So, BlackSwampGhost, you doing any flatlandish type tricks yet?

Related:
Create New Tag

5/7/2020 1:30 PM

pnj wrote:

if your back wheel is lifting then you're putting too much weight on the bars. That is the ONLY way your rear wheel would come off the ground. There is ZERO force from the peg to lift anything. it's the very center of the pivot point where your bars are the lever that puts force on the bike to lift the rear wheel.. smile

as for riding out of a foot jam endo, the higher you get your rear wheel, the more force you're going to have when the rear tire touches the ground again. use this backwards momentum to help you scoop the foot that is on the pedal up. if the pedal is up, instead of being at 6: O'clock / strait up and down, all you need to do is push down on the pedal and the bike rolls forward.

getting into forward steam rollers is tough. it's a half whiplash thing and then you catch your seat as it swings past your bars. but you can practice the balance point by just setting your bike in the steam roller position and pushing off and try to balance.. get that balance part down the whiplash bit will be much easier. still difficult though. smile

Yep, that's what I do with endos. The issue is more about staying upright. I'm learning how to turn my wheel to deal with being not upright. I think if I turn opposite the way I'm leaning it helps. or is it the same way.... LOL. I'm having a hard time keeping that straight.

Gotcha about the weight on the bars. Makes sense.

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun

5/7/2020 1:32 PM

Chilli, do you find the rear brake in the way at all when doing this flatland stuff? Also were those your kids? The bigger one looked like he's already getting some air!!!!!!

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun

5/7/2020 4:04 PM

pnj wrote:

if your back wheel is lifting then you're putting too much weight on the bars. That is the ONLY way your rear wheel would come off the ground. There is ZERO force from the peg to lift anything. it's the very center of the pivot point where your bars are the lever that puts force on the bike to lift the rear wheel.. smile

as for riding out of a foot jam endo, the higher you get your rear wheel, the more force you're going to have when the rear tire touches the ground again. use this backwards momentum to help you scoop the foot that is on the pedal up. if the pedal is up, instead of being at 6: O'clock / strait up and down, all you need to do is push down on the pedal and the bike rolls forward.

getting into forward steam rollers is tough. it's a half whiplash thing and then you catch your seat as it swings past your bars. but you can practice the balance point by just setting your bike in the steam roller position and pushing off and try to balance.. get that balance part down the whiplash bit will be much easier. still difficult though. smile

Yeah, I'm not trying the forward steam roller entry with the half whiplash until I've got that balance point nailed. This one is going to take a while I can tell.

|

5/7/2020 4:06 PM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Nevermind, steamrollers can be forward or backwards.. You are correct Chili..

cchili00 wrote:

Yeah, what I gathered is learning the backwards version is sort of the intro way, and then once you get comfortable with those you move on to the forward version which has a more difficult entry since you have to swing the frame around and catch it (all while balancing on the front wheel only).

Now I'm curious, what is your entry to it?

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

I'm not doing/trying forward steamrollers yet myself..

When you said our entries are different were you referring to backwards steam roller or fork glide? I thought you were referring to backwards steam roller, but now I think you might have been referring to the fork glides.

|

5/7/2020 4:13 PM

cchili00 wrote:

Yeah, what I gathered is learning the backwards version is sort of the intro way, and then once you get comfortable with those you move on to the forward version which has a more difficult entry since you have to swing the frame around and catch it (all while balancing on the front wheel only).

Now I'm curious, what is your entry to it?

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

I'm not doing/trying forward steamrollers yet myself..

cchili00 wrote:

When you said our entries are different were you referring to backwards steam roller or fork glide? I thought you were referring to backwards steam roller, but now I think you might have been referring to the fork glides.

Yeah the fork glides.. You glide into it, and I look like a robot lol

|





5/7/2020 4:15 PM

Fortyseven wrote:

Chilli, do you find the rear brake in the way at all when doing this flatland stuff? Also were those your kids? The bigger one looked like he's already getting some air!!!!!!

So far, no not really. It's a minor annoyance on the FJTWs to have to unwind after every attempt, and I occasionally dig my thumb into a sharp edge where the brake lever attaches to the handlebar, but other than that hasn't caused much of an issue. I've been thinking about taking it off because I pretty much ruined the cable getting my foot stuck in it when I was first trying FJTWs, so it barely works at all, but it works just enough to allow me to dial my speed for fork glide entries, etc. I'm honestly just thinking about removing the rear brake and adding on a front brake which can just be run through the stem.

