So I heard a Profile Elite today...

Related:
Create New Tag

10/15/2017 10:47 PM

I was amazed by how loud it was. Even if he was rolling at a crawling speed it sounded as if he was going 30mph down a hill...

I have heard people talk about the profile elite but never actually been in the same area as someone who owns one.

Personally, I did not like listening to it but If you are looking for the best possible engagement, it would be a great investment.

I could see a skateboarder or a neighbor being really annoyed with that particular sound; Considering many find a "regular" cassette somewhat annoying.

All words aside, I was impressed by it.

|

10/15/2017 10:52 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/15/2017 10:53 PM

I think they're pointless. You can (and a lot of racers do) remove 2 springs and pawls and it'll still engage just as quickly. With all 6 springs and pawls there's a noticeable drag (my friend had them, he had to pedal down hill to keep up with me on my mini's, and less pressure in my tyres). The toothed pawls wear and need replacing more often than normal pawls. And that noise is horrific.
My friend swapped his day old elites for a pair of mini's because of the noise laughing

I like the shape of them though. I wish they still made totems

|

10/15/2017 11:58 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/15/2017 11:59 PM

About 3 of locals at my park ride them and they all shout gay shit at each other like 'oooh I can't wait to hear what your hub sounds like with a ti driver and doubled springs' and it's honestly so annoying that I only really ride the park on weekdays that I have free.
One of the guys also bought a used bike and had to grease the hub because he couldn't concentrate while he was riding.

|

Hmmm

10/16/2017 12:01 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/16/2017 12:01 AM

Edman123 wrote:

About 3 of locals at my park ride them and they all shout gay shit at each other like 'oooh I can't wait to hear what your hub ...more

I wasnt really riding as much as I was just rolling around since my foot is fucked at the moment but I had a hard time focusing on anything else but his bike! He was rolling around in a section behind me when I was trying some little nose manual up a flat bank thing.

|

10/16/2017 12:13 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

I wasnt really riding as much as I was just rolling around since my foot is fucked at the moment but I had a hard time ...more

Haha if you think that's bad what do you think they hear when going fast around a bowl corner.
One of the guys though does this really funny ET over a hip next to where everyone sits and scares the shit out of them every time, because it's loud then when he does the ET it's silent and them it screams for a second before he lands and goes back to just very loud.

|

Hmmm

10/16/2017 12:16 AM

Edman123 wrote:

About 3 of locals at my park ride them and they all shout gay shit at each other like 'oooh I can't wait to hear what your hub ...more

Bulletpup wrote:

I wasnt really riding as much as I was just rolling around since my foot is fucked at the moment but I had a hard time ...more

Edman123 wrote:

Haha if you think that's bad what do you think they hear when going fast around a bowl corner.
One of the guys though does ...more

Lol thats pretty funny.

Definitely would be a great warning hub for street riding and sidewalks.

|

10/16/2017 8:33 AM

I just ordered an elite hub set paired to some g sport birdcages in gold with a titanium 14 mm Male axle and ti driver , I’m so excited , had minis before and they kicked ass can’t wait for them to show up

|

10/16/2017 10:50 AM

I just think they're way over priced.. I'm not a fan of profile really.. maybe if i raced bmx i would be but how great are they? I know a rider who bent his profile crank arm.. for the prices of anything profile you can find stuff witb twice the quality and fraction of the price. And why wouldent the elites come stock with a ti axel? For that price, oh well riders choice.. but people could spend that amount on such better or more things for there bike imo.

|

10/16/2017 11:01 AM

Shredkink9 wrote:

I just think they're way over priced.. I'm not a fan of profile really.. maybe if i raced bmx i would be but how great are ...more

Elites come stock with the alloy female axle, as they're race hubs, so a male axle isn't needed. All the hardware that's needed with a male axle makes it heavier.
And profile cranks come with a lifetime warranty. You really can't find cranks that are twice the quality for half the price. You can probably find some that are as good quality for less. I think the years profile cranks have been around is proof enough that they're good though

|

10/16/2017 11:16 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/16/2017 11:16 AM

Shredkink9 wrote:

I just think they're way over priced.. I'm not a fan of profile really.. maybe if i raced bmx i would be but how great are ...more

"Twice the quality", I think not... Profile's parts are some of the best I have had the pleasure of riding and as far as I remember, are backed by a pretty good warranty.

"I know a rider who bent his Profile crank arm", and??? Parts break and bend, that will happen eventually to any part if you're riding anything other than 2ft ledges. I can say that of all of the people I've known over the years with Profile parts, only one has had trouble with a part(cranks) and that was just because his cranks were 8+ years old, beaten to shit and just worn out.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

10/16/2017 12:01 PM

Profile parts are more for Park, right? I kind of want a loud cassette just so people walking around the city can hear me better. I might have to stick with Primo or buy the Animal cassette if Profile isn't great for street.

|

10/16/2017 12:38 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/16/2017 12:41 PM

Sheldon. wrote:

Profile parts are more for Park, right? I kind of want a loud cassette just so people walking around the city can hear me ...more

The clue is in the name of the company. Profile racing. It's a racing company.
Depends which hubs you go for, there's plenty of options for axle type etc. But, they've never been designed specifically for doing grinds. The hollow male axles will hold up just as well as any other hollow male axle. Just don't get the alloy female axles if you plan on grinding

|

10/16/2017 2:10 PM

Sheldon. wrote:

Profile parts are more for Park, right? I kind of want a loud cassette just so people walking around the city can hear me ...more

If you're looking for a loud cassette hub for street and park get a Shadow Raptor or Shadow BTR (Same thing as the Raptor but it's a female axle)
I have a Shadow Raptor cassette and its loud and it's a great hub... only issue I have was that the hollow Cromoly axle bent but I bought a new solid axle for it and it's been great (but I also don't have pegs anymore and I'm sure grinding played a major role in bending my axle....)

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

10/16/2017 2:12 PM

Sheldon. wrote:

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

If you're looking for a loud cassette hub for street and park get a Shadow Raptor or Shadow BTR (Same thing as the Raptor but ...more

How long did your hollow axle last?

|

10/16/2017 2:15 PM

Sheldon. wrote:

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

If you're looking for a loud cassette hub for street and park get a Shadow Raptor or Shadow BTR (Same thing as the Raptor but ...more

Bulletpup wrote:

How long did your hollow axle last?

I'm not really sure becasue I bought it second hand.... but if you a light smooth park rider it would probably last a while... but the new solid axle only cost me like $20 I think of Empire....

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

10/17/2017 6:30 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

I was amazed by how loud it was. Even if he was rolling at a crawling speed it sounded as if he was going 30mph down a hill... ...more

I had the Madera version of it for awhile and it’s the main reason I don’t like the sound of cassettes. I arrived at a skatepark more than once to have kids come rolling up asking if I was on a profile. Quality part, annoying sound.

|