So How Does One Go About Deciding On Handlebars These Days?

Related:
Create New Tag

4/21/2014 9:13 PM

Long story short, have not ridden actively since 2002.. lost touch with the scene and now i'm back..

HOLY MOLEY, has sh*T changed!!

I see that 4 piece bars(all the rage back then) are now almost extinct...

Anyways i'm trying to get back into this and looking for some advise on one of the thorniest issues for me..

How to decide on what criteria and what make/model of Handlebars to get?

any ideas and suggestions very welcome!!

About ME:

Looking at mainly street riding, some park.. little trails.. bout 90% street, 9% park, 1% trails..

current bike is a Haro 540 AIR, rocking the 4pc Castillo bars..

Went to a skate park last week, by the time all the kids and my fellow riders finished laughing at my bike, I decided to rent one instead of using my own..

Long story short on that up to date rental, within an hour I was back at the level I had been back in 2002... grinding, manuals

Today I got on my trusty haro and after 2 hours, I could barely manual it, much less bunny hop the joint over a curb..

So I'm thinking new age is the way to go!! Must be the new bars, like I said at the park with an hour I was manual'ing longer than I could 2day on my current setup..

oNe

|

4/21/2014 9:17 PM

What about your height and do you prefer a tall front end, etc.? I remember when I used to ride like 7.75" bars and it'd feel okay but then I made the huge transition to 8" and I was okay, this is the new century of BMX, haha. Now, I ride 8.25" and it's gonna stay that way with 8" lowest and 8.5" highest. There's also backsweep and upsweep, generally with more upsweep being lighter on the wrists. As for manuals, that may also relate to the chainstay length but I highly doubt it as I ride almost a 14" chainstay and I've learned 180's, 3's, and manual variations.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

4/21/2014 9:33 PM

FUCK the people who laugh at your bike. You can probaly get more money out of it those those little shitheads bikes are worth. Your bike will probaly last longer too.

just ask for the rise and width. All you need to care about really. 8.25 rise is average , 8.5 is a bit nicer. If you are TALLER get bigger bars , also , if you have a longer toptube then bigger bars will feel better. If you barspin aim for 29" bars (wide) or less but that doesn't matter as much.

8.75 is tall and 9 is the MAX you need unless you're 6.4' +

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

4/21/2014 9:39 PM

Most every company makes decent bars these days. And 4 piece seem to be making a small comeback...

get taller bars if you're a taller dude.. or not. it depends on your preference.
something with +upsweep for them street drops, should take a nice load off your wrists

The big thing would be to replace that hoopty ass Haro you got. lol You've got some serious catching up to do. welcome back.

|

FREE not under the control or in the power of another; able to act or be done as one wishes
STYLE a particular, distinctive, or characteristic mode of action or manner of acting

4/21/2014 10:05 PM

On the 4pc bar thing, about 2 years ago there wasn't even half of the 4 piece bars available today.

|

4/21/2014 10:15 PM

First of all, dont ever get rid of your Haro, its a classic. Best advice you could get is to keep going to the park and trying some other peoples bikes out to see what Geometry styles work best for you. Animal and Standard Byke Co. still make some pretty sweet 4pc bars with modern day geometries. Also you dont have to spend alot to get some decent bars, Ive had a pair of Stolen Cell Bars and they are very comfortable and solid bars for around 46 bucks. Again, I doesnt matter what all the current fads are, how tall you are, or your riding style, it all comes down to whats comfortable to you.

|

4/22/2014 8:24 PM

Gentelmen...Gentlemen...

Thank you all for the input and advise.. really appreciate it!

I think I got it..

I am 5'8", 200lbs,

Mainly riding street and by that I mean.. just manualing, hopefully ledge grinding on any I can find, and hopping you know as I build my skill set back up.

so from what I read here.. any 2 piece bars with 8..25 rise, and 29" or less should do the trick..

