So, BlackSwampGhost, you doing any flatlandish type tricks yet?

Related:
Create New Tag

4/13/2020 9:14 AM

HavokDJ wrote:

Yeah, but when you’re rolling backwards on cassette the cranks move and you have to fakie out or stand on the pegs. There’s a few tricks you can’t do fakie without a freecoaster although they’re honestly negligible. Either way flatland with a freecoaster isn’t as necessary as most will make you think.

I know. I spent 30 some odd years rolling around in parking lots... smile

|

4/13/2020 5:42 PM

Fortyseven wrote:

I might put my pegs on today. I think I'm just gonna start with 2. And see what tricks I can try to learn with just 2. Or maybe I'll go three. I can't decide. LOL. I'm not gonna go 4 until I order another set because currently I'd have to have 2 different diameters on the front with 1 steel and 1 cult butter. The Cult Butter are like way wider than the steel ones I have. If I go three I can put both the Butters on the front. And then I'd like to find some super light ones for the rear.

Anyways.... I still gotta watch that longer vid posted. I watched the shorter ones though. Lots of great help in this thread. Thank you!!!!

You can always take them off, stop thinking and start doing. Early on, you almost never need both feet on the front pegs at the same time, I wouldn't worry about the size difference.

If weight is your main concern and you don't plan to grind, all plastics hold up surprisingly well. I run some cheap plastics off of Amazon with some grip tape, they're super light at 3 oz per pair and have no more noticable flex than my MPegs.

|

Remember when you could ride all day and not be sore for a week?
Instagram: @theothermaj

4/14/2020 7:43 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/14/2020 7:48 AM

3oz is light for a peg.... NIIIIIICE! Thanks for the link. Not cheap though... wowz.

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun

4/14/2020 9:05 AM

A08 wrote:

this is a great video. I've only watched 15 minutes thus far but I'm liking it a lot. I'm gonna put 4 pegs on to begin with.... Looks like you need 4 to do a fork glide. I was thinking I could try it the opposite way because the first few people I watched do it were left foot forward. But he's right foot forward and he's doing it from the left side of the bike too. I could probably try it the other way though. Anyways... I should just put 4 on. I'm concerned about my left foot rubbing on the rear peg.... I'll put the smaller metal one on there. I do want to get some lighter pegs for the rear though.

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun

4/14/2020 9:52 AM

Fortyseven wrote:

this is a great video. I've only watched 15 minutes thus far but I'm liking it a lot. I'm gonna put 4 pegs on to begin with.... Looks like you need 4 to do a fork glide. I was thinking I could try it the opposite way because the first few people I watched do it were left foot forward. But he's right foot forward and he's doing it from the left side of the bike too. I could probably try it the other way though. Anyways... I should just put 4 on. I'm concerned about my left foot rubbing on the rear peg.... I'll put the smaller metal one on there. I do want to get some lighter pegs for the rear though.

nice! I've always loved BMX in general and I think its cool when people can boost a box jump one day, pull a hang five to whiplash the next day and then go ride trails the next..

BMX!

|

-- doing business like its a business since 1985 --

"*a08 is awesome" -Penman166

a08's Street Build

a08's Ohio Standard - STOLEN - REWARD IF FOUND


WTB: Chrome GSport Birdcage Rims

4/14/2020 10:45 AM

If we had trails around here I'd be interested. Kind of..... But I don't think I'd be brave enough for that much air. It looks like so much fun.

Either way It's probably better for me in general to focus more on balance tricks. I pretty much can do that at home, don't NEED a skatepark and is probably a bit more easier on an older guy then say trying to rail grind an handrail that is 3' tall and slopes 30 degrees like the street guys do. LOL.

Now if I would've started this when I was in my 20's...… whole different story. Oh well. Can't rewind the clock.