And yeah, those were my kids. Yeah, he can already bunny hop a decent little bit. He's the whole reason I bought a BMX bike in the first place, and now my daughter is really enjoying it ever since she got her brother's old bike.

|

5/7/2020 4:46 PM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Yeah the fork glides.. You glide into it, and I look like a robot lol

Ahh, ok, lol. I think the difference is just the amount of speed carrying into it. I find the more speed I have the more I have to sort of glide to allow the speed to be absorbed, if that makes sense.

|

5/8/2020 9:22 AM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

I'm not doing/trying forward steamrollers yet myself..

cchili00 wrote:

When you said our entries are different were you referring to backwards steam roller or fork glide? I thought you were referring to backwards steam roller, but now I think you might have been referring to the fork glides.

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Yeah the fork glides.. You glide into it, and I look like a robot lol

LOL. Made me chuckle. You're doing better than me. I just fall most of the time. And if I get all the way around it's only for a moment. But you're right, he's looking smooooooooth.

Chilli, that is so cool about your kids. I bet they are having loads of fun!!!


pnj, I worked on your thing you told me to do. Starting with my foot on the ground. And it helped. I'm starting to get the feel for how to move my arms/ bars to help swing the frame more. I got sooooo freaaaaking close to landing one last night 3 times doing the whole thing. I didn't actually land one of the things you were telling me, but like I said, it totally helped with the feel. I'm telling you, I was so close. but I ran out of energy and had to stop. But my percentage of getting over the bike to how many I did was greatly increased. I think I only tried maybe 10 times and got over the bike three. I got my front foot on the pedal each time but couldn't get a bite in the cranks or anything with my rear foot. My eyeballs are looking at my front foot (free foot) so I think that's why it helps me there.


One other thing I forgot to mention I've been doing lately is really trying hard to learn how to ride with my arms crossed once doing an x up. But for some reason that one is difficult for me. I gotta unwind forthwith. I know the trick of only using your pointer finger and thumb to hold the bars but it still doesn't help me ride much. I'm all ears for cheat codes on that if anyone's got one.

Brakes, I don't know.... I think I'm just gonna leave them off. Sorry to disappoint. I may sometime try them for a bit but I don't like the idea of extra junk hanging off the bars to get my fingers hung up on.

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun

5/8/2020 3:02 PM

cchili00 wrote:

Ahh, ok, lol. I think the difference is just the amount of speed carrying into it. I find the more speed I have the more I have to sort of glide to allow the speed to be absorbed, if that makes sense.

Yeah makes sense.. It's like something needs to be done with some of the turning forward energy and you glide it out, where as I stop it with my foot..

I am going to try to get all the way around doing that, footjam and back to pedals, sort of like a decade without my tires leaving the ground. That might be calling a different name than decade??

Sounds like it would be fun, and look cool too..

|





5/8/2020 3:29 PM

a decade with both tires on the ground is called a boomerang. doing it without front brakes/foot jammed , so your bike rolls in a circle, it's called a fail boomerang. there are one billion versions of boomerangs. Probably a bunch in the BMX Plus tricks video.

|

5/8/2020 4:07 PM

pnj wrote:

a decade with both tires on the ground is called a boomerang. doing it without front brakes/foot jammed , so your bike rolls in a circle, it's called a fail boomerang. there are one billion versions of boomerangs. Probably a bunch in the BMX Plus tricks video.

Awesome!, I figured there was a name, and figured you would know it lol.. Thanks pnj!

Boomerang it is.. Now on my list 👍

|





5/9/2020 10:21 AM

oooo that sounds like a good idea.

I was working on entering and scuffing yesterday and definite progress. Both the tip of looking at the stem and focusing the weight on the peg. I was actually able to stay up for more than just a moment. That was exciting. I start to lose it when starting to scuff thus far but it was progress.

That's a cool idea of going all the way around from the entry. Noice.


I did an almost front wheel 180 yesterday. I'd say it was 165-170. Was a good day. However, my allergies have been kicking up. More congestion and I think my nasal passages are swollen. It happened two years ago pretty stiffly and I got a nasal spray from the doc. That helped. But when you can't breathe good, for me it's more fatiguing so I'm getting tired easier and it's frustrating.

