So, BlackSwampGhost, you doing any flatlandish type tricks yet?

Related:
Create New Tag

4/28/2020 5:47 PM

"That's a good point BSG. About stopping. I've tried to a slide on like pavement but no dice without some gravel or sand on it. Your tar finish might be helping you a little but you might know how to do it on any surface. I find the tire overly grippy on concrete or pavement that I can't even get a slide going yet. I haven't tried it with my feet down. "

Use one foot to balance and lean on (back brakes help here).. I can't put my foot down without loosing my braking because I don't have brakes.

Speed dictates what you can, or try, to slide on.. On cement you have to be moving pretty good.. I wouldn't do it on gravel or dirt as fast as cement..

|





4/28/2020 8:22 PM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Alright fuckers, getting serious lol..

I can fork glide at least 20ft so far, no ride in or out, but I couldn't do 3ft yesterday..

I just kept starting at the top of my driveway, over and over and over AF... Slightly downhill, I didn't have to scuff..

Something clicked finally and I can balance it for a while.. My right foot is all over the place for balance.. I noticed that if I started with my forward (balance/scuffing) foot , closer to the tire it bought me some time, at the end my right foot is usually far away lol..

But I did it, needs work, but kinda stoked to know I can do it..

No video because my phone is an #??hole..

Nice BSG!! That's awesome! You'll be riding in and out in no time.

I'm still working on the ride out myself, only able to pull off one or two per session, but getting into them cleanly more consistently. Keep getting my foot jammed in between the spokes on the ride out, which hurts like a mofo, but making progress slowly but surely.

Cheers!

|

4/28/2020 8:37 PM

Those poor spokes. LOL.

Great job BSG!!!!! That is freaking great. I'm sort of regressing. I went back to working on just endos a lot. Footjam endos. And then I figured out that it I turn my wheel to the right after doing one I can sort of ride out easier. Like it buys me some balance. Instead of just keeping my wheels straight and falling over to one side or the other. I did plenty of that but the turning of the front wheel right away after the rear tire comes down seemed to help at times.

I'm still working on the tailwhips but no dice. It's a lot harder at my house cuz the pavement is so much worse. And the last two times I rode were at night too. I seem to do better during the day. LOL.

No riding today, super wet. IIt was dry earlier in the day but I had too much going on to ride then. I have a feeling we might be on a few day lockdown from rain. Grrrrrrrr… My muscles can probably use the rest. It's not going to stop me from my 2 mile ride though. I'm just gonna get wet. I hear a break in the rain now so, I'm going.

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun

4/28/2020 8:40 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/28/2020 8:41 PM

cchili00 wrote:

Nice BSG!! That's awesome! You'll be riding in and out in no time.

I'm still working on the ride out myself, only able to pull off one or two per session, but getting into them cleanly more consistently. Keep getting my foot jammed in between the spokes on the ride out, which hurts like a mofo, but making progress slowly but surely.

Cheers!

Thanks man, lol, yeah I got my foot in plenty of spokes today myself... Once I figured out how to balance it, it was extremely addictive to keep trying.. That's awesome you've been able to ride out a couple already!

|





4/29/2020 8:55 AM

Sounds like you've got your left foot on the peg eh? Are you right foot or left foot forward?

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun

4/29/2020 9:04 AM

Fortyseven wrote:

Sounds like you've got your left foot on the peg eh? Are you right foot or left foot forward?

Me? I'm right foot forward, which is the foot I use for footjams, and scuffing.

|





4/29/2020 9:10 AM

Yeah that makes sense.

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun

4/30/2020 7:58 PM

Finally starting to get these fork glides dialed!



Also starting to lock in some pretty decent manuals a couple times per session. Nothing near consistent, but the good ones are getting more frequent.
|

4/30/2020 8:13 PM

Landed! Awesome Chili!

|





4/30/2020 8:38 PM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Landed! Awesome Chili!

Thanks! Started getting them pretty good towards the end of yesterday's session, and today they were really clicking. Just had to build the confidence to really stomp my feet on the pegs during the exit, and it all sort of fell into place from there.

|

4/30/2020 9:24 PM

DUDE! so sick.

what's next?

|

4/30/2020 9:26 PM

pnj wrote:

DUDE! so sick.

what's next?

Good question, was thinking to start working on peg wheelies. Any other suggestions for a good next trick?

|

5/1/2020 9:02 AM

peg wheelies for sure

backwards infinity rolls is a good trick. it will lead to backwards peg wheelies.

those three tricks all work well together.

|

5/1/2020 9:08 AM

Oh man you're starting to look like freaking pro!!!! That was awesome.

I wonder how hard a whiplash would be. Well that's I think up there with the difficulty. That one BSG was doing before is cool. Where you scuff the back tire and go backwards. But back peg manuals would be cool too. You could then go into pogoing....



I had my own little victory last night. I got over the bike on the sketchy pavement on the road in front of me doing a FJTW. When I ride real late I go on the road cuz of the street light. There's not enough light on my driveway. I landed on the seat with my butt and squished my nads a little. LOL. Ugh. I also got over the bike once doing the whip from the peg. I think I like that way better. I feel like I can get a better swing to the frame at different speeds. On the pedals I feel like I have to work harder to get a good swing and be more consistent with speed. I think I figured out if I do it from the peg I can actually adjust the crank to a normal position when transferring my left leg over possibly. I didn't try that theory yet though.

I also worked on fork glides a little. I almost got around again. So that was kind of fun. The scuffing and staying up is really difficult though. But I'm gonna start working on that more I think. It's so cool you got it down Chilli!!!!!! Looks really good.

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun

5/1/2020 11:24 AM

pnj wrote:

peg wheelies for sure

backwards infinity rolls is a good trick. it will lead to backwards peg wheelies.

those three tricks all work well together.

Ok, cool I did try a couple of backwards infinity rolls the other day, so will start working on those more along with the peg wheelies. Was looking at whiplashes and steamrollers too, although those seem to be a slightly higher difficulty level.

|

5/1/2020 11:38 AM

So my fork glides are getting better, although no ride in/out.. I'm trying to figure out steering the fork glide further than 40ft.. Seems every time I reach that point I foot down. I thought about learning them on a slight hill.. I need to figure out which way I can turn better and ride in a circle too..

Chili be killin it yo..

|





5/1/2020 11:58 AM

For flatland in general, how much reach is best on a stem?

|





5/1/2020 12:24 PM

Fortyseven wrote:

Oh man you're starting to look like freaking pro!!!! That was awesome.

I wonder how hard a whiplash would be. Well that's I think up there with the difficulty. That one BSG was doing before is cool. Where you scuff the back tire and go backwards. But back peg manuals would be cool too. You could then go into pogoing....



I had my own little victory last night. I got over the bike on the sketchy pavement on the road in front of me doing a FJTW. When I ride real late I go on the road cuz of the street light. There's not enough light on my driveway. I landed on the seat with my butt and squished my nads a little. LOL. Ugh. I also got over the bike once doing the whip from the peg. I think I like that way better. I feel like I can get a better swing to the frame at different speeds. On the pedals I feel like I have to work harder to get a good swing and be more consistent with speed. I think I figured out if I do it from the peg I can actually adjust the crank to a normal position when transferring my left leg over possibly. I didn't try that theory yet though.

I also worked on fork glides a little. I almost got around again. So that was kind of fun. The scuffing and staying up is really difficult though. But I'm gonna start working on that more I think. It's so cool you got it down Chilli!!!!!! Looks really good.

Thanks! I don't know about pro, haha, I'd say they're still lacking a little style and fluidity, but I'm just stoked to be getting them pulled at all at this point.

The backwards scuffing one is the infinity roll, going to start practicing that one.

Nice, keep working on those FJTWs, you're going to land one real soon. I can feel it!

|

5/1/2020 12:32 PM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

So my fork glides are getting better, although no ride in/out.. I'm trying to figure out steering the fork glide further than 40ft.. Seems every time I reach that point I foot down. I thought about learning them on a slight hill.. I need to figure out which way I can turn better and ride in a circle too..

Chili be killin it yo..

40ft, that's awesome!! When I was stepping into them I found I had a natural tendency to circle counter-clockwise (left foot on front peg), but obviously once you start turning into them the circle naturally goes in a clockwise direction. That change took a little getting used to, but you quickly adjust to it. Even now if I step into it my tendency is to go counter clockwise, but I have a little more control now to where I can change the direction.

But I'd say if you've got them down up to 40ft it's time to start working on the ride in!

|

5/1/2020 12:38 PM

steam rollers are a great trick to start working on too and lead to whiplashes. You can set your bike / body up in the steam roller position and start trying to push off / coast them. Peg wheelies will help with that balance too.

Backwards infinity rolls / wheelies are easier to get into if you do an endo first. a curb or something works. You can foot jam an endo but this puts your scuff foot WAY far forward and can make it tough to get it back to the rear wheel to scuff. either way having backwards momentum helps a lot.

BSG - Many folks like shorter stems for flatland. Some 'weirdo's' even run zero offset forks / stems. I was never a fan of those.

Fortyseven, post some clips of your tailwhips. getting the frame to swing is mostly in your arms. once you kick the frame, swing your arms / hands in a circle motion. the frame will follow. and then LOOK for that forward pedal and stomp on it. smile

|

5/1/2020 12:46 PM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

For flatland in general, how much reach is best on a stem?

I think flatlanders prefer a shorter offset, so balance feels similar no matter which way things are facing. I run a 42mm Madera, kinda wish I had gone with a slightly shorter one.

|

Remember when you could ride all day and not be sore for a week?
Instagram: @theothermaj

5/1/2020 8:12 PM

Only had time for a quick session today, but am digging the peg wheelies. Worked on them for about 30 min and definitely feels like an easier balance point to find and hold than a regular manual. Offsetting the balance from the foot on the peg takes a little while to get the hang of, but I found if I made a slight carve to the right durng the wheelie it really helped to maintain the balance.

|

5/1/2020 8:18 PM

Are peg wheelies the same as rocket manuals?

|





5/1/2020 8:37 PM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Are peg wheelies the same as rocket manuals?

Yes, same thing.

|

5/1/2020 9:01 PM

yea.... but..

I consider a rocket manual with both feet on the pegs.


I think you're going to find that most tricks are easier if you carve or lean the bike a bit. It kind of gives you something to push against if that makes sense.

And for peg wheelies, once you start carving them tighter, you can put your back foot on the rear tire, and the bike will pivot and you'll get backwards momentum. Scuff the rear tire and tada, you're doing a backwards peg wheelie..

|

5/1/2020 9:10 PM

pnj wrote:

yea.... but..

I consider a rocket manual with both feet on the pegs.


I think you're going to find that most tricks are easier if you carve or lean the bike a bit. It kind of gives you something to push against if that makes sense.

And for peg wheelies, once you start carving them tighter, you can put your back foot on the rear tire, and the bike will pivot and you'll get backwards momentum. Scuff the rear tire and tada, you're doing a backwards peg wheelie..

Ahh, ok, I've seen them called rocket manuals, peg wheelies, dork wheelies. Thought they were all the same thing.

And yeah, what you're saying about something to push against makes sense.

Backwards peg wheelies...In due time, in due time.

|

5/1/2020 9:47 PM

backwards infinity rolls lead directly into backwards peg wheelies.... it's like the same trick only you're on one wheel instead of two.. wink

funny, i originally typed out 'dork wheelie' but changed my wording. haha..

|

5/2/2020 8:33 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/2/2020 8:34 AM

pnj, you gotta get on Instagram if you wanna see me now. For some reason when we send videos to email now they turn into this super crappy quality. I'm not sure what gives....

I'm definitely not using my arms though. LOL. At least not consciously. Sure, just add another layer of difficulty. LOL.

I've been doing them from the peg more and I get a better consistent swing. But I've been doing it both ways. One thing I figured out is when I do it from the peg I can set up the pedals how I want the with my left foot before using it to footjam.

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun

5/2/2020 11:06 AM

47, you should try setting up on YouTube.. You can edit your clip from your phone, then upload straight from your phone.. I've never looked at this site or used a computer for non work stuff in years..

I don't want or have any My Books, Space Face, or Instant Grams although that sounds like a good breakfast...

|





5/2/2020 8:28 PM

So today, practicing fork glides..

I unlocked a cheat code..

I found out if I look down and focus on my front tire, I can go for 60ft or more if I had room.. Getting better at steering it to by watching my tire. Sounds crazy but it made all the difference..👍

|