So, BlackSwampGhost, you doing any flatlandish type tricks yet?

Related:
Create New Tag

4/20/2020 6:01 PM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Is a footjam tailwhip the same thing as a whiplash?

Wayne S wrote:

No, but a lot of people like park riders are calling foot jam tailwhips, whiplashes.

Whiplash is rolling, changing your feet on the front pegs while the whip comes around.

Thanks for explaining and all..

Yeah a whiplash is definitely tougher...

It's like calling a Chevette a Vette lol..

|

4/20/2020 6:24 PM

Fortyseven wrote:

If we had trails around here I'd be interested. Kind of..... But I don't think I'd be brave enough for that much air. It looks like so much fun.

Either way It's probably better for me in general to focus more on balance tricks. I pretty much can do that at home, don't NEED a skatepark and is probably a bit more easier on an older guy then say trying to rail grind an handrail that is 3' tall and slopes 30 degrees like the street guys do. LOL.

Now if I would've started this when I was in my 20's...… whole different story. Oh well. Can't rewind the clock.

I will say this, please invest in some good gel pads, although you won’t be injured as much as you fall, but flatland TOTALLY destroys your feet. Bigger pegs help fix this but those are rarer nowadays.

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

4/20/2020 6:31 PM

My right shin hurts from trying FJ whips and I like it lol!

|

4/20/2020 6:53 PM

Great job Fortyseven, you are literally right there!

All this talk of FJ whips had me trying them again today (pulled a couple last week but hadn't landed one since). Didn't quite get 360 all the way around, and fumbled with the feet on the pedals a bit, lol, but pulled it in and rode off a few times, so not going to complain.

Also took pnj's suggestion and worked on just stepping into the fork glide and trying to stay with it as long as possible. Really started hanging onto them for some considerable time/distance. Made 2.5 wide full circles around the cul de sac at one point, which is about ten times further than I've ever stayed with one before, so was really happy with that. This one wasn't nearly as long but was the only decent one I got on video today.
|

4/20/2020 7:01 PM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Haha, I've been banging up my knees and shins pretty good last few days as well. Finally went ahead and ordered some pads to cut down on the carnage.

|

4/20/2020 7:31 PM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

cchili00 wrote:

Haha, I've been banging up my knees and shins pretty good last few days as well. Finally went ahead and ordered some pads to cut down on the carnage.

Nice job in the vids. Pads also give confidence.

|

4/20/2020 7:43 PM

cchili00 wrote:

All this talk of FJ whips had me trying them again today (pulled a couple last week but hadn't landed one since). Didn't quite get 360 all the way around, and fumbled with the feet on the pedals a bit, lol, but pulled it in and rode off a few times, so not going to complain.

Also took pnj's suggestion and worked on just stepping into the fork glide and trying to stay with it as long as possible. Really started hanging onto them for some considerable time/distance. Made 2.5 wide full circles around the cul de sac at one point, which is about ten times further than I've ever stayed with one before, so was really happy with that. This one wasn't nearly as long but was the only decent one I got on video today.

Damn, you got that FJTW, you own it now! Nice acquisition Chili! Congrats!

Fork gliding away too.. Awesome man!

I noticed my shin was bleeding from using it to push my frame around lol awesome!

I have to catch up to you and 47 on those whips..

Stay on em!

|

4/20/2020 7:52 PM

Wayne S wrote:

No, but a lot of people like park riders are calling foot jam tailwhips, whiplashes.

Whiplash is rolling, changing your feet on the front pegs while the whip comes around.

Awesome tutorial right there^ thanks for posting that!

|

4/20/2020 8:07 PM

so much stoke in this thread!

every little bit of progression builds confidence. which builds progression..

it's a perpetual motion machine. :D

|

4/20/2020 8:08 PM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

cchili00 wrote:

Wayne S wrote:

Nice job in the vids. Pads also give confidence.

Thanks, and yeah more confidence, less bruises. It's a win-win!

|

4/20/2020 8:15 PM

cchili00 wrote:

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Damn, you got that FJTW, you own it now! Nice acquisition Chili! Congrats!