I also have this weird thing. I feel like every time I pump my tires up my hops struggle. LOL. I know people say it's in my head but it seemed like when the tires are lower you get a little bit of a bounce to help. But they feel so much better higher PSI with every other trick I do. LOL. I only have them at 82 ish. My air compressor only seems to go that high. And I don't have a manual one. My last tires were only rated for 65 though. Anyways...

Nobody got any tips on riding crossed arms from an x up?

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun

5/9/2020 10:39 AM

"Nobody got any tips on riding crossed arms from an x up?"

Cheat code- once your arms are crossed, think about your arms as one piece, like they're connected, and steer thinking like that.

|





5/9/2020 10:47 AM

Iiiiiiinteresting. Can you do that?

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun

5/9/2020 11:06 AM

Fortyseven wrote:

Iiiiiiinteresting. Can you do that?

Yes, although not really good, I've tried it a few times and didn't care for it, didn't feel like a "trick", not fun.. Maybe I'll try to get it on a clip next time.

|





5/9/2020 6:38 PM

Today was a good riding day, rode for about 3 hours between two sessions. Pulled two tricks today I've never pulled before. Landed a couple clean 180 hops to fakie and pulled it around and rode away. And then did the same out of a front wheel 180. Since BSG is all about the cheat codes, the cheat code I figured out for these was to focus on bringing my heels up towards my butt as I started rotating, which really helps with bringing the rear end of the bike up and allowing the rear wheel to get all the way around 180. Also starting to increase the distance and consistency on my peg wheelies, averaging maybe 30-40 ft on the decent ones with an occasional runner. Still working on the backwards steamrollers, but starting to be able to ride out of a few per session and hold the balance on one wheel for a bit longer. So all in all one of those really good days where things just seem to be clicking.

|

5/9/2020 7:13 PM

Great update Chili!

|





5/9/2020 7:21 PM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Great update Chili!

Thanks! Funny how some days you just feel 'on', and other days you feel like your starting from scratch all over again.

|

5/9/2020 7:49 PM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Great update Chili!

cchili00 wrote:

Thanks! Funny how some days you just feel 'on', and other days you feel like your starting from scratch all over again.

Agreed..

|





5/9/2020 8:47 PM

Forgot, I caught a clip of one of my better peg wheelie efforts, good enough to continue off camera anyway 😁...

|

5/11/2020 10:44 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/11/2020 10:45 AM

Fortyseven wrote:

Iiiiiiinteresting. Can you do that?

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Yes, although not really good, I've tried it a few times and didn't care for it, didn't feel like a "trick", not fun.. Maybe I'll try to get it on a clip next time.

I think they're cool, but sort of weird at the same time. LOL.

Chili, super hot!!! I had one of those opposite nights on Saturday that was irritating. Earlier that day I went for a ride with my family and I was on my bmx. And when my wife stopped at the lake I worked on few tricks. I got over the bike on a fjtailwhip. After one try. Then later that night I solely worked on them and didn't get JACK. I couldn't even get over the bike. I tried pnj's tip about working on swinging the frame with my foot on the ground and nearly rode away a few times. But then I couldn't get my frame to swing very well that night. So I was like grrrrrrrrrrr…. about it and I feel like I've been working on them forever. LOL.

That being said I'm seeing small amounts of progress in other areas the other times so.... I might just chill on them for a few days. I'm going to start trying to focus on 1 or maybe two tricks that I want to get down each session since they are so short.

But one thing is for certain, I'm like you and got spoiled by riding at the park and skate park. Only thing is that many days I'm riding really late, and technically I'm not supposed to be in the park after 10pm. I would rather not get any admonitions from the police if I was over there past the hours. So then I just ride at home and my driveway isn't really wide and big enough for flatland tricks and the street sucks. It's all unlevel and such. The few times I went to the skatepark I felt like I was riding on clouds. That polished concrete is sooooo nice. LOL. In the beginning I didn't think much about the surface but now when I'm trying to do footjam tailwhips on my street I'm avoiding all the really cracked and unlevel parts and aiming for the flatter spots and it's distracting. LOL.

That peg wheelie looks cool!

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun

5/11/2020 9:10 PM

Fortyseven wrote:

Iiiiiiinteresting. Can you do that?

