So, BlackSwampGhost, you doing any flatlandish type tricks yet?

Related:
Create New Tag

4/23/2020 10:49 AM

average weight of bikes in the mid 90's was in the HIGH 30's.

My bike was 41 pounds at one point. FORTY. ONE. POUNDS.

I was still able to hop onto picnick tables.

As far as 'spinning the wrong way'. that is also in your head. There is no right or wrong way with this stuff. If i could tell you all of the 'rules' that the 'pro' riders that I looked up to in the 80's said, that turned out to simply not be true..

I know it sounds 'hippy dippy' or whatever but a LOT of this is in our heads. Our brain wants to protect us so it invents silly rules.

go out. ride. have fun. try new stuff. get frustrated. smile.

it's a long slow road.

Get a cinder block for a curb. Or a pallet. Pallets are curb endo curbs. manual pads. put it on a brick and it's a bank.. etc

smile

|

4/23/2020 10:55 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/23/2020 10:57 AM

Yeah I was thinking about getting a cinder block. That would work. Haven't really been anywhere that sells them recently though.... And I don't think I want to order one online. LOL

I hear you about the "right" and "wrong" way. I realize that. I might try it the other way to see how it feels though. If it feels better than maybe I can learn it both ways. The one thing is that in theory if I did it he proper way I could keep the pedals in a normal position. I was seeing how if you do it the can can way with your front foot you can cup the pedal with your rear foot while singing and lift up a little and your pedals end up more where they normally are.

Also.... I think I need to practice a Nollie. Not sure how to spell that. It's not something I ever really tried to do but I see people doing it.

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun

4/24/2020 9:00 AM

Yesterday I parked my car over at the local gas station cuz it has a lot of curbs. I was getting my fakie work in and it was productive. I rode away I think twice but none of the were after a super long fakie. I am getting better at getting some distance though. Just have to learn how to turn and ride out at the right time without having to put my foot down. If I go to the skatepark today I might try them on a ramp again.

I also landed over the bike again on a tailwhip. I tried it the "right" way and ugh, it felt awful. LOL. I'm back to doing it from the pedals, the way I've been doing it and I like it that way. The right pedal is in a good spot. I landed my right foot on it yesterday but lost my balance and the left foot went down on the pavement. Grrrrrrr…..

In the 80's I was a lot stronger and might not have cared how heavy a bike was. But it's not the 80's, I'm old and the lighter the better. smile

I was also trying to balance in my living room last night in a fork glide position, just static. I'm hoping that doing that will build up some muscle memory. When doing it static like that, grabbing the seat does help. LOL.

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun

4/24/2020 8:17 PM

Nice work Fortyseven! Keep after it, sounds like you are so close to getting that FJ tailwhip nailed!! And I'm with you on the fakies, have been struggling with those. They also put a lot of pressure on my wrist trying to turn out of them so taking a break from them for a little bit while my wrist hopefully heals up.

Speaking of fork glides, I can't believe I finally pulled one start to finish! Wasn't even going to ride this evening because my fingers and wrist are killing me, but had a couple beers and decided to just go out and work on the entries. Well something clicked and I started getting them like 4 out of every 5 tries and was maintaining my balance into and through the glide really well. So decided what the heck, I'm gonna start trying to work on the exit. After figuring out the weight distribution with leaning the bike away, I pulled into one super cleanly, scuffed the tire a couple times, leaned the bike slightly away, switched my feet and got the back peg, switched grip on the bars, stepped on the pedal and rode away! Even bar spun on the ride out to get the bars back to normal!! Felt so legit! Tried again for the next 15 minutes and didn't really even come close again, lol.

|

4/24/2020 9:28 PM

"Tried again for the next 15 minutes and didn't really even come close again, lol."

YEP.

haha. but it's pulling that ONE perfectly that gets you stoked to just keep trying and trying and trying.

So... we said you'd have it by Monday. You made it by Friday which isn't that far away from monday so a GOOD JOB (and we told you so) goes out to you man.

|

4/24/2020 9:45 PM

Chili, congrats on your first in and out fork glide! Way to go man, hopefully I'm not too far behind you..

Weather is looking shitty for the rest of the weekend around here unfortunately..

|

4/24/2020 9:48 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/24/2020 9:50 PM

|

4/24/2020 9:50 PM

pnj wrote:

"Tried again for the next 15 minutes and didn't really even come close again, lol."

YEP.

haha. but it's pulling that ONE perfectly that gets you stoked to just keep trying and trying and trying.

So... we said you'd have it by Monday. You made it by Friday which isn't that far away from monday so a GOOD JOB (and we told you so) goes out to you man.

So true, can't wait to get out there and keep trying again tomorrow. And thanks, appreciate the encouragement!

|

4/24/2020 9:53 PM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Chili, congrats on your first in and out fork glide! Way to go man, hopefully I'm not too far behind you..

Weather is looking shitty for the rest of the weekend around here unfortunately..

Thanks!! You'll get them, no doubt. Sucks about the weather, supposed to be in the 80s here.

|

4/24/2020 9:58 PM

cchili00 wrote:

Thanks!! You'll get them, no doubt. Sucks about the weather, supposed to be in the 80s here.

Michigan is some krazy weather.. We just had snow two days ago..

|

4/25/2020 8:52 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/25/2020 8:53 AM

Chilli: WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Great job man!!! I didn't even know you were working at getting back on the bike... That is freaking sweet.

I had a good day at the skatepark but still didn't ride away (FJTW). But I was over the frame several times. Had my right foot on the pedal twice. Much better than the day before at the gas station. There is something about super smooth and flat spaces that helps. The gas station I was at is kind of old and a lot of cracks and not all that level. It's the same with the road by me. So I guess I'm getting picky about where I ride. LOL. My driveway is nice and flat and concrete but it's not nearly big enough....

You gave me an idea chili. Last couple days around here it's rained. But then when I ride the roads start to dry up and I go. But then for some reason the parking lot in the park takes longer than the roads to dry up. So it's been wet when I get there. Then I remembered there is an open cul de sac, like the one by your house, real close to me. So one day I rode over there. It was a good spot!!!! I don't know if I would've thought of it if I didn't see your vids. LOL.

I feel like I need a new easy trick to work on. Help boost some confidence and excitement.

At the park yesterday I tried to grind once and I did for a few inches, just the front peg. But I have no clue how to really approach a grind. I've never hopped to the side... or do you just go on a slight angle towards it. I know people know how to hop and basically move to one side but I have no clue how to do that. LOL.

I think one trick that Mishinn showed me that might be a good one to work on is trying to spin the rear further than I can. Like he can do it 180. Sort of like a nose manual but just rotating on the front tire. Although he has a front brake. LOL.

Yeah, the weather here is up and down and all around. Still cold too. Raining, not raining. It's kind of normal for Wisconsin but a little bit colder than normal for this time. But April is usually one of those months where you don't know what you're gonna get.

|

4/25/2020 10:24 AM

Fortyseven wrote:

Chilli: WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Great job man!!! I didn't even know you were working at getting back on the bike... That is freaking sweet.

I had a good day at the skatepark but still didn't ride away (FJTW). But I was over the frame several times. Had my right foot on the pedal twice. Much better than the day before at the gas station. There is something about super smooth and flat spaces that helps. The gas station I was at is kind of old and a lot of cracks and not all that level. It's the same with the road by me. So I guess I'm getting picky about where I ride. LOL. My driveway is nice and flat and concrete but it's not nearly big enough....

You gave me an idea chili. Last couple days around here it's rained. But then when I ride the roads start to dry up and I go. But then for some reason the parking lot in the park takes longer than the roads to dry up. So it's been wet when I get there. Then I remembered there is an open cul de sac, like the one by your house, real close to me. So one day I rode over there. It was a good spot!!!! I don't know if I would've thought of it if I didn't see your vids. LOL.

I feel like I need a new easy trick to work on. Help boost some confidence and excitement.

At the park yesterday I tried to grind once and I did for a few inches, just the front peg. But I have no clue how to really approach a grind. I've never hopped to the side... or do you just go on a slight angle towards it. I know people know how to hop and basically move to one side but I have no clue how to do that. LOL.

I think one trick that Mishinn showed me that might be a good one to work on is trying to spin the rear further than I can. Like he can do it 180. Sort of like a nose manual but just rotating on the front tire. Although he has a front brake. LOL.

Yeah, the weather here is up and down and all around. Still cold too. Raining, not raining. It's kind of normal for Wisconsin but a little bit colder than normal for this time. But April is usually one of those months where you don't know what you're gonna get.

Honestly, I hadn't really been working to get back on the bike. I had tried it a couple times just to get an idea of what it would be like, but figured there was no point working on that part of the trick until I could consistently do the turn in and maintain balance sufficiently to get myself in the proper position to get back on. Yesterday I kind of "figured out" the turn and was keeping good balance after, so decided to at least try the exit, and got lucky on one.

Keep trying those FJTWs, you've got this! And yes, the cul de sac is really nice for riding except that it kind of slopes down a little from the middle, but it's not too noticeable.

|

4/25/2020 11:35 AM

"I feel like I need a new easy trick to work on. Help boost some confidence and excitement. "

One thing you can work on, although not really a trick so much. That thing you called "a tail slide"..

Whether you ride brakes or not, being able to stop, or change direction at higher speeds can literally save your life.

Really it's a fundamental thing that should be learned before tricks, in my opinion anyway..

You can start off by planting your forward foot until you get a better feel for it.

|

4/25/2020 12:33 PM

Trying to think of simpler tricks...

frame stand ?
jump or step onto the frame, ride a bit and jump back to the pedals? this will really help with many tricks but tailwhips for sure. being able to spot the pedal and knowing that your feet can easily get back to them at will.

frame stand infinity rolls?
stand on frame near the seat tube and use your free foot to roll the rear tire backwards.

peg wheelies ?
I'm guessing you're working with these already?

spinning peg wheelies?
foot on rear peg, start turning a tight ish circle. Pull bars up and whip your free leg behind you to help with the spin.

rear wheel hops?
really helps to have brakes for this one..
stand on rear pegs or pedals. lift front tire and hop hop hop...

sit backwards on your bars and ride backwards?
then try to figure out how to switch your body back to normal riding.

lawnmower?
helps to have brakes but fully possible without brakes.

no handed or one handed endos?
foot jam style these are actually really easy. do your endo and put your knee/shin on the bars to help hold your endo. take hands off. I bet you could learn this in a week.. start with one hand of course.

do that thing where you balance the bike with your feet on the front tire. bars are at 90 degrees.
Sit down, roll really slow. quick turn bars. quick jam both feet on either side of the tire. look real cool as you balance. quickly turn bars normal as you jam your feet back to the pedals and ride away.

take the spare tire out of your car and use it as a curb for more curb endo practice. put a board on that tire and launch it.

lol.

the thing is, anything you're doing to help build balance and confidence with help with future tricks.

I'd suggest putting brakes on if you don't have them. You can always take them off after you gain a few more skills.

|

4/25/2020 2:11 PM

Seriously, if you're looking for new things to learn as a beginner, put some brakes on. I feel like new riders go brakeless too often because they're afraid to look like newbies. Then they get frustrated and quit because a g-turn is infinitely harder than an endo-180.

I've been snarked at in the parks when I roll in with brakes. Usually by some kid that introduces himself by pointing out the manufacturer of every part on his 'custom bike' that's really just a complete with new grips. People are judgmental and tribal. Who cares what they think. Don't worry about it, put some brakes on and have some fun.

|

Remember when you could ride all day and not be sore for a week?
Instagram: @theothermaj

4/25/2020 2:50 PM

100% this ^^^^

and once you get that front wheel 180 down with brakes.. you'll be doing them without brakes soon enough.

we used to call it a Rock Walk..

|

4/25/2020 2:55 PM

pnj wrote:

100% this ^^^^

and once you get that front wheel 180 down with brakes.. you'll be doing them without brakes soon enough.

we used to call it a Rock Walk..

I used to be able to do that with front brakes, but back then, it was Tuff Wheels or Peregrine mags. I'm thinking if I tried it now I'd f-up my rims/spokes pretty easy?

|

4/25/2020 6:27 PM

it's all about the front wheel pivot. You have to make sure that your weight is REALLY on the front wheel so you get a full, clean 180. This way your rear tire/wheel isn't landing at such an angle..

|

4/25/2020 8:48 PM

pnj wrote:

it's all about the front wheel pivot. You have to make sure that your weight is REALLY on the front wheel so you get a full, clean 180. This way your rear tire/wheel isn't landing at such an angle..

What would you say the difficulty level is on the front wheel 180? I watched a couple videos on it and it doesn't "look" all that difficult. But I learned my lesson with the fork glide that looks can be deceiving, so not making that assumption again. But was thinking it might be a good trick to start working on, they look like a lot of fun.

|

4/25/2020 10:43 PM

A little piece of nostalgia I found sitting around my garage today, maybe it'll serve a purpose again in the future?? Have to find another adjustment screw before that happens..

Photo

|

4/25/2020 10:54 PM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

A little piece of nostalgia I found sitting around my garage today, maybe it'll serve a purpose again in the future?? Have to find another adjustment screw before that happens..

Photo

Ha, most kids these days probably wouldn't even be able to identify that part.

|

4/25/2020 10:56 PM

Which reminds me, I have a really dumb question...can you simply swap the rear brake to the front? Or is it not that simple?

|

4/25/2020 11:10 PM

cchili00 wrote:

Which reminds me, I have a really dumb question...can you simply swap the rear brake to the front? Or is it not that simple?

Well obviously to start with, most forks these days are not equipped with mounts for brakes. But other than that, I don't have a good answer. If I ever decide to get front brakes, I'll probably try the Odyssey F-15 or F-0 forks.. Right now my forks are 26 offset..

|

4/26/2020 8:56 AM

you can for sure run most 990 style brake on the front or rear. Some brands make it 'maybe' a little easier but I'm pretty sure that every brand on the market will work for front or rear (I just looked at flatland fuel.. they all seem fine)

As far as front wheel 180's. I want to say it's an easy trick. but I was seriously like 12 years old when I learned it and time fades pain and heartache so.. I maybe don't remember the pain of learning it. haha

Just found this great tutorial on the rock walk. Notice that he ISN"T using brakes. but he IS leaning pretty far over his front wheel. that is the trick. If you can lean so far forward that you go over the bars (the front wheel just rolls out from under you ), then you can very easily do this trick.

he doesn't use front brakes which is key to smooth ones but he DOES have brakes on his bike. smile

|

4/26/2020 9:54 AM

pnj wrote:

you can for sure run most 990 style brake on the front or rear. Some brands make it 'maybe' a little easier but I'm pretty sure that every brand on the market will work for front or rear (I just looked at flatland fuel.. they all seem fine)

As far as front wheel 180's. I want to say it's an easy trick. but I was seriously like 12 years old when I learned it and time fades pain and heartache so.. I maybe don't remember the pain of learning it. haha

Just found this great tutorial on the rock walk. Notice that he ISN"T using brakes. but he IS leaning pretty far over his front wheel. that is the trick. If you can lean so far forward that you go over the bars (the front wheel just rolls out from under you ), then you can very easily do this trick.

he doesn't use front brakes which is key to smooth ones but he DOES have brakes on his bike. smile

Thanks pnj! I envy your starting this at such a young age 😁

|

4/26/2020 1:27 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/26/2020 1:28 PM

Thanks for the suggestions on the tricks pnj. I do already stand on my frame quite a bit. So I got that down. I don't have enough balls to put my forward foot on the crossmember of my bars and ride without hands yet. I'm not sure I'll ever go that far... But I'm very comfy on the frame and even do a little on the stem. But have my hands on the bars. I think I've done 1 handed....

I started following this dude in Hawaii called lindseybmx and I've seen him do tailwhips with his foot on the stem. I was like waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa? He's got a very interesting styles. His bars are really tall too.

I will start looking into doing some of those other tricks.

That's a good point BSG. About stopping. I've tried to a slide on like pavement but no dice without some gravel or sand on it. Your tar finish might be helping you a little but you might know how to do it on any surface. I find the tire overly grippy on concrete or pavement that I can't even get a slide going yet. I haven't tried it with my feet down.

I still have to work on very basic stuff to get it down. Like riding fakie, Hop 180's. And I just hops in general. Plus so much more.

I'm kind of at a point where I'm getting frustrated with my progress. But most of it is just mental. I watch everyone else and see how good they are and it all LOOKS so easy. As Chilli pointed out. Stuff looks like, oh yeah, I'll just work on that and no probs. But really, most tricks are just hard. And if it was easy everyone would be doing it. LOL. Plus I might be a little slower at learning than most for either talent, or the fact that I can't go as long as when I was a young man. And my sessions are short.

So I gotta focus on the joy I've gotten with what I've learned so far and be patient with myself.

Brakes. I certainly did not decide to ride them because I'm worried about what someone would say. I'm too old for that and don't ride enough with anyone that it would really matter. I got ride of mine for a few reasons. First, my brain does well with simple. I like things clean and simple. The simpler the better. KISS. Secondly, weight. I know everyone's bikes used to weigh as much as riding lawn mowers back in the day but we're all different. Weight is weight. Obviously I'm not the only person that rides that thinks it's a good idea to keep their bike as light as possible. I'm still building up stamina, upper body strength and what not from having lyme disease. Just let this sink in for minute.

At my first doctor appointment when I started having problems, they weighed me at 178 pounds (around 2007). In 2013 ish I was down to 114 pounds. Let that sink in for a minute and do the math on that. Yeah, that's 1/3 of my total weight gone. Before I had problems I'd walk nearly every day with one of the kids on my back, do push ups and did curls with 35 pound dumbells. Fatigue has been one of my biggest symptoms with lyme and I lost energy and muscle mass in heaps. So you all can preach to me that weight doesn't matter. But to me it does. I can feel it in the bike. And I know I'm not alone.

That being said, I'm debeating on putting brakes on. It's hard to decide if I should do one or the other or both. I have a rear brake now and have thought about putting it back on forthwith. But I really think a gyro is probably a good idea. Although I could just undo whatever I do with barspins. I guess that would force you to do a spin every time. LOL. It's nice doing tailwhips one after the other in a row and not having to undo a cable though.

I think my next thing might be to learn this endo everyone keeps talking about. I think I know what it is but I'm gonna look it up. I'm getting better and having more balance on my front wheel when I do footjam fakies and I think it might be a natural transition. Anyone got any tips on how you hop to a parallel spot? Like your're going straight, and hop over to your right or left but basically the same direction. Do you just lean into a hop? Learn first? Trying to wrap my head around that one. LOL.

|

4/26/2020 3:50 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/26/2020 3:51 PM

I hear ya on the weight thing. Just trying to encourage ya man. smile

get a fork with front brake mounts, and some brakes. This will open up so many things for you.

if your fork has a hole from the front to the back of the steer tube , near the tire (where you wanted to shove a bar end into) you could get some side pull brakes. Or drill your own hole if you're handy with a drill. Not sure what you would need to do for the top cap to allow the cable to run through it.

Just some suggestions.

as far as hopping sideways, get a stick or a hose or a 2 x 4 and lay it on the ground. ride next to it and try hopping over it. The best way to improve hopping is by having something to hop over..

|

4/27/2020 9:09 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/27/2020 9:11 AM

Do you lean when you do the hop over?

I do have a hole in my forks. Also Mishinn says he has a set of forks he could sell me that has mounts plus a set of brakes for it. Or I can use the ones that came on my bike. I'm actually not sure which it was. Plus he also has a set of brakes that would fit in the hole. I'm still undecided of what to do about brakes. Part of me just wants to have one but can't decide on which would be better. LOL. For some reason the thought of both front and rear makes me go: eeewwww. It's just all those cables and dealing with it and should I use a gyro for the rear, etc etc etc.

I didn't realize endos were a complete trick. I just viewed them as a way to get into riding fakie. But now that I realize that it's a complete trick I'm gonna start working on them more. I think getting them more under control might help to learn how to roll into a fakie. Which I also started to do but I figured I'd try to get the endos down better too. Which then if I had a front brake I could do them with the brake. But I started doing them BSG style on my car tire yesterday and last week on the curbs at the gas station. Which was probably the best spot for that other than the sketchy pavement.

I only have right side pegs on now. Gasp.... LOL. But I've still been trying to do balance stuff on those a little bit.

|

4/28/2020 5:29 PM

Alright fuckers, getting serious lol..

I can fork glide at least 20ft so far, no ride in or out, but I couldn't do 3ft yesterday..

I just kept starting at the top of my driveway, over and over and over AF... Slightly downhill, I didn't have to scuff..

Something clicked finally and I can balance it for a while.. My right foot is all over the place for balance.. I noticed that if I started with my forward (balance/scuffing) foot , closer to the tire it bought me some time, at the end my right foot is usually far away lol..

But I did it, needs work, but kinda stoked to know I can do it..

No video because my phone is an #??hole..

|

4/28/2020 5:35 PM

Oh and right when I really started getting it, started raining hard..

|