish they published those measurements. Might be a bit better with different brakes?

I posted an Instagram of an infinity roll to back peg wheelie over the weekend, funny to see this topic today.

|

Remember when you could ride all day and not be sore for a week?
Instagram: @theothermaj

4/7/2020 9:20 PM

Fortyseven wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

MJbmx wrote:

I think some flatland forks are still made for smaller tires, but that's probably the exception at this point. On mine, the brake posts are set too low for larger tires though, wish they published those measurements. Might be a bit better with different brakes?

I posted an Instagram of an infinity roll to back peg wheelie over the weekend, funny to see this topic today.

Awesome clip man! Great tune too..

|

4/8/2020 6:02 AM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

So I made a clip of what I was talking about, although I still suck at it lol...

Those pegs! Cool variant, never thought to try it on the pedal

|

Remember when you could ride all day and not be sore for a week?
Instagram: @theothermaj

4/8/2020 6:52 AM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

MJbmx wrote:

Thanks man, that means a lot to me.. Part of my goal is just learn/try weird different stuff in my attempt to be unique, I'm certainly not going to be trying tailwhips any time soon or later lol..

|

4/8/2020 6:54 AM

101 is good but really check out mat wilhelms video.. I think its called ground rules

|

-- doing business like its a business since 1985 --

"*a08 is awesome" -Penman166

a08's Street Build

a08's Ohio Standard - STOLEN - REWARD IF FOUND

WTB: Chrome GSport Birdcage Rims

4/8/2020 6:54 AM

|

a08's Street Build

4/8/2020 6:55 AM

bonus if you learn these tricks with spiked hair, baggy jeans and a sleeveless T shirt

|

a08's Street Build

4/8/2020 7:42 AM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Thanks man, that means a lot to me.. Part of my goal is just learn/try weird different stuff in my attempt to be unique, I'm certainly not going to be trying tailwhips any time soon or later lol..

certainly do whatever you want and feels good. That is the whole point of riding. But....

getting basics down will really help with originality.

rolling backwards on the rear pegs is WAY easier than doing it on the pedal. If you can do infinity rolls on the pegs, you will be able to do them on the pedal.

Doing a foot jam endo will give you a LOT more backwards momentum and I bet that you will be able to roll backwards much further if you're standing on the rear pegs. Go try it ten times in a row. smile

Sorry if I seem pushy or whatever. I haven't been on a bike in 2+ years because of health issues. I NEED you guys to ride for me. smile

|

4/8/2020 8:18 AM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

VERY NICE BSG!!!!!

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun

4/8/2020 8:27 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/8/2020 8:28 AM

MJbmx wrote:

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

pnj wrote:

certainly do whatever you want and feels good. That is the whole point of riding. But....

rolling backwards on the rear pegs is WAY easier than doing it on the pedal. If you can do infinity rolls on the pegs, you will be able to do them on the pedal.

Doing a foot jam endo will give you a LOT more backwards momentum and I bet that you will be able to roll backwards much further if you're standing on the rear pegs. Go try it ten times in a row. smile

Sorry if I seem pushy or whatever. I haven't been on a bike in 2+ years because of health issues. I NEED you guys to ride for me. smile

Oh jeez. Sorry to hear!!!! I didn't realize that all this time. I can appreciate your situation. I have lyme and it kicked my butt. I feel like I lost 10+ years. Which is why I'm having so much fun doing so little on my bike. LOL.

I tried to look up back yards on youtube yesterday (I had BMX Flatland in the search) and all I got was people's ramps in their yard and one guy talking in Spanish showing a trick. I didn't actually watch that whole one to see it cuz he talked for like 5 minutes plus in the beginning with no riding and I had to go cook lunch at the time. LOL.

You got any vids of backyard and frontyard?

I would post more videos for you but half the time there seems like some kind of technical difficulty. I got some vids of me landing some 360 spins this weekend but they came through all...…… Weird. super bad quality film. But they're not like that on the phone.....

Here, I'll show ya:

https://imgur.com/UTgMCTK

|

4/8/2020 8:28 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/8/2020 8:29 AM

https://i.imgur.com/UTgMCTK.mp4

I meeeeeeean. I think a file gets too big to send and weird things start to happen. It's worked in the past though, so I don't get it.

|

4/8/2020 9:15 AM

Fortyseven wrote:

Oh jeez. Sorry to hear!!!! I didn't realize that all this time. I can appreciate your situation. I have lyme and it kicked my butt. I feel like I lost 10+ years. Which is why I'm having so much fun doing so little on my bike. LOL.

