So this just happened - Colony Wasp major issue

Related:
Create New Tag

12/10/2016 2:48 PM

Hi guys!

So today was the big day when I was going to put the chain on my new build and finish it.

Went to my lbs, put it on, got out and got on the bike.
But at the first crank...the hub slipped, like a full crank!
Went back in, we got the driver out aaand it turns out that my LHD hub has a RHD inner ring (not sure how you call them) and so, the paws will always slip when applying pressure because there's nothing to engage in...

I am just devastated sad
I got the hub from winstanleysbmx and I can already feel that it will take at least 1 month for the issue to be resolved.
I'll send them an e-mail, and I'll also email Colony about this, hopefully I'll get a new hub.

Anyway, this is how it looks:

Photo

Photo

|

12/10/2016 2:57 PM

Yeah you should get a new hub, its definitely their fault

|

12/10/2016 4:04 PM

can you put the pawls in the other way? sometimes the drivers allow that but I wouldn't know why that happened. They should atleast send you a new driver or something.

Also, that hub is pure trash. I had it and it was literally the worst hub ever. Slipped constantly and those stupid aluminum cone nuts stripped out whenever you would simply unthread them. I hate that stupid hub. Plus it isn't even like that light and it's annoying to lace since it has those different sized hub flanges and it makes a BAD sound. Like not even close to the elite sound, even though I never got it for the sound.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

12/10/2016 4:35 PM

@tiho yeah, Colony's fault. I just hope the winstanleysbmx guys will sort this out very quickly.
Also, I will have to pay when I'll send the old hub back, and rpay for the lacing of the wheel again, so I'm actually loosing about 30$ in best case scenario smile))

@MaximusBikes, we tried, the opposite holes are smaller sad

Really? :O
I heard that it is a good hub...
I'm thinking to ask for a refund, but 3 weeks have passed since I receive the package, not sure if I can still do that :-S

About the sound, yeah, it does sound weird smile) but mine is a weird hub, so... smile))

I'm so bummed about this sad

|

12/11/2016 12:02 AM

You should have 28 days at least to be able to return it and get a refund. It's a faulty product too so winstanleys should hook you up, it's colony's fault so winstanleys will just send the hub back to them and get their money back. They're a pretty good shop, I've never had issues with them. It sucks you'll be losing a bit of money, but at least you'll have it sorted.

Elites sound horrible. A friend of mine had them and hated the sound so much he only rode it once then bought a mini

|

12/14/2016 3:43 AM

Hi guys!

Just got word from winstanleys.

We have 2 options.
I send the hub back, and they'll give me a new one

Or, they can send me a RH driver, so that I can just flip the wheel and move the sprocket to make it RHD.

Now, the second option would be the fastest, cheapest and hassle free option.

But, there are 2 things that concern me:

- could the current ratchet ring be damaged from the inverse friction? I mean, that initial couple of cranks were pretty powerful, and now it sounds like a pretty bad grind sad

- I really liked the LHD setup

What do you guys think about the possibility of a damaged ratchet ring and what do you advise me to do?
ask for the new hub, or get the RH driver?

|

12/14/2016 6:05 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/14/2016 6:40 AM

Aw man I would be furious. My guess is the shop you bought it from tried to save money on mixing and matching parts. The driver might have been screwed and they threw in the wrong one to get it working and sell it. Bike shops pull crap like that all the time (not all but a lot). Don't give them the cheaper option. Get the bike you wanted with LHD and make them send you the whole hub. They should pay for return shipping of the crap hub too.

|

12/14/2016 11:45 PM

7plymaple wrote:

Aw man I would be furious. My guess is the shop you bought it from tried to save money on mixing and matching parts. The driver might have been screwed and they threw in the wrong one to get it working and sell it. Bike shops pull crap like that all the time (not all but a lot). Don't give them the cheaper option. Get the bike you wanted with LHD and make them send you the whole hub. They should pay for return shipping of the crap hub too.

Yeah, I asked them for a new hub, even though that means I'll have to wait a little longer.

It did came sealed though, so I think it's more Colony's fault smile)

|

12/15/2016 4:06 AM

Hi guys!

Quick Update
There is also a 3rd option now.
They have a Primo Remix V2 Cassette LHD on stock, that they can offer it to me and pay the difference.

What do you guys think?

Is the V2 a better hub than the Wasp?

|

12/15/2016 5:57 AM

I don't have experience with either. But the guy at my LBS said the V2 Remix has a driver that can be swapped to either LHD and RHD wich is cool... But he said the pawls blow up more often than the original Primo Mix cassette. Still I don't know if it's better than the colony or how bad it really is. He was trying to sell me a new old stock original primo mix at the time so take it with a grain of salt.

|

12/15/2016 6:51 AM

I'll stick with the wasp.
I'd have to buy new spokes, and it's more of a hassle to get the remix.
See you in 3 weeks or more smile)

|