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun

4/14/2020 11:41 AM

dude. PUT THE PEGS THAT YOU HAVE ON YOUR BIKE. like, right now man... smile


you can do SO much with just two pegs on one side of the bike..

fire hydrant
fire hydrant to funky chicken
half lash
infinity rolls
peg wheelies. (forwards and backwards. )
and more !

lol.

do it..... smile

|

4/14/2020 11:57 AM

as a flatland rider i should really read this whole thread, but i'm not going to. i think i'll try to ride and maybe even get a clip for instagram.

|

It’s all bmx

4/15/2020 8:53 AM

pnj wrote:

dude. PUT THE PEGS THAT YOU HAVE ON YOUR BIKE. like, right now man... smile


you can do SO much with just two pegs on one side of the bike..

fire hydrant
fire hydrant to funky chicken
half lash
infinity rolls
peg wheelies. (forwards and backwards. )
and more !

lol.

do it..... smile

FWIW I did it BEFORE I read your post here. LOL. But I'll be honest, I'm kind of intimidated now. Lots of things going on with 4 pegs. Not sure I like how my rear foot hitting it sometimes. Although to be honest after I rode around for a while I didn't feel like I was hitting it much. I did some bunny hops and don't think the extra weight was a detriment, thank God. Although a few times it did feel a little wonky and I didn't do it good, but that can happen.

I tried scuffing backwards with the bars backwards, like the 2nd part of a fork glide and I was not good at all. I didn't stay up very long at all. I eventually was able to ride out of a 180 barspin from standing on the back pegs but man does that feel super weird. Plus it's harder then when you're on your pedals. Cuz I had to get on my pedals and ride out of it. Which I did twice thankfully but only after trying several times.

Laying the bike down and getting back up is super easy with pegs on though. LOL. That's about the only thing that I was like wow, that was cool.

Part of me wants to go back to 2 pegs, not sure why even. I guess to maybe try and get some skillz down with 2 pegs and then move on. Although obviously you have more options with 4. I don't really like the metal pegs though. They give me a bit of the willies. I feel like if I come down on plastic pegs they're much wider and not as intimidating but those thin metal pegs look like they could do some damage. LOL.

One other small tidbit is something is wonky with my forks. I have to have a washer on the left side to get my front tire to center well and the pegs look like they're on different angles and it bugs me a bit. hehehehe

I was telling Mishinn yesterday I was excited to try these things but had a feeling it would be a lot harder than it looks. It is...... smile

Photo

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun

4/15/2020 8:55 AM

adamnmexican wrote:

as a flatland rider i should really read this whole thread, but i'm not going to. i think i'll try to ride and maybe even get a clip for instagram.

Can I look you up on Instagram? What's your handle. Mine is SilentNIghtSun if you are interested. Obviously nothing earthshatteringly good on my page but Spongey said it would be good to share my progress.

Which by the way Spongey, we need a vid of you trying to bar hop on Instagram. Hehehheheeh But I liked the new ones you put up!!!!!! Thank you.

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun

4/15/2020 9:30 AM

It does put it into perspective when you see just how hard doing stunts on a bike is.

Pro's and advanced riders put in a LOT OF TIME to get to where they are.

All I can say is, EXPECT everything you do to feel awkward when you first step into it.

and KNOW that the more you do it, the easier it gets.

Hell. there was a point in your life when you couldn't even RIDE the bike. Remember that?

learning ANYTHING is the same way.

Just go out. mess around. have fun. get scared. get better. smile. smile

|

4/15/2020 1:51 PM

Dane Beardsley: Beginners all the way to the top riders put in a lot of work to do this shit! How many normal people can peg wheelie? Nobody! Anyone you meet who rides flatland (doesn’t matter the era) will be amazingly hard working. It’s true today. Everyone agrees that the level of today's riding is incredible. You can’t go to a jam, contest, or watch a new video and not be blown away at what people are doing.

Flatmatters Online: Decade of Flatland Part 2

I liked this quote. Some days all I do are peg wheelies.
|

Remember when you could ride all day and not be sore for a week?
Instagram: @theothermaj

4/15/2020 7:03 PM

So I'm starting to feel much more balanced and comfortable with my fork glides...


Not fully consistent holding them yet, but getting there so figured I'd spend some time trying the entry into them...


If there are any fork glide masters here that have any tips or feedback on my entries I'd love to hear it. It seems like on the ones where I felt closest to getting it I would end up with my weight leaning a little too much away from the bike, and the rear of the bike would lift up. Wasn't able to enter and get more than a couple scuffs so far, but will definitely spend more time working on them tomorrow.
|

4/16/2020 6:16 AM

AWESOME!

Put less weight on your bars and more weight on just your peg. It's the leverage from the bars that pull the rear end up.

