So I put brakes on..

Related:
Create New Tag

8/24/2014 10:08 PM

Just to dick around with for a week. I'm re-painting my rims next week, so I figure now's the time to fuck the paint up on my rims and play around with brake tricks.

I have some questions though..

1- Why the fuck are Sunday's brake mounts so retarded? I'll post a photo below, but the regular bolts that hold the calipers on bottom out inside the mount before they are tightened fully. I had to add a spacer so the bolt head sticks out, but it works.

2- What brakes are these anyway? Just out of curiosity. A guy brought them into the shop I work at wanting them put on, but they didn't work on his bike for some reason and he had another brake-set with him that fit, so he said I could just keep these. Obviously they're Demolition, and I Googled "Demolition brakes" and the Vulcan brakes came up, but I couldn't find anything to officially verify that.

Pics!

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

And a video from today. I could abubaca curbs on my friend's bike before, but was never able to pull off a fufanu on a curb, but managed to learn them. I find it harder to fufanu banks with brakes though rather than just use pedal pressure like I normally do haha. They're pretty fun to play around with but I don't see myself keeping them. Although I love the clean look on the frame since the cable fits into the groove under the top tube perfectly.

|

8/24/2014 10:16 PM

Adjust the brake pads a wee bit so they hit the rim 100%

|

13 years old

8/25/2014 7:28 AM

Krooked wrote:

Adjust the brake pads a wee bit so they hit the rim 100%

They probably already do when the brakes are pulled. I love having brakes now.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

8/25/2014 7:32 AM

Demolition brakes, before the vulcan I do believe.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

8/25/2014 7:43 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

I guess they're just "Demolition" and don't have a specific name then. Oh well, I was just curious. Either way they're nice brakes & have a little sealed bearing in the pivots.

|

8/25/2014 8:35 AM

Learn fufanus

|

8/25/2014 11:40 AM

900 tire taps.

Do it.

BTW, no one else said it but "YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY SOMEONE ELSE TRYING BRAKES!!!!"

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

8/25/2014 12:32 PM

Brakes are rad keep brakes. haha I love mine.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

8/25/2014 12:46 PM

brakes are hit/miss mine are always comin on or off.

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

8/25/2014 12:51 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

900 tire taps.

Do it.

BTW, no one else said it but "YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY SOMEONE ELSE TRYING BRAKES!!!!"

I've done brakeless 1080 tire taps haha.

|

8/25/2014 1:05 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

900 tire taps.

Do it.

sundaybmxRR wrote:

I've done brakeless 1080 tire taps haha.

Awesome. Go for the 1440

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

8/25/2014 1:10 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

Awesome. Go for the 1440

I've tried, I've done one, MAYBE two, 1260 taps but anything more than a 720 tap is a bitch

Doing them with the aid of brakes though seems weird, I haven't fully grasped the concept of doing tricks while pulling the brakes. I rode brakes several years ago but never learned brake tricks so I'm just now learning all that stuff.

|

8/25/2014 1:29 PM

I LOVE barpsin to tire taps. SOOO fun.

Also a nice clean 540 tire tap is great too.

Back in the day I rocked the occasional Bar to 540 tire tap smile

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

8/25/2014 2:52 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

sundaybmxRR wrote:

I guess they're just "Demolition" and don't have a specific name then. Oh well, I was just curious. Either way they're nice brakes & have a little sealed bearing in the pivots.

I have some Demolition Vulcans (says so on the box) with the same logo on them, and they look the same as far as arm machining. So I think they are gen1 Vulcans. Although are those the original caps or did you switch caps? mine came with flush fit caps and bolts.

|

"Let it be heard: FOUR IS BACK MUH FUCKAZ"
Refs: Mobking, four, tomdon, Sickdude, xxOhioanxx onetrykid Krisner BMX
FBM Pizza Beer Roast Machine

8/25/2014 6:17 PM

Collin_McClenahan wrote:

I have some Demolition Vulcans (says so on the box) with the same logo on them, and they look the same as far as arm machining. So I think they are gen1 Vulcans. Although are those the original caps or did you switch caps? mine came with flush fit caps and bolts.

sweet thanks, I figured but wasn't positive.

And yeah I switched caps cause the bolts were too long for the original caps, they're too long even for the caps on there now so I had to put a spacer in between the top of the cap and bolt cause the Sunday brake mount threads are super short for some reason.

|

8/25/2014 6:50 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

I LOVE barpsin to tire taps. SOOO fun.

Also a nice clean 540 tire tap is great too.

Back in the day I rocked the occasional Bar to 540 tire tap smile

I love 540 taps across pyramids, bar to 540 tap sounds badass haha

|

8/25/2014 6:51 PM

eskimojay wrote:

Learn fufanus

That's what I was going for in the video but I did more of a 90° into the stall. I'll work on them though

|

8/25/2014 7:03 PM

You are clearly not street anymore, hand in your pegs and only do whips on a flyout...

|

8/25/2014 7:09 PM

Mychaylo wrote:

You are clearly not street anymore, hand in your pegs and only do whips on a flyout...

SHIT!

Haha. Steven Hamilton shreds street though with brakes tongue

They'll be off in less than two weeks, I just wanna dick around with them. Only using them for abubacas & fufanus on parking blocks and other stuff, none of that cheating using them to manual bullshit

|

8/25/2014 7:35 PM

Hamilton could do anything and still be the coolest rider in the world.

I can't say anything i usually have fronts and a gyro on wink

|

8/25/2014 7:37 PM

Mychaylo wrote:

Hamilton could do anything and still be the coolest rider in the world.

I can't say anything i usually have fronts and a gyro on wink

This is true. Hamilton rules.

Front brakes seem like they'd be cool to mess around with though. I saw some kid riding them and was doing feeble grinds on a grind box, then pulled his front brake and did like a g-turn out of it. Looked pretty sick. Don't see many people riding them these days.

|

8/25/2014 8:00 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

This is true. Hamilton rules.

Front brakes seem like they'd be cool to mess around with though. I saw some kid riding them and was doing feeble grinds on a grind box, then pulled his front brake and did like a g-turn out of it. Looked pretty sick. Don't see many people riding them these days.

Favourite trick is nosepicks to smiths/disaster in quarters, when ive got the balls for it haha. it worth getting a set, opens up your trick book

|

8/25/2014 8:12 PM

I actually really want brakes but I hate working on things, and since I've been brakeless since I started riding i have no idea how to put mine on haha, maybe one day.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

8/25/2014 8:20 PM

Four wrote:

I actually really want brakes but I hate working on things, and since I've been brakeless since I started riding i have no idea how to put mine on haha, maybe one day.

the brakes & lever really aren't that hard to put on. Brake lever just bolts on, and the brakes just bolt onto the mounts and you turn the caps about 1/4 way around as you tighten the bolt..

the hard part can be getting the cable through the cable hanger without fraying the end and tensioning it properly, same with the one on the brake arm if it has one. In my opinion those are the hardest parts, but once you figure them out they're pretty simple.

|

8/25/2014 8:21 PM

Mychaylo wrote:

Favourite trick is nosepicks to smiths/disaster in quarters, when ive got the balls for it haha. it worth getting a set, opens up your trick book

sounds legit haha.

I'd probably try them out if I had brake mounts on the front.

|

8/25/2014 8:49 PM

you can pick up forks with mounts from a few years ago ultra cheap, i got brand new proper bike co forks with mounts on sale for £20

|

8/26/2014 6:08 AM

There is a dude on here with an ODY fork with mounts for 50.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

8/26/2014 7:44 PM

Ehh not really looking to buy new forks haha. I have Mongoose forks laying around with brake mounts if I REALLY wanna just try them out but yeah

Also, I bought a green Animal Illegal Linear cable today smile

And an Odyssey Monolever Medium lever

Brakes work & feel much better!

Photo

|

8/27/2014 4:30 AM

Brakes for the win.

|

It’s all bmx