Fork gliding away too.. Awesome man!

I noticed my shin was bleeding from using it to push my frame around lol awesome!

I have to catch up to you and 47 on those whips..

Stay on em!

Thanks, I definitely wouldn't say I own it yet, but each time I land one or get really close, I do find that I'm understanding something new (no matter how small the takeaway) about how to adjust vs my failed attempts. And I think that is the key to progressing. Every attempt, failed or successful, is a learning opportunity.

|

4/20/2020 8:18 PM

pnj wrote:

so much stoke in this thread!

every little bit of progression builds confidence. which builds progression..

it's a perpetual motion machine. :D

It's so true. I didn't mention it, but I also locked in the longest manual I've ever done today. It was like everything was just kind of clicking and one success seemed to build off another.

|

4/21/2020 9:16 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/21/2020 9:19 AM

Yesterday I only had a limited amount of time before I needed to cook dinner and then this guy out walking with his family came and wanted to shoot the bull about bikes. He's got a 10 year old Haro. smile It was a nice chat though. But it gobbled up about 10 minutes of my time. BUT, I did a couple of FJTW's before leaving and got over the bike again. LOL. At least I'm getting over the bike more regularly. LOL. I'm hoping that means one of these days I'll actually land it.

And yeah, BSG, I have other tricks I'm working on too. Mainly right now I've been working on my FJfakies cuz I feel like they are progressing. I'm staying upright more and getting a better lift on the rear tire than ever. So I'm hoping that will help me get into more riding a bit fakie and eventually half cab'ing out or at least learning to turn out. Only thing I've done so far is ride back forward with maybe a tiny bit of a turn. hehehehehe But I get a few feet going from time to time. Would like to extend that.

I have tried both feet for FJ fakies and for some reason my right foot feels better for them. At least at this point. I can go back to my left foot but I was doing both to see and the right feels better. My shins are pretty bruised up too cuz they hit the bars sometimes with the tailwhip.

I also am riding on the pegs more but man do I suck at the fork glide part. Just need more time with it. Last night I was in my living room spinning on the floor, not on the bike, (was raining) on my foot with the other foot out, trying to feel like what side is best and I think I was actually doing it the wrong way that is natural for me. I was riding the pegs on the left side and I think I'm gonna try it on the other side because my right foot down on the ground and left foot up in the air for balance felt better. Plus that side would be more like the way I rode a skateboard. Right foot forward. Which is also how I ride a bike. I was also leaning my bike against the walls in my hallway trying to figure out which way felt better. LOL.

Anyways...

Chilli!!! Looking good Stud!!!!!! Keep it up. Like BSG said, it's inspiring, invigorating. I feel like part of a team right now learning these together. The Three Amigos. LOL. We could start a bike gang. LOL. When I saw you land the FJTW I was like, it's just that easy. LOL. I'm not fretting. I've been working on them for months so a little bit longer to land them is OK. LORD willing.

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun

4/21/2020 10:02 AM

Chilli, would love to see a vid or your manuals.. I love watching people manual.

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun

4/21/2020 11:41 AM

Fortyseven wrote:

Chilli, would love to see a vid or your manuals.. I love watching people manual.

Sure, I'll try to post one up later. I'm far from having them locked in to where I can just go forever, but feel like I'm definitely starting to understand and find the balance point a little bit better. I really need to get over my hatred of looping out, because I feel like it's actually better, from a learning perspective, to loop out vs just setting the front down.

|

4/21/2020 7:52 PM

Well, turns out today was not a very good manual day, lol. For some reason just wasn't able to lock it in very well, this is the best I could muster...(apologies for the vertical video, my wife was filming and I didn't realize she was holding it that way).

|

4/21/2020 8:33 PM

^ Better than I can do at this point in time..

Practice adds up man..👍

|

4/21/2020 8:49 PM

Thanks, the great thing about video too, you can more easily see your mistakes. Very clear to me that my butt isn't really back far enough or low enough over the rear tire.

|

4/21/2020 9:10 PM

cchili00 wrote:

Thanks, the great thing about video too, you can more easily see your mistakes. Very clear to me that my butt isn't really back far enough or low enough over the rear tire.

You seem to film yourself similar to what I do..

Just have it recording in case something cool or stupid happens lol, then you cut that "clip" out.. Also 30 seconds or even 10, uploads really fast too..

|

4/21/2020 9:17 PM

cchili00 wrote:

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

You seem to film yourself similar to what I do..

Just have it recording in case something cool or stupid happens lol, then you cut that "clip" out.. Also 30 seconds or even 10, uploads really fast too..

Yep, pretty much.

|

4/22/2020 8:59 AM

I need to learn how to video edit so I could do that.

It's funny, most of time I see people's butts pretty low when they are manualing. And I know I'm not getting mine low enough. Every once in a while I see a pro do it and be pretty high.... All I know is that I haven't figured them out yet. And I started to spend less time on them. I ordered some elbow pads and probably will wait to really practice them a lot until I get them. But I did start back a little yesterday really trying to get my butt low.

I decided I'm gonna quit trying to take videos of me doing a FJtailwhip until I actually land one. LOL. I keep getting close but no cigar and I'm tired of spending time stopping every time and hitting the button on the phone. hehehehehe. I did try them from the rear peg last night though and I felt like it was maybe a hair easier to get a good swing. But I don't know if I really did much better. Plus one time I almost got over and it was disconcerting that my right pedal was high, when I was used to it being low. I'm not sure which I like better. I get that if it's high and I land on it I might start to pedal forward. But it sort of feels too high. LOL.

I tried fork glides from the other side. I'm not sure if it really makes a difference what side I go from. They're both hard. LOL. I also tried that one trick where you leave one leg on the rear and swing the other leg and do a 360. Well I was just trying to get any amount of spin. I did a little but that also feels very awkward. The stuff from the rear pegs feel especially awkward. Unless it's just standing on them. I was doing that on my ride with my family the other day and trying to lift the front up. Was kind of fun.

I actually took my left side pegs off cuz I wanted to see if the less weight will help my hops and timing. Which I think it did. I think 2 more pegs will go back on eventually but I'm really wanting to buy some super lightweight ones.

|

4/22/2020 9:41 AM

the pegs are in no way stopping you from hopping high. that is all in your head.

if something feels weird or odd. DO IT MORE. i can't stress that enough. stand on your rear pegs until it feels totally normal.. That only comes from repetition.

Remember when you couldn't do a barre chord or some weird 'jazz' chord on your guitar? but now you can because you tried them. over. and. over. and. over..

smile

|

4/22/2020 9:51 AM

Fortyseven wrote:

I need to learn how to video edit so I could do that.

It's funny, most of time I see people's butts pretty low when they are manualing. And I know I'm not getting mine low enough. Every once in a while I see a pro do it and be pretty high.... All I know is that I haven't figured them out yet. And I started to spend less time on them. I ordered some elbow pads and probably will wait to really practice them a lot until I get them. But I did start back a little yesterday really trying to get my butt low.

I decided I'm gonna quit trying to take videos of me doing a FJtailwhip until I actually land one. LOL. I keep getting close but no cigar and I'm tired of spending time stopping every time and hitting the button on the phone. hehehehehe. I did try them from the rear peg last night though and I felt like it was maybe a hair easier to get a good swing. But I don't know if I really did much better. Plus one time I almost got over and it was disconcerting that my right pedal was high, when I was used to it being low. I'm not sure which I like better. I get that if it's high and I land on it I might start to pedal forward. But it sort of feels too high. LOL.

I tried fork glides from the other side. I'm not sure if it really makes a difference what side I go from. They're both hard. LOL. I also tried that one trick where you leave one leg on the rear and swing the other leg and do a 360. Well I was just trying to get any amount of spin. I did a little but that also feels very awkward. The stuff from the rear pegs feel especially awkward. Unless it's just standing on them. I was doing that on my ride with my family the other day and trying to lift the front up. Was kind of fun.

I actually took my left side pegs off cuz I wanted to see if the less weight will help my hops and timing. Which I think it did. I think 2 more pegs will go back on eventually but I'm really wanting to buy some super lightweight ones.

FYI...If you upload to youtube it automatically let's you cut the segment of video you want to post by just sliding a little start/stop bar. Trust me, that's the extent of my video editing skills!

|

4/22/2020 7:49 PM

Worked on stepping into fork glides to start the session and got to where I was able to roll all the way down the cul de sac fairly consistently, so started practicing the entries again. Here's 2 minutes of uncut including the good, the bad, and the ugly...

Worked on manuals a bit as well and locked in a pretty good one (for me), unfortunately my daughter kind of got in the way, but you can still kind of see it...
|

4/22/2020 8:04 PM

pnj wrote:

the pegs are in no way stopping you from hopping high. that is all in your head.

if something feels weird or odd. DO IT MORE. i can't stress that enough. stand on your rear pegs until it feels totally normal.. That only comes from repetition.

Remember when you couldn't do a barre chord or some weird 'jazz' chord on your guitar? but now you can because you tried them. over. and. over. and. over..

smile

I agree, I don’t think the pegs would make any diff.

|

Don’t put 25.4 bars in a 22.2 stem.

4/22/2020 8:37 PM

those are looking real good chill.

|

4/22/2020 8:45 PM

pnj wrote:

those are looking real good chill.

Thanks! Well it ain't exactly pretty yet, but the balance is definitely starting to improve. I was wondering, would increasing my tire pressure make the turn in easier? I'm running at ~65 psi right now, I know a lot of the flatland guys run at 100+. Seems like the tire would maybe grab the asphalt less on the turn at higher psi?

|

4/22/2020 9:23 PM

I like higher PSI for sure. I was always around 80-90.

give it a shot and see how it feels.

|

4/23/2020 9:24 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/23/2020 9:27 AM

Mine are at 70 on the rear and 80 on the front. I was wanting a bit of give on the rear but I think I'll eventually put them both at like 75-85. I gotta recheck them soon.

I hear you about the pegs. I keep debating on ordering some new ones that are a bit lighter. But not sure which ones to get yet. The steel ones are definitely hard on the feet to stand on.... I should've saved my money on the cult butter ones and ordered 4 of the type I've seen that are much lighter. Anyways.... Live and learn.

I think weight always makes a difference, but for sure the more I'd ride it the more I'd get used to it.

Then I figured something out last night after watching some youtube vids (dangerous, LOL). I've been spinning the bike the opposite of way of what should be my natural way. LOL. There were some good tips on there and I also saw them do it how they spin the bike and jump onto the tire and not start with your foot can can. But obviously that is the more advanced version. I remember seeing that a while back and trying it and was like WTHeck? LOL.

Anyways... got some stuff to try out. I was trying it from the pegs a lot more yesterday and it does seem to feel like I get a better swing consistently from that. But like I said, puts my pedals in an awkward position. I pretty much got over kind of sketchy once again but didn't get the pedals. LOL.

I really got work on getting better at fakies. Foot jam fakies and finding a spot to do a curb. I might have to try the tire trick. I'm staring to rotate a bit past 90 degrees when trying to 180. Not much but a hair.

Fork glides are still terrible.

Little by little. I'm getting frustrated with myself but I'm a lot further than what I thought I could do.

The whole thing about muscle memory makes a lot of sense and it's all new to me, so I gotta give myself time. Case in point.... The bike shop I was at yesterday does boards too and I was chatting about it with the dude for my daughter. Well I got on one and did that little trick where the board is on your feet upside down and you jump up and tip it back upside right and get on it. I did that no problem and did a tiny ollie and not even close to falling or losing balance. And I haven't been on a board in over 20 years. Closer to 25. But it felt very very familiar and solid. I mean...… That's just wild.

|

4/23/2020 10:43 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/23/2020 10:44 AM

Raining today and all wet. Boooooo. I keep searching for a place near me that is under a roof and what not but don't know of one yet. My church has a small gymnasium that would work but I have a feeling I'd be spending most of my time cleaning tire marks off the floor.

Wish the Kmart that went out of business would let you ride in it. LOL.

|