Also, it's totally okay if the rear wheel does lift as long as you keep your foot on the peg and keep rolling. Don't just step off if the rear wheel does lift up.

One thing I like to do is 'step into the hard part' of the trick. Set your bike up so you're in 'fork glide' position. Put your foot on the peg and kick off from there. Find the balance point from the fork glide position.

This way, when you do the first part of the trick, your body is already familiar with the gliding part.

Keep it up! smile

|

4/16/2020 8:40 AM

"One thing I like to do is 'step into the hard part' of the trick. Set your bike up so you're in 'fork glide' position. Put your foot on the peg and kick off from there. Find the balance point from the fork glide position."

I assume you mean like what I'm doing in the first video? Or something else?

|

4/16/2020 8:53 AM

cchili00 freaking great guy!!!!! I feel bad sharing this thread with you cuz I'm not progressing anywhere near as fast as you.

It's gonna sound like an excuse but my lyme disease and a side issue called POTS I have make it difficult. I can't really be on my feet for longer than 1/2 hour stints cuz my BP drops super low. It sucks. Plus my stamina is shot from the disease. Anyways.... I don't want to take anything away from your talent and skill and even if I didn't have those issues I might not progress as quickly as you GREAT JOB SIR!!!!!

I'm not sure what's up with my videos. Every time I send my vids from my phone to email it loses a bunch of quality now. It didn't used to do that. But at least you can see it. I got a long way to go to work on balancing the fork glide scuff. I was watching this beginner video last night by Dustyn someone... Dustyn, I forget his last name and he shoed a way to learn balance was to sit on your bike and turn the wheel 90 degrees. And then put both your feet on either side of the wheel and balance that way. And then when you get brave spin the bars 90 degrees. He did it kind of slow but it was neat. Anyways....

https://i.imgur.com/CZvN8IL.mp4

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun

4/16/2020 9:16 AM

I'm going to have to learn that fork glide stuff now too, damn.. Pretty sure it should prove easier than infinity rolls, at least I'm hoping lol..

|





4/16/2020 10:15 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/16/2020 10:20 AM

Edited, I was talking about how weird the barspins from the rear pegs felt but I said that earlier. So yeah infinity rolls seem like they would be waaaaay hard. LOL. Anything from the back pegs seems like it would be.

The little bit of research I'm doing seems like the Fork Glide is considered ground zero for flatland tricks...… Which might have already been said or you might already know that. But I figured I'd throw it out there. I was hoping to get away with not having my rear left peg on, but to do a fork glide on the side that is most comfortable for me, I need it on there. LOL. After two short session of having it on there, I don't mind it much at all. But I haven't been working on manuals too much yet. I could maybe use a different chain and lengthen it just a bit to get some added room. I'm not sure I want to pony up for cranks. I think I might want a front brake first which might require different forks. I'm still undecided about brakes though. But I'm with you, I think a front one seems more practical and I'd use it more than a rear one. Plus I like the idea of having the brake on the right side, for a front brake. Part of why I started all this stuff because deep down I wanted a motorcycle but I don't have the dough for one yet. LOL. I guess I could take my stimulus money and get one but now I'm too into riding bmx. LOL. But it seems like you would just need more and more money for all that and if you get a dirtbike you don't have as many places to ride.

I might just stick with bikes. Would be nice to eventually have a motorcycle too though. LOL. I like how Nina, that pro girl straps her bmx to her motorcycle. That's pretty sweet.

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun

4/16/2020 10:27 AM

cchili00 wrote:

"One thing I like to do is 'step into the hard part' of the trick. Set your bike up so you're in 'fork glide' position. Put your foot on the peg and kick off from there. Find the balance point from the fork glide position."

I assume you mean like what I'm doing in the first video? Or something else?

Probably.. I'm having technical issues on my end and was only able to see the last video. :/

Keep on keepin' on . smile

|

4/16/2020 10:30 AM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

I'm going to have to learn that fork glide stuff now too, damn.. Pretty sure it should prove easier than infinity rolls, at least I'm hoping lol..

They are pretty much the same trick / technique. But one may come easier for you..

Once you're able to roll on one peg (front or rear), other tricks will become easier.

|

4/16/2020 10:37 AM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

I'm going to have to learn that fork glide stuff now too, damn.. Pretty sure it should prove easier than infinity rolls, at least I'm hoping lol..

pnj wrote:

They are pretty much the same trick / technique. But one may come easier for you..

Once you're able to roll on one peg (front or rear), other tricks will become easier.

Yeah, very similar, but infinity rolls involve fakie (rear wheel steering) where fork glides are regular steering.. Both tricks your body is facing backwards, but I can sit on my bars a ride facing backwards all day lol..

|





4/16/2020 10:37 AM

Fortyseven wrote:

cchili00 freaking great guy!!!!! I feel bad sharing this thread with you cuz I'm not progressing anywhere near as fast as you.

It's gonna sound like an excuse but my lyme disease and a side issue called POTS I have make it difficult. I can't really be on my feet for longer than 1/2 hour stints cuz my BP drops super low. It sucks. Plus my stamina is shot from the disease. Anyways.... I don't want to take anything away from your talent and skill and even if I didn't have those issues I might not progress as quickly as you GREAT JOB SIR!!!!!

I'm not sure what's up with my videos. Every time I send my vids from my phone to email it loses a bunch of quality now. It didn't used to do that. But at least you can see it. I got a long way to go to work on balancing the fork glide scuff. I was watching this beginner video last night by Dustyn someone... Dustyn, I forget his last name and he shoed a way to learn balance was to sit on your bike and turn the wheel 90 degrees. And then put both your feet on either side of the wheel and balance that way. And then when you get brave spin the bars 90 degrees. He did it kind of slow but it was neat. Anyways....

https://i.imgur.com/CZvN8IL.mp4

Thanks man, and I know it's hard not to compare your own progress against that of others, but it really isnt about that, it's about your journey, your progress. As long as you're getting out there and improving little by little each time you ride that's all that matters. And given that you're getting out there and doing this while battling a debilitating disease, hell that's way more impressive to me than learning a trick quickly!!

One thing I would suggest if you haven't tried this already, based on a lot of advice I read in old threads, is to learn the balance by stepping into the fork glide first, like pnj described above. You get a lot more opportunity to practice the balance part of the trick, before having to worry about trying to get the entry dialed. That said, your entry looked pretty smooth to me!

I watched that same Dustyn video (truth be told I think I watched every fork glide how to video on YouTube) and tried balancing like that. Very hard to do, lol.

|

4/16/2020 10:43 AM

Fortyseven wrote:

Edited, I was talking about how weird the barspins from the rear pegs felt but I said that earlier. So yeah infinity rolls seem like they would be waaaaay hard. LOL. Anything from the back pegs seems like it would be.

The little bit of research I'm doing seems like the Fork Glide is considered ground zero for flatland tricks...… Which might have already been said or you might already know that. But I figured I'd throw it out there. I was hoping to get away with not having my rear left peg on, but to do a fork glide on the side that is most comfortable for me, I need it on there. LOL. After two short session of having it on there, I don't mind it much at all. But I haven't been working on manuals too much yet. I could maybe use a different chain and lengthen it just a bit to get some added room. I'm not sure I want to pony up for cranks. I think I might want a front brake first which might require different forks. I'm still undecided about brakes though. But I'm with you, I think a front one seems more practical and I'd use it more than a rear one. Plus I like the idea of having the brake on the right side, for a front brake. Part of why I started all this stuff because deep down I wanted a motorcycle but I don't have the dough for one yet. LOL. I guess I could take my stimulus money and get one but now I'm too into riding bmx. LOL. But it seems like you would just need more and more money for all that and if you get a dirtbike you don't have as many places to ride.

I might just stick with bikes. Would be nice to eventually have a motorcycle too though. LOL. I like how Nina, that pro girl straps her bmx to her motorcycle. That's pretty sweet.

Are you doing the barspins from both your feet on the back pegs? Or one peg and one pedal? I could see them being very difficult with both feet on the back pegs, but i don't think that's how they're supposed to be done (unless that's a different variation?). I learned them from the Matthias Dandois Can You Make It video 1, and he taught them with one foot on the pedal. They should be much easier that way than with both feet on the pedals (or both feet on the back pegs).

|

4/16/2020 10:44 AM

BSG, that's cuz you da man.

Thanks cchili00. Spot on. Yeah, I plan to try to work on the fork glide part of balancing on the tire.