SWEET!! simple enough!

oNe

|

4/22/2014 11:07 PM

If you haven't rode since 2002 you should be going by the bar of choice the s&m slam bar......most kids on here weren't even riding in 2002 you should know better

|

4/23/2014 12:21 AM

eskimojay wrote:

If you haven't rode since 2002 you should be going by the bar of choice the s&m slam bar......most kids on here weren't ...more

lol this. and at 5'8" I probably would go 8" at the most. but that's just me... its mainly preference

|

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "

4/23/2014 6:46 PM

eskimojay wrote:

If you haven't rode since 2002 you should be going by the bar of choice the s&m slam bar......most kids on here weren't ...more

TRUE... but at the same time, MOST kids on here are dancing circles around what the PRO's did back in 2002....

haha, maybe its just me, but it seems that what was considered PRO level in 2002 is like standard basic level in 2014...

i.e. back in 1999 it was said, if you could bust a tailwhip or even GRIND a rail, you would probably be SPONSORED!!

I do not think that's the case these days..

oNe

P.S. S&M Slam bars seem legit.. any other contenders to consider?

|

4/23/2014 7:14 PM

The Way I Look At Things Is....

4-Piece Usually Triumphs Over 2-Piece
Upsweep 3+ - Unless You Want To Experiment!
Width - If They're 30" Wide, Can They Be Cut?
Height - Not Too Particularly Bothered By Height
Backsweep - Prefer 10, But I Can Run .5's, 11, 12 etc

That's The List For Me. It's Upsweep & Width That Are The 2 Most Important Specs To Me!

|

4/24/2014 3:11 PM

Topsey wrote:

The Way I Look At Things Is....

4-Piece Usually Triumphs Over 2-Piece
Upsweep 3+ - Unless You Want To Experiment!
Width - If ...more

so what are the TOP modern 4 piece bars these days?

Def going 2 piece.. but just curious as to your thoughts..

oNe

|

4/24/2014 3:15 PM

Phabeon wrote:

TRUE... but at the same time, MOST kids on here are dancing circles around what the PRO's did back in 2002....

haha, maybe ...more

SHit change, geo, parts and bikes improve. Lots of people can tailwhip, barspin and all the shit now (not personally me). Check Nike argentina edit. Thats where the pro level ls at.

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

Instagram: Luislorentebmx

4/24/2014 8:34 PM

eskimojay wrote:

Phabeon wrote:

haha, maybe ...more

T-rider wrote:

SHit change, geo, parts and bikes improve. Lots of people can tailwhip, barspin and all the shit now (not personally me). ...more

d@m!!!!

if you meant this:

|

4/24/2014 10:21 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/24/2014 10:23 PM

You guys can wine
About what 4
Piece or 2 piece bars are in and cool
But you and me included still can't spin the bars like
Nyquist in 2000

And if anyone on here had the same
Piece bars as he did back then you would all hate him cause his bars aren't in

Any real rider doesn't have one fuck to give about what parts you have or how light your bike is it's how you put it to use

|

4/25/2014 6:20 PM

eskimojay wrote:

You guys can wine
About what 4
Piece or 2 piece bars are in and cool
But you and me included still can't spin the bars like
...more

UNLESS you have no parts.. haha like me no 2pc and no 4pc bars.. haha!

nice!

|

4/25/2014 6:52 PM

4-Piece Bars = Fit Benny L, Stranger Thrash, Bone Deth Deadman V.2, T-1 Salt City, Subrosa Party, Animal Big Four

2-Piece Bars...

8.5" = 90East Tremont, Cult Butter, S&M Twathead (Fathead) Shadow Vultus, Tree Moto, T-1 Ruben

8.75" = Fit Mac, FBM US-Apes, Mutiny Manroid, S&M Credence, Subrosa Noster, Sunday Tall T, Volume Bourbon Street

9" = Fly Fuego, FBM US-Apes, Odyssey Sweepstakes, Shadow Vultus, Tree Moto

9"+ = Fit Skycraper, Shadow Conspiracy Vultus, Tree Moto, Wethepeople Sterling

Odd Sizes = Odyssey GY3 8.66", T-1 8.85",

All These Bars Have 3+ Upsweep, Stick With That!!! There HAS To Be Something That Takes Your Fancy Up ^^Thar^^

|

4/26/2014 10:52 AM

Phabeon wrote:

d@m!!!!

if you meant this:

Not to go off topic but wow...wow. That's insane.

|

My Ride
My Other Ride
I've sold stuff to Ecuadevil, LLURider, and Mario.villegas90 with no complaints.
IG: evildeadhands