So I rode a Clutch ..

Related:
Create New Tag

10/26/2015 12:31 AM

Used a buddies bike and he had a cult coaster on and the driver slipped so he bought a new one . I ride his bike before the Clutch and besides the slippage it felt like a standard coaster .

I rode his bike like 2 days ago and he mentioned a new hub but there was a lot going on so I didn't notice but yah I rode a clutch hub .

Didn't notice a thing ( NOT to insult , or start an argument , etc ) but for those expecting it to be engaging like a fucking profile or anything , it didn't . It DID feel solid , but the stigma of having it might have a placebo effect on the riders mind because I didn't notice . My buddy likes his a lot . If the price went down in CAD I wouldn't mind one but when's the polished being released wink

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

10/26/2015 8:43 AM

All the odyssey fan girls are going to be pissed and tell you it's better than the profile by using some imaginary wobble excuse

Odyssey makes good brakes I'll give them that but that's about all id ever spend my money on their products

|

10/26/2015 10:05 AM

i still can't figure out why anybody would expect it to engage like a profile or like any other hub that isn't a clutch-style coaster. it feels just like a KHE to me.

|

selling refs: see profile
Instagram
bike check

10/26/2015 10:25 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/26/2015 10:29 AM

I saw somewhere that Meltons Bike shop has polished shells

What do you mean engaging like a profile?

|

please embed videos

My art c:

bought from: Mario.villegas90, robinson79
[b]

10/26/2015 10:29 AM

|

please embed videos

My art c:

bought from: Mario.villegas90, robinson79
[b]

10/26/2015 10:44 AM

I've seen a few of them, they are nice. If I could justify the cost I would be ALL over it. But alas, I am poor. So when the time comes it will be a more cost effective coaster for me.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/26/2015 3:46 PM

i wish i could find one, need polished hubs, chrome rim and spokes with black nipples and a tan wall tire keepin it classy

|

1996 dyno slammer, 1997 mosh pro, 1998 gt vertigo, 2000 haro backtrail x3, 2004 free agent tigercat, 2005 volume dinosaur, 2005 s&m black bike, 2013 stolen saint 24", 2015 flybikes proton

10/26/2015 5:47 PM

eskimojay wrote:

All the odyssey fan girls are going to be pissed and tell you it's better than the profile by using some imaginary wobble excuse

Odyssey makes good brakes I'll give them that but that's about all id ever spend my money on their products

You fucking got that spot on hahahah

Yah they don't make bad products , I was just saying how I didn't realize it was the clutch for the people who think riding one will make them 180 crank flip fakie fullcab or something first try .

Odyssey twisted pedals are the best pedals I've ever ridden I'll give them that easily

|

My Cult 2 Short

10/26/2015 6:41 PM

I'm going to save up for a Profile zCoaster because
When I have enough money for the Zcoaster I'll buy the demolition rotator wheel and some other parts That I can buy with all that money.

But Odyssey M2 levers are the best levers I've ever ridden I'll give them that easily.

|

You say BMX is your life but you barely ride.
BUT hey, That's none of my business.

10/26/2015 6:53 PM

Sooo what you're saying is...

No I'm not asking information. I got to try a Clutch coaster the other day at the skatepark. It was honestly the most dialed coaster I've ever ridden. Everything felt amazing. I noticed the clutch was instantly responsive , the driver was more noticable in pedaling , and my god the hub felt solid like a bad poop haha . Either way , I really like Odyssey parts , I own a Tshirt , Stem , Pedals , Forks , and more. They're good.

It's on sale on Dans if you're interested. First impression , it was a 10/10. Really popular free coaster !

|

10/26/2015 7:26 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Sooo what you're saying is...

No I'm not asking information. I got to try a Clutch coaster the other day at the skatepark. It was honestly the most dialed coaster I've ever ridden. Everything felt amazing. I noticed the clutch was instantly responsive , the driver was more noticable in pedaling , and my god the hub felt solid like a bad poop haha . Either way , I really like Odyssey parts , I own a Tshirt , Stem , Pedals , Forks , and more. They're good.

It's on sale on Dans if you're interested. First impression , it was a 10/10. Really popular free coaster !

my fucking man LMFAO I totally forgot about that lmaaaoo . Fuck your probably have it saved as a file it word or something LOL

|

My Cult 2 Short

10/27/2015 6:53 AM

lulz XD

But yea, I hear ya, it is a dialed hub, but it won't magically make you do ridiculous things. Funny part is that people who are new to riding think a coaster will give them fakie skills, and now those kids will think this one specifically will give them fakie MAGIC.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/28/2015 4:44 AM

eskimojay wrote:

41 thermal yo

|

10/28/2015 4:06 PM

eskimojay wrote:

Rob_Lund wrote:

41 thermal yo

4qbaked > 41thermal yo

|

10/28/2015 6:15 PM

I'm honestly feeling the WTP coaster for the 3 ball clutch deal going on . Seems like a good idea with the ACB

|

My Cult 2 Short

10/29/2015 8:04 AM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

I'm honestly feeling the WTP coaster for the 3 ball clutch deal going on . Seems like a good idea with the ACB

Just an extra ball to grind a groove into the clutch when dirty giving crap disengagement and engagement. Better make sure to clean it out somewhat often.

Honestly there should be a better spring system for that part. I used a twisted up spoke in a modded coaster on the inside of the clutch to push it towards the driver, and that worked pretty well, but was a tad too springy (Ironically it was the Odyssey Reloader, which did not have adjustable slack, and had a weird spring system that was so flipping hard to reinstall). Something a little thinner would work a lot better I think and remove the springball thing as a whole.

A plastic bushing on each end of a metal spring that goes around the axle into the clutch, and when the hub is backpedaled or coasted/disengaged, it compresses the spring, and pushes on the clutch to re-engage. The bushing could even but up against roller bearings to have minimal friction/allow for crankflips. Shorter/longer or more compressed springs could allow for different levels of slack too, and maybe even having min/max markings on the spring for cutting for slack adjustment would be possible for maximum customization.

I wonder if this is something that has been thought and tried or if it was something so simple it was overlooked...

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/29/2015 8:52 AM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

dave lawrence wrote:

Just an extra ball to grind a groove into the clutch when dirty giving crap disengagement and engagement. Better make sure to clean it out somewhat often.

Honestly there should be a better spring system for that part. I used a twisted up spoke in a modded coaster on the inside of the clutch to push it towards the driver, and that worked pretty well, but was a tad too springy (Ironically it was the Odyssey Reloader, which did not have adjustable slack, and had a weird spring system that was so flipping hard to reinstall). Something a little thinner would work a lot better I think and remove the springball thing as a whole.

A plastic bushing on each end of a metal spring that goes around the axle into the clutch, and when the hub is backpedaled or coasted/disengaged, it compresses the spring, and pushes on the clutch to re-engage. The bushing could even but up against roller bearings to have minimal friction/allow for crankflips. Shorter/longer or more compressed springs could allow for different levels of slack too, and maybe even having min/max markings on the spring for cutting for slack adjustment would be possible for maximum customization.

I wonder if this is something that has been thought and tried or if it was something so simple it was overlooked...

Do you still have that reloader by chance? I loved that thing. It was crap out of the box. It was my first aftermarket wheel, i was on a coaster way before it was trendy or cool or anything, i think in the long run it helped me a lot. I learned about working on hubs with it and lacing wheels and fixing bearings and all kinds of stuff with it!

My mod was the bomb. It's basically what you're talking about. I tried this cut of PVC that slid into the part of the driver that the springs rode on and i put some springs that fit in there, i used this old wind up toy train thing that i cut to fit it. I folded it over a few times for good measure and it wouldn't wear as badly. The PVC part had a problem where if there was too much grease it would be all nasty and slip, so i ditched that idea. It made it smooth as buttercream icing though. haha

I eventually modded even further, i had some neat washers that fit in there and i took a caged bearing from an older unsealed hub and made it so it would crank flip basically, even though i couldn't crank flip at the time, it would've been like zero resistance. I played with designs on that for forever. I loved it. I did eventually removed the caged bearing though and stuff because i didn't like the weird amount of slack.

Only problem with it was that the dumb driver bearings weren't tough enough and those retarded lock nuts always managed to deform the threads on the axle, i remember having to file them back into place a few times.

I would totally dig having another one for fun. It was like a hub you bought that would barely work and you could re-invent the internals to where you like it. I loved it.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

10/30/2015 7:31 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/30/2015 7:32 AM

MaximusBikes wrote:

Do you still have that reloader by chance? I loved that thing. It was crap out of the box. It was my first aftermarket wheel, i was on a coaster way before it was trendy or cool or anything, i think in the long run it helped me a lot. I learned about working on hubs with it and lacing wheels and fixing bearings and all kinds of stuff with it!

My mod was the bomb. It's basically what you're talking about. I tried this cut of PVC that slid into the part of the driver that the springs rode on and i put some springs that fit in there, i used this old wind up toy train thing that i cut to fit it. I folded it over a few times for good measure and it wouldn't wear as badly. The PVC part had a problem where if there was too much grease it would be all nasty and slip, so i ditched that idea. It made it smooth as buttercream icing though. haha

I eventually modded even further, i had some neat washers that fit in there and i took a caged bearing from an older unsealed hub and made it so it would crank flip basically, even though i couldn't crank flip at the time, it would've been like zero resistance. I played with designs on that for forever. I loved it. I did eventually removed the caged bearing though and stuff because i didn't like the weird amount of slack.

Only problem with it was that the dumb driver bearings weren't tough enough and those retarded lock nuts always managed to deform the threads on the axle, i remember having to file them back into place a few times.

I would totally dig having another one for fun. It was like a hub you bought that would barely work and you could re-invent the internals to where you like it. I loved it.

Mine is LONG gone sadly. It was a good hub, and one of the only coasters aimed for park on the market when I got mine.

I actually know a dude who is STILL on his. He has had it for like 10 years and it is still original internals from what I heard last. I think he got a replacement bearing for the driver.

Honestly I would love that hub again. The alloy lock nuts crapped out, so I put steel ones on mine for a while.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura