So, BlackSwampGhost, you doing any flatlandish type tricks yet?

Related:
Create New Tag

5/2/2020 8:44 PM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

So today, practicing fork glides..

I unlocked a cheat code..

I found out if I look down and focus on my front tire, I can go for 60ft or more if I had room.. Getting better at steering it to by watching my tire. Sounds crazy but it made all the difference..๐Ÿ‘

Awesome work BSG! I feel like that's the key to almost every trick, finding that cheat code. And it can be different for different people, but it's figuring out that one thing that you focus on or think about doing a certain way that makes the trick work for you.

Time to start working on those entries!!

|

5/2/2020 8:49 PM

Right the entry.. I've been trying those somewhat, but haven't come close..

I've actually become better at fork glides than fakie.. I don't know what that means if anything. Although I still want to be better at fakie too..

|

5/2/2020 9:02 PM

Yeah I can't fakie very far at all. To be fair I haven't spent much time on them since the first week getting the bike really, so yeah, can definitely fork glide way better than I can fakie.

I did start practicing stepping into backwards steamrollers today...only got as far as maybe 6-8 feet balancing with the back wheel lifted off the ground. I can tell these are going to take a bit more time and effort to learn, but I actually really enjoyed practicing them along with the peg wheelies.

|

5/2/2020 9:17 PM

Yeah, steamroller is next for you.. Nice work man..

|

5/2/2020 10:10 PM

Stole my bike back, and you can hear frogs singing in the background as I fork glide.. I can go the whole driveway now..

|

5/3/2020 1:57 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/3/2020 1:58 PM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Right the entry.. I've been trying those somewhat, but haven't come close..

I've actually become better at fork glides than fakie.. I don't know what that means if anything. Although I still want to be better at fakie too..

It means you are more awesomer than Bo and Luke Duke put together!!! Throwing Daisy in there would be pushing it. But definitely those two yokels. Dodge guys....pfffffft. smile Just kidding about the Dodge thing. I figured maybe I can get away with that with either a Toyota or Pontiac station wagon you got. At least I think that's what it is... Now I'm not sure looking at it again.

Thanks for the cheat code. I will try it. If I get 6" I'm doing good for fork glides. But I also was like that for fakies. Although I'm also not much better at those but every once in a while can get one about 6' and turn out. I'm getting better at learning how to turn out.

Still no landing of fjtw. But it's getting there more consistent. Last night I did better doing it from the pedals. But I did it both ways. I got over the bike twice. LOL. Hopefully I'll get one before I die or die trying.

And chili, any kind of trick where you get the bike off the ground from the front is like wow. Awesome man. I tried to get myself in the position of a hang 5 two nights ago and I was like, what the.... How do they even do that. LOL. Not much time spent on that. But I follow this gal on cheeriosgrams, I mean raisinbrangrams, I mean Instagram called PaulaTrix and saw her doing a whiplash and thought, cool. But dang..... that's control.

BSG, it's a good idea to do utube. I didn't know you could do it from your phone. There are a lot of bmxers on Instagram though. I like it pretty good. It's kind of nice that every vid is less than a minute. Sort of a good thing to scroll through when you're killing time waiting on something. A lot of youtubers sort of bug me. And I don't get that with most Instagram posts. I mean most people on youtube are there cuz they like the sound of their voice and how they look. I like some but..... That being said, it's better for posting longer vids and the upside is you can watch it on the TV. In fact, I should look yours up on my TV...!!!! Yours too Chilli.

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun

5/3/2020 3:06 PM

what's your insta fourtyseven? I need to see these tailwhips.

if the frame is swinging around, and you can get a foot on the top tube, YOU HAVE IT. fight that thing. grab the frame with your foot. push the foot down so the rear wheel hits the ground and hop your body over the bike. foot onto pedal. tada. you did it.

if the frame isn't swinging, cabbage patch with your arms. it's some 90's dance.. look it up. seriously. move your arms/ hands (really it's your hands cause they're holding the grips) in a circular motion. counter clockwise circle motion.

|

5/3/2020 5:42 PM

Had my crew over for the weekend and some great weather.. Figured out scuffing on the fork glide too although no video of that yet..

|

5/3/2020 6:05 PM

You guys are getting good!

Makes me want one peg for my front left haha.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

5/3/2020 6:27 PM

BSG - more speed going backwards helps a lot with fakies. ride up that ramp and use the speed from that.

those fork glides are looking great. start wroking on the fire hydrant into it. remember to focus your weight on your peg, not the bars.

smile

|

5/4/2020 9:56 AM

OH WOW BSG, that was quite a long ride!!! I tried your cheat code and I think it helped me stay up a bit more last night. I was like, ooooh, he was right. I almost got the entry perfect once too. But kind of fell right away. But I was all the way around and was upright for a moment.

PNJ, I think what's happening is I swing the bike so many times without getting over that when I do, I'm not expecting it or don't know how to get my feet on the pedals yet. It's like there's not enough time. I'm sooooooo close. Each session I get over the bike once or twice. Did it again last night. I was trying to work on swinging my body more. When Ready does them, his bike doesn't even always go 180. But he somehow gets his body over to the bike. It's kind of like the entry to a fork glide. So I was working a bit more on that last night. But in the end it works best for me when I get a good swing going. If I get it 270 then I usually get over. Just not on the pedals yet. LOL. I do work on on my mental expetations saying expect to get over and look for the pedals. LOL. I'll get it one of these days. Hopefully before I die.

I practiced switching feet on the front peg in a fork glide the other night and got that a couple times. I was sort of surprised on that one.

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun

5/4/2020 11:17 AM

Fortyseven

work on it in reverse.... sort of.

stand with your foot on the tire and your free leg on the ground so you're stable.
swing the frame around by moving your hands/bars. You can get a feel of the frame swinging using this technique. lean the bars forward and to the left, the frame will swing to that direction..

then, swing the frame so it's coming around as it does for a tailwhip. your feet are still on the tire and ground..

once the frame comes around. stop it with the foot that's on the ground, quickly pushing the rear tire to the ground while at the same time stepping onto your pedal.

it sounds harder reading / typing it out. but the idea is to work on riding out of the trick the best that you can. get your muscles figuring it out and they'll know what to do.

There's no such thing as cheating so whatever it takes to figure it out is what it takes. smile

hope that makes sense..

|

5/4/2020 8:23 PM

pnj wrote:

BSG - more speed going backwards helps a lot with fakies. ride up that ramp and use the speed from that.

those fork glides are looking great. start wroking on the fire hydrant into it. remember to focus your weight on your peg, not the bars.

smile

Weight on the peg.. took it, tried it, everything is easier.. thanks.. I was keeping a shit ton of weight on the bars..

With that in mind, I also rode into it about 4 of 70 tries.. So I have to get ride outs and put it all together...

No actual record of the above events..

|

5/5/2020 9:08 AM

pnj, that is GREAT advice. Interestingly enough Ready just posted a few vids doing them and I noticed that he would grab the rear tire with his free leg. Now he doesn't always do that on ramps. I think most of the time he just hops himself over the frame onto the pedals. But I've only seen him do it on an incline until these last two posts. And even these are on a bit of incline at the end of his driveway. But it struck me that wow, he's grabbing the wheel with his leg.

I will definitely try this. I forgot to mention, my Instagram handle is SilentNightSun. Supposedly I'm related to Franz Gruber and I played Silent Night at my Grandmothers funeral. They also played it at my Great Grandmothers funeral, her mom. I guess it's becoming kind of a tradition. It was like right before I signed up for Instagram so it was in my head. Why I used Sun instead of Son. I don't know. It was winter. I was missing the Sun. LOL.

Now, I went down a different road last night and I'm not sure what possessed me. I think it was one of those videos you posted earlier. But last night I just started doing some Nollie 180's and was getting close. I almost had it completely 180 once but thought I was going over the bars so I put my foot down. LOL. I got some that were like 150ish.... I posted those on Instagram. I was kind of excited cuz I didn't even have that one in my head to try and it just sort of happened last night. I think I had thought about it a few times. Hopefully I can get all the way 180 and then do that half cab out or do that walk thing. I forget what that was called. Rockwalk? What's it called?

I worked on my fork glides a little too. Hard, but fun. I spent less time on the FJTWhips but some. Didn't get over the frame last night. I did however ride off doing endos a few times and it feels like I'm really getting that rear tire up high now. Hopefully that's teaching me some more level of control..... Otherwise I'm not sure what the point of that trick is. LOL. Other than it's kind of fun.

|

5/5/2020 7:59 PM

Maybe I should go slower???

|

5/5/2020 8:11 PM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Lol, I'm impressed you were able to pull that off at that speed! I find at this point the right speed is everything when it comes to entries. Too slow and I usually fall to one side, too fast and I usually pull the back end up. That's looking really good though!!

|

5/5/2020 9:05 PM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

cchili00 wrote:

Lol, I'm impressed you were able to pull that off at that speed! I find at this point the right speed is everything when it comes to entries. Too slow and I usually fall to one side, too fast and I usually pull the back end up. That's looking really good though!!

Thanks Chili!!

|

5/5/2020 9:07 PM

Not as slow, lol

|

5/5/2020 9:25 PM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Not as slow, lol

From that angle almost looked like you were about to get obliterated by one of those passing cars, lol. Looking really good BSG!

|

5/5/2020 9:29 PM

Thanks man, yeah those cars were another 5ft from where I stopped.. Damn cars..

|

5/6/2020 9:07 AM

Heck yeah man great job!!!! I got around last night too once but I haven't been able to stay up much more than a moment or two. When I focus on keeping the weight on the peg the back end likes to come up more. I still sometimes grab my seat and I may try to raise it up a bit.

I'll say one thing, seems like these new batch of tricks I'm working on are working different sets of muscles. My forearms and front shoulder and chest are a bit sore. Which is good. Cuz all the tricks up until now seemed more like pulling back and my back and top of my shoulders were getting the workout. Of course falling forward a few times probably is part of it. LOL.

It sounded liked you wiped out after you went off camera. LOL. Hope it was no biggie.

|

5/6/2020 9:30 AM

Thanks 47! Yeah no wipeout on that one, probably my back end came up high and fell down or similar.. Fortunately I don't wipeout too much, last time was Friday lol..

I'd say try to just get used to riding a fork glide and scuffing before you try to ride into it.. Scuffing is useful too, every time you scuff it jams your back end down again..

On the "ride in" my "cheat code" is.. As soon as you start the spin into it, OWN that front tire, make it your bitch that you control with your scuffing foot. I almost start off with a foot jam..(with that said) I was also thinking about another "ride in". Do a foot jam half whip, and go into a fork glide from there.??

|

5/6/2020 9:02 PM

Starting to make a little progress on the backwards steamrollers...

Obviously not able to keep them going for very long yet, but getting better.
Also, went and rode on the basketball court at the park today for the first time. It's got a very similar surface to a tennis court and all I can say is, wow, feels 1000 times better and smoother than the asphalt in my cul de sac. I may have to start moving some of my sessions over there.
|

5/6/2020 10:02 PM

Looking good!

|

5/7/2020 4:20 AM

cchili00 wrote:

Starting to make a little progress on the backwards steamrollers...

Obviously not able to keep them going for very long yet, but getting better.
Also, went and rode on the basketball court at the park today for the first time. It's got a very similar surface to a tennis court and all I can say is, wow, feels 1000 times better and smoother than the asphalt in my cul de sac. I may have to start moving some of my sessions over there.

Awesome Chili!!

I think it's just called a steamroller.. Steamrollers are already backwards..๐Ÿ‘

You're entry is completely different than mine lol, which is cool how we arrive at the same place taking different routes...

|

5/7/2020 6:11 AM

Nevermind, steamrollers can be forward or backwards.. You are correct Chili..

|

5/7/2020 10:36 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/7/2020 10:37 AM

Chilli is looking freaking smooooooooth. Great job man!!!!!

I'm getting a bit like..... a kid in the candy store. I only have so much energy and time and I wanna work on more tricks than I have time for. I decided I have to start choosing which ones to work on in one session and then maybe work on another two another time.

I've been working on Endos, Fork glides and scuffing, front wheel 180's, manuals (a little), hops, and of course the footjam tailwhips. Last night I focused mainly on fork glides and scuffing and footjam endos. I also want to add 180 hops in there cuz I saw a tiny bit of progress on those a week ago or so. I got a little past 90 degrees one time and feel like I understand them with the looking a bit more.

Anyways.... I've been seeing little bits of progress on all these except manuals. LOL. Some endos I can get my tire up pretty high but riding out of them is not something that happens all the time. I think I did a dozen last night for the camera before I got one that I rode out on. Plus I need to progress into fakies. Which I was doing before but I wanted to get my footjam endos to the point that I'm consistently riding away on them.

Still haven't had time to put my brake on. Since it's warming up there is more stuff to start wrenching on. I spent a little time yesterday helping my Daughters friends Dad with a few of their bikes when I dropped her off there. I was gonna BMX around that time but I hadn't got to visit with him in a long time so then I just ended up bmxing at night.

I had a few good entries into a fork glide in the last few days and I was stoked. And I'm feeling a tiny bit more able to stay up on the front peg. The thing about focusing your weight on the peg helped but it also seems to lift my rear tire up more....

I think tonight I'll work on tailwhips and I'll try that thing you said pnj. I couldn't remember what you said exactly when I was out last night and I don't surf the net on my phone much. But now I got a better handle on what you are saying. In fact I watched a vid of Mishinn doing a tailwhip when we rode together and he definitely seems like he was using his arms to swing the frame around too. So I get what you're saying. Just gotta learn to incoroporate that aspect. I don't think ready does. He mainly swings his whole body over to the bike. So different people have different styles. It might not be what you're saying the "right" way to do it is but it looks pretty sweet to me.

|

5/7/2020 10:45 AM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Yeah, what I gathered is learning the backwards version is sort of the intro way, and then once you get comfortable with those you move on to the forward version which has a more difficult entry since you have to swing the frame around and catch it (all while balancing on the front wheel only).

Now I'm curious, what is your entry to it?

|

5/7/2020 11:12 AM

if your back wheel is lifting then you're putting too much weight on the bars. That is the ONLY way your rear wheel would come off the ground. There is ZERO force from the peg to lift anything. it's the very center of the pivot point where your bars are the lever that puts force on the bike to lift the rear wheel.. smile

as for riding out of a foot jam endo, the higher you get your rear wheel, the more force you're going to have when the rear tire touches the ground again. use this backwards momentum to help you scoop the foot that is on the pedal up. if the pedal is up, instead of being at 6: O'clock / strait up and down, all you need to do is push down on the pedal and the bike rolls forward.

getting into forward steam rollers is tough. it's a half whiplash thing and then you catch your seat as it swings past your bars. but you can practice the balance point by just setting your bike in the steam roller position and pushing off and try to balance.. get that balance part down the whiplash bit will be much easier. still difficult though. smile

|

5/7/2020 11:13 AM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

cchili00 wrote:

Yeah, what I gathered is learning the backwards version is sort of the intro way, and then once you get comfortable with those you move on to the forward version which has a more difficult entry since you have to swing the frame around and catch it (all while balancing on the front wheel only).

Now I'm curious, what is your entry to it?

I'm not doing/trying forward steamrollers yet myself..

|