Fun fun. LOL. I wanted to try the sitting on the bike in my living room thing but I thought I'd probably destroy my TV from flying off the bike. At least if it's raining I can work on the balance stuff in the garage. I made a rule to not try bmx in the rain. At first I was because my biggest asset is I ride EVERY day, rain or shine or snow. Or sick. For my 2 mile exercise ride I've only missed 3 days in the last year. I think the every day thing helps make up for not being able to do long hours. To some degree at least. I appreciate the encouragement. But trying to do bunny hops in the rain is not the wisest thing. My shins don't appreciate it. LOL.

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun

4/16/2020 10:44 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/16/2020 10:46 AM

cchili00 wrote:

"One thing I like to do is 'step into the hard part' of the trick. Set your bike up so you're in 'fork glide' position. Put your foot on the peg and kick off from there. Find the balance point from the fork glide position."

I assume you mean like what I'm doing in the first video? Or something else?

pnj wrote:

Probably.. I'm having technical issues on my end and was only able to see the last video. :/

Keep on keepin' on . smile

No worries, just wanted to make sure there wasn't another approach I should be looking at. Oh, and thanks for the tip regarding focusing my weight on the peg instead of the bars. That makes a lot of sense, I will pay attention to that when I'm practicing today!

|

4/16/2020 12:32 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/16/2020 12:32 PM

Fortyseven wrote:

BSG, that's cuz you da man.

Thanks cchili00. Spot on. Yeah, I plan to try to work on the fork glide part of balancing on the tire.

Fun fun. LOL. I wanted to try the sitting on the bike in my living room thing but I thought I'd probably destroy my TV from flying off the bike. At least if it's raining I can work on the balance stuff in the garage. I made a rule to not try bmx in the rain. At first I was because my biggest asset is I ride EVERY day, rain or shine or snow. Or sick. For my 2 mile exercise ride I've only missed 3 days in the last year. I think the every day thing helps make up for not being able to do long hours. To some degree at least. I appreciate the encouragement. But trying to do bunny hops in the rain is not the wisest thing. My shins don't appreciate it. LOL.

Yeah, one of the videos showed that I thought. But you're right, I should try it with one on a pedal and one on a peg and see. It just doesn't seem necessary to do them with both on the rear pegs. LOL.

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun

4/16/2020 4:41 PM

Fork glide entries are starting to feel a little more controlled. I still have a tendency to put too much weight on the bars and bring the back end up, even when really trying to concentrate on not doing that, lol. But one thing I figured out is that I was trying to start scuffing too soon after spinning into the fork glide. Once I started spinning and sort of rolling out a little too find my balance before starting to scuff I felt like I was actually able to get better control. The one thing that's a little weird is when I step into them and try to just roll back while scuffing I have a definite tendency to roll in sort of a counter clockwise circle, but when I spin into them I automatically end up going in a clockwise circle, which feels like a totally different balance point because of the direction the wheel is turned. Anyway, still nowhere near consistent with these but here are a couple of my more decent efforts today...


|

4/16/2020 4:51 PM

Way to go Chili!

Great start, you're going to have it dialed before Monday!

|





4/16/2020 4:55 PM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Way to go Chili!

Great start, you're going to have it dialed before Monday!

Thanks! Ha, I don't know about having them dialed that soon, but will definitely keep at them until I do!

|

4/16/2020 6:58 PM

Dude. Those look great.

FIGHT IT.

You're just stepping off for no reason (yea, I know, it feels like you're falling over so you step off.. smile )

But just FIGHT to stay up right. Don't worry about what direction you're rolling.(counter vs clockwise) The goal is to not put a foot down. Eventually you'll be able to steer in any direction.

Try this.

Get in the fork glide position. Foot on the peg. foot on the ground.

Stand up, put your foot on the tire next to the fork so your wheel doesn't roll. bars turned a tad, 20 degrees or something like you'd be if you were rolling in a circle.

Try to balance like that for as long as you can. Keep in mind, you're only like 10 inches off the ground... Just FIGHT to balance on the front wheel while not rolling. if you need to step off, try to step off with your foot peg.

Working on 'weird' balance stuff like this will pay off ten fold.

Yep. By Monday you'll be rolling in CIRCLES!!! smile



|