I tried to look up back yards on youtube yesterday (I had BMX Flatland in the search) and all I got was people's ramps in their yard and one guy talking in Spanish showing a trick. I didn't actually watch that whole one to see it cuz he talked for like 5 minutes plus in the beginning with no riding and I had to go cook lunch at the time. LOL.

You got any vids of backyard and frontyard?

I would post more videos for you but half the time there seems like some kind of technical difficulty. I got some vids of me landing some 360 spins this weekend but they came through all...…… Weird. super bad quality film. But they're not like that on the phone.....

Here, I'll show ya:

https://imgur.com/UTgMCTK

Nice job bro!

Those are called "pull ups" or "pull up bars"..

"Landing some 360 spins" the reader is picturing something completely different..😃

|

4/8/2020 9:18 AM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Fortyseven wrote:

VERY NICE BSG!!!!!

Thanks man, I'm going to keep working on that for sure.. Need to learn it standing on the peg too..

|

4/8/2020 9:21 AM

pnj wrote:

No worries man, glad to ride for ya, and appreciate being pushed in the right directions!! 👍

|

4/8/2020 11:32 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/8/2020 11:33 AM

The video that A08 posted has a LOT of great beginner tricks.

I found this video of a front yard.

the third trick in this video is a backyard.

|

4/9/2020 9:04 AM

BSG, thanks for the correction. I think I knew that but wasn't paying attention when I said what I did. LOL. Ooops. What stinks is that I did pull up bars (360) a bunch the first night I tried it. I tried it on gravel. And then the day I took the vids I did them more but I felt like I was worse at them. Then the next day I only landed them once after trying a bunch. I felt like my right shoulder got pretty sore and was slowing me down. Then one night I couldn't do them at all and worked on other stuff. LOL. Hopefully I'll be able to repeat them. I noticed that I'm really only getting 270 degrees rotation and the momentum carries it through after hitting the ground. LOL.

So, I got new tires, way smaller. I bought two Cult Butter pegs. They felt really light in the store and it was the ones they said were the lightest they had. They are 4.9 oz each though. Which is not super light. My stock eastern ones are 6 oz each. But the one thing is that I don't really want to ride the Cult on one side and the Eastern on the other cuz they're different widths. The steel ones are way thinner. I will probably put the two cult ones on my front. and then get two super light ones for the rear in the future. But for now will put the Eastern one on the rear. Either that or just put the Cult on my right side for now. I wanna ride of a few days without pegs to get used to the new tires though. That'll give me time to watch all the vids and see what tricks I wanna start trying to do.

Sorry if you guyz are getting tired of that pic from the other threads. I'll take more soon. My old computer busted and for some reason my new computer won't recognize my G:drive from when I take pics with my Canon. So I can't use the Canon and take good pics. Grrrrrrrrr…… Just my crappy Ipotato6.

Photo

|

4/9/2020 9:20 AM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

I worked on that^ some more last night.. Getting better at it and even rode out a couple times too..

I tried it standing on a peg too, it seems tougher to me, I think because the peg is higher off the ground, standing on the pedal gives me a lower center of gravity.. I'll keep trying on the peg for sure because other tricks can come from that way too..

|

4/9/2020 10:49 AM

Anytime we do something new it feels weird or odd. The more you do it, the easier and more natural it will feel.

|

4/13/2020 9:06 AM

pnj wrote:

I am so bored....

Yeah, but when you’re rolling backwards on cassette the cranks move and you have to fakie out or stand on the pegs. There’s a few tricks you can’t do fakie without a freecoaster although they’re honestly negligible. Either way flatland with a freecoaster isn’t as necessary as most will make you think.

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

4/13/2020 9:12 AM

I might put my pegs on today. I think I'm just gonna start with 2. And see what tricks I can try to learn with just 2. Or maybe I'll go three. I can't decide. LOL. I'm not gonna go 4 until I order another set because currently I'd have to have 2 different diameters on the front with 1 steel and 1 cult butter. The Cult Butter are like way wider than the steel ones I have. If I go three I can put both the Butters on the front. And then I'd like to find some super light ones for the rear.

Anyways.... I still gotta watch that longer vid posted. I watched the shorter ones though. Lots of great help in this thread. Thank you!!!!

|