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Yes, although not really good, I've tried it a few times and didn't care for it, didn't feel like a "trick", not fun.. Maybe I'll try to get it on a clip next time.

Fortyseven wrote:

I think they're cool, but sort of weird at the same time. LOL.

Chili, super hot!!! I had one of those opposite nights on Saturday that was irritating. Earlier that day I went for a ride with my family and I was on my bmx. And when my wife stopped at the lake I worked on few tricks. I got over the bike on a fjtailwhip. After one try. Then later that night I solely worked on them and didn't get JACK. I couldn't even get over the bike. I tried pnj's tip about working on swinging the frame with my foot on the ground and nearly rode away a few times. But then I couldn't get my frame to swing very well that night. So I was like grrrrrrrrrrr…. about it and I feel like I've been working on them forever. LOL.

That being said I'm seeing small amounts of progress in other areas the other times so.... I might just chill on them for a few days. I'm going to start trying to focus on 1 or maybe two tricks that I want to get down each session since they are so short.

But one thing is for certain, I'm like you and got spoiled by riding at the park and skate park. Only thing is that many days I'm riding really late, and technically I'm not supposed to be in the park after 10pm. I would rather not get any admonitions from the police if I was over there past the hours. So then I just ride at home and my driveway isn't really wide and big enough for flatland tricks and the street sucks. It's all unlevel and such. The few times I went to the skatepark I felt like I was riding on clouds. That polished concrete is sooooo nice. LOL. In the beginning I didn't think much about the surface but now when I'm trying to do footjam tailwhips on my street I'm avoiding all the really cracked and unlevel parts and aiming for the flatter spots and it's distracting. LOL.

That peg wheelie looks cool!

Don't worry, the day before I had one of those frustrating days where nothing was clicking, was getting super frustrated. Some days are like that, some days are the opposite. It's all part of the learning process. Obviously we alI much prefer the days where things are clicking!

Today had some good and some bad...the good is I extended the average distance on my peg wheelies at least another 15 to 20 feet, really starting to understand the balance point on these. The bad is during one of the peg wheelie attempts my heel rotated on the peg into the spokes on my rear wheel and now I've got a loose spoke and it's making a slight rattling sound, I think from banging against the crossing spoke. I just ordered a spoke wrench park tool, so hoping I can fix it myself.

|

5/12/2020 9:01 AM

Thanks. Yeah... ups and downs is all part of it. I don't want to give up on FJtailwhips but dang, they're not easy. My nephew said it took him 7 months to do a tailwhip on his scooter. So.... I get it. I play guitar, I know stuff doesn't happen over night. Especially if you can only give it the amount of time I do each day.

It's nice to have other tricks that I'm seeing progress on though. Somehow I figured out how to ride in an x up for a bit. Not real long but must've been the tips. This dude on Instagram gave me some tips and then BSG's on here. But yesterday it just clicked. I didn't go super far but it was more than I was doing. I'm not sure what made the difference but focusing on the front tire once I got it all the way around helped. Just to make sure it's inline with the bike. I need to learn how to get into it with more speed so I can ride longer. I put up a vid on Instagram.

I tried the peg wheelies a bit but I only have 1 peg on the rear. But I saw you doing it with 1 foot off too chilli so. It feels awkward but I could ride it a little bit. I've tried them before too when I had 4 pegs on. It might even be easier with 1 foot off to help balance.

I saw some progress on fork glide entries yesterday too and riding on the peg backwards. That one is exciting to me. The entry feels good when you get around. I even had enough time to faintly scuff once around one time. But haven't stayed up much after entry yet.

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun

5/12/2020 12:44 PM

Fortyseven wrote:

Thanks. Yeah... ups and downs is all part of it. I don't want to give up on FJtailwhips but dang, they're not easy. My nephew said it took him 7 months to do a tailwhip on his scooter. So.... I get it. I play guitar, I know stuff doesn't happen over night. Especially if you can only give it the amount of time I do each day.

It's nice to have other tricks that I'm seeing progress on though. Somehow I figured out how to ride in an x up for a bit. Not real long but must've been the tips. This dude on Instagram gave me some tips and then BSG's on here. But yesterday it just clicked. I didn't go super far but it was more than I was doing. I'm not sure what made the difference but focusing on the front tire once I got it all the way around helped. Just to make sure it's inline with the bike. I need to learn how to get into it with more speed so I can ride longer. I put up a vid on Instagram.

I tried the peg wheelies a bit but I only have 1 peg on the rear. But I saw you doing it with 1 foot off too chilli so. It feels awkward but I could ride it a little bit. I've tried them before too when I had 4 pegs on. It might even be easier with 1 foot off to help balance.

I saw some progress on fork glide entries yesterday too and riding on the peg backwards. That one is exciting to me. The entry feels good when you get around. I even had enough time to faintly scuff once around one time. But haven't stayed up much after entry yet.

Nice job on the x up!

Yes, peg wheelies are much easier with only one foot on the peg, as that free leg is what you use to move around and keep you on the balance point. They feel so awkward at first, but if you just keep practicing them a little bit each day, that awkwardness fades away.

That's awesome on the fork glide entries, they do feel good don't they!

|

5/13/2020 9:09 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/13/2020 9:12 AM

I love doing the fork glide entries when I actually feel like I get around all the way. It's a very cool feeling. Thank you for the encouragement!!!

Last night I did the x up longer than the previous day. However, the faster you go, the more you gotta know what you're doing. LOL. I was going into them faster so I could get a longer ride in the x up and one time I uncrossed and rolled off the bike pretty quickly. LOL. I did the classic roll across the shoulders so it didn't really hurt much. But my right elbow has taken a beating. I bought some elbow pads but I don't really like riding with them on. LOL. Knee pads I don't mind so much but elbow pads feel like it just restricts your movement.....

I did a brand new thing last night. I still am sucky at riding away at endos. I'm trying to learn how to turn the front wheel to adjust for the lean on the bike. It's hard to have no lean at all getting into one. BUT, I'm not sure how I got this idea if I saw it or not but when I got into a few I tried bouncing on the front tire and a few times I got a bounce.

And at the same time another thing hit me.... if you have a rear brake you could maybe get into a position with a peg wheelie and pogo. I don't see how you could do that without having brakes unless at the same time you take your free leg and put it on the tire... I guess that could work. But now I'm thinking putting my rear brake on to see if I can pogo on the rear peg. LOL.

The rear brake MIGHT help me with fjtailwhips too, but I don't gear to be the determining factor at getting those. I think it's just a trick that is taking longer for me and that's OK.

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun

5/13/2020 9:12 AM

Photo
|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun

5/13/2020 9:22 AM

since I'm having issues posting vids and having figured out da utube yet....

Photo
Photo
Photo

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun

5/13/2020 8:02 PM

Looking good Fortyseven! Nice height on that hop!!

|

5/13/2020 8:10 PM

Starting to get these backwards steamrollers dialed...


Biggest challenge has been the slope of my cul de sac. If I don't roll out of the half hydrant in just the right direction I end up going against the slope of the street and lose all of my speed which makes it very difficult to hold the balance while on one wheel in the steamroller. Can't wait to try these on the basketball court at the park near my house.
|

5/14/2020 9:08 AM

THANK YOU!!!!

You are looking so smooooth!!! I hear you about the cul de sac. For sure everything is better on a flat smooth ground. Although admittedly everywhere I ride has a bit of an angle. Probably for water run off. I think sometimes that plays to may advantage but maybe not other times. I can't wait for you to ride over at your basketball court either!!! I bet it will open up some doors for you. I feel like in about 2 months you're gonna start looking like Matthias Dandois or something!!! You have made a crap ton of progress. I'm really stoked about that cuz I don't know a whole lot of people getting into flatland. I watched a clip from Matthias Dandois on Instagram and he hopped 180 then on the bounce hopped into a 540. I was like waaaaaaaa? He's like the spin meister.


I don't even know why I like doing hops as much as I do. I don't even hop onto stuff and I'm not really planning on grinding. But there's something about defying gravity, especially on a bike, that feels so cool and looks cool. I don't really know if I'll get much higher though. My strength being the limiting factor. LOL. I never was a big jumper in basketball. I wrestled and played football in high school. And I played mostly defense. Although I did play some "wingback" freshman and sophomore. But then Junior year it was all Safety on Varsity. Anyways. Point being I didn't do sports that made me jump a whole lot. Although sometimes you'd jump over a pile if you had the ball. Of course I did play pick up basketball games with people at times though.

I gotta try and put another peg or two on and get used to them.



|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun