So what's a good WIDE seat?

Related:
Create New Tag

2/23/2020 6:51 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/23/2020 6:52 AM

I did do a search a couple of different ways and didn't get a whole lot. I think two threads referred to 1 type of seat but now I forget which one it was..... LOL. But they were both from 2012.

Someone was claiming they're all made from the same place and just pick one.

Well, regardless, I'm not sure what a good wide one is. I can't seem to get a decent pinch on the seat I have when doing barspins. I've tried it in 3 different spots and I think it's just a bit too narrow. Where I got it now is pretty good but still feel a bit too narrow. It's pretty small so..... Stock Eastern Seat.

Just curious what the word is now on a good, wider seat. It's not like it has to be mammoth, just wider than the lil thing I got now.

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus.

2/23/2020 6:53 AM

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus.

2/23/2020 8:08 AM

|

2/23/2020 8:42 AM

Find a haro mirra seat

|

brakeless maniac

2/23/2020 9:43 AM

Raise your seat until you get it then lower it and realize you don't really need to pinch it.

|

2/23/2020 10:22 AM

is this for bar spins / knee pinching or sitting?

how wide is your seat now? Looks pretty fat from that picture.

|

2/23/2020 11:38 AM

|

fack off

2/23/2020 11:56 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/23/2020 11:57 AM

We have a few of these Haro Lineage Pivotal Seats in stock and available online at WWW.POWERSBIKESHOP.COM 😊🙌

|

Powers Bike Shop

100% BMX-Only Shop & Mail-Order in Richmond, Virginia

Check us out on social media! @powersbikeshop

2/23/2020 4:43 PM

I used to ride an aitken nightwolf seat that thing was rock solid , slipped pedals on a flip and bruised the hell out of my tailbone , switched to my united Stephen Murray seat and it is super comfy I don’t think I’ll ever get rid of it unless I break it

|

2/23/2020 5:54 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/23/2020 5:54 PM

Francky wrote:

That's awesome 😂

|

2/24/2020 8:39 AM

pnj wrote:

is this for bar spins / knee pinching or sitting?

how wide is your seat now? Looks pretty fat from that picture.

Well, regardless, I'm not sure what a good wide one is. I can't seem to get a decent pinch on the seat I have when doing barspins. I've tried it in 3 different spots and I think it's just a bit too narrow. Where I got it now is pretty good but still feel a bit too narrow. It's pretty small so..... Stock Eastern Seat.

Yeah, the photo doesn't make it look small. But in comparison to ones I've sat on like Kink complete bikes I think it's pretty much smaller than those. Not sure why the pic makes it look bigger.

I do like it to be comfy when I actually sit down to rest. But no, I'm not wanting it to be comfy to ride while sitting. I have it high but not THAT high.

|

2/24/2020 8:42 AM

I don't know if I wanna go as big as that haro mirra. That thing looks huge and heavy. Plus it's railed. I thought they made wide seats in a normal bmx type, non railed.....

|

2/24/2020 8:44 AM

4130Junkie wrote:

Raise your seat until you get it then lower it and realize you don't really need to pinch it.

Well I've been doing my spins (only 180) every day with this seat and I feel like I'm more controlled if I CAN pinch my seat. But I'm certainly new to all of this and maybe you're right.

|

2/24/2020 9:00 AM

seriously, raise your seat 'crazy' high.

Raise it so it sits between your knees, if your post is long enough.

Try some bar spins with it that high. Get the throw and catch down, then slowly lower the seat back to where you want it.

|

2/24/2020 9:06 AM

Fortyseven wrote:

I don't know if I wanna go as big as that haro mirra. That thing looks huge and heavy. Plus it's railed. I thought they made wide seats in a normal bmx type, non railed.....

The Mirra seat Powers posted is a pivotal configuration..

|

2/24/2020 9:07 AM

Fortyseven wrote:

i run the railed one, its a little heavy but sooooooo damn good

|

fack off

2/24/2020 10:36 AM

Ah, so they make both. Thanks guys. I might try to do what pnj said first. But it sure does feel good to have a seat there to help control, IMHO.

|

2/25/2020 5:37 AM

Fortyseven wrote:

I did do a search a couple of different ways and didn't get a whole lot. I think two threads referred to 1 type of seat but now I forget which one it was..... LOL. But they were both from 2012.

Just curious what the word is now on a good, wider seat. It's not like it has to be mammoth, just wider than the lil thing I got now.

If any still exist, the S&M director is both wider than the average seat and more comfortable as well. Basically a luxury bmx seat. Kinda doubt you can really find them anywhere as people who own them are definitely running them.

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

2/25/2020 8:13 AM

I notice on SourceBMX when shopping for seats when you click on spec they have three size. Normal, mid, and fat. So..... It does seem like it's a thing. Actually I forget what the first category. It's either slim or normal. Or something like that.

But other websites don't always specify what category they fall into, nor do they give dimensions. MIne is just under 5.5" wide and 9" long. I'm pretty sure it's just a normal sized bmx seat.

I found a seat I thought looked really cool but it's mostly out of stock except at this place called Oriol Bikes in CA. It's the Odyssey Mexican blanket seat. I think it's a bit wider than a normal seat and I love the way it looks.

|

2/25/2020 8:19 AM

S&M does have a wide seat on their site. They also have reasonably priced cranks that I might be interested in. Hmmmmmmmm………

|

2/25/2020 9:35 AM

how wide is the seat you have? give us a number..

I'm betting it's on the fatter side already..

|

2/25/2020 10:49 AM

|

2/25/2020 11:35 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/25/2020 11:37 AM

pnj wrote:

how wide is the seat you have? give us a number..

I'm betting it's on the fatter side already..

"just under 5.5" wide and 9" long"

I was going to recommend the S&M Fat Pivotal, but like pnj said, your seat already looks like a fat seat.

Eastern has it listed as "medium", though...

Another one to take a look at would be the Tree Fat Ergo Seat:
|

2/25/2020 11:43 AM

Well, if someone has has a tape measure and their bike handy, give us a width and see how they compare. So Eastern has mine as a mid. That's good to know. I'll definitely have to look for "fat" then. I'm guessing there is some differences though cuz like I said, the Kink seats on the Gap I'm pretty sure were wider. Or they just felt like they were.

|

2/25/2020 12:10 PM

I have a few 'fat' seats and they are all around 5.5" x 9"

I wouldn't want my seat any wider, honestly.

Did you raise your seat to the sky? Give it a try....

and don't forget to pinch your cranks with your heals too. Just PINCH erryting below your knees. including your knees.

|

2/25/2020 4:08 PM

pnj wrote:

and don't forget to pinch your cranks with your heals too. Just PINCH erryting below your knees. including your knees.

Same. I measured mine because I was curious. I have a bsd jonesin', eclat fat bois, and a fiend reynolds. They are all ~9x5.5.

|

2/27/2020 8:24 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/27/2020 8:28 AM

pnj wrote:

Yeah it did dawn on me I could pinch the cranks.... But I wasn't paying attention to that last night. It's kind of high now..... My left leg pretty much makes good contact cuz it's further back but my right leg doesn't get much of a pinch. I think when I actually throw the it does but when I'm lining myself up to do it my right leg doesn't really touch the seat.

I guess if I want fat I could by that Haro one..... Seems like there should be an inbetween. LOL. Thanks for measuring yours for me Rubio!

I find it funny how no one seems to put any dimensions on their site about the size...….. Especially the ones that are saying they are fat. You'd think they'd want you to know how fat is fat. I mean everything else in BMX has number size. Well, most stuff.....

|

2/27/2020 10:32 AM

if you can, raise your seat more.

play around with it super high for a day doing bar spins. Then drop it back down to where you want it.

There's no reason to make learning tricks harder than it has to be. and.. there's no rules so... go for it.

|

2/27/2020 10:52 PM

Fortyseven wrote:

Primo Pro seat.

|

2/28/2020 8:09 AM

pnj wrote:

if you can, raise your seat more.

play around with it super high for a day doing bar spins. Then drop it back down to where you want it.

There's no reason to make learning tricks harder than it has to be. and.. there's no rules so... go for it.

I think it's pretty good where it's at now. I debated on raising it a little more before last nights session but I left it. But it's weird, last night I feel like I got into a groove as to where my body needs to be and I felt like I pinched better. When I figured out I should be leaning over the bars more than I was, my legs seemed to go a bit more rearward and it seemed to work a little better. I was leaning too far back at times. I still think I might want to try a different seat but we'll see.... If I can find one that is just a bit wider, that might help a lot. Even if it's just a little.

Last night once I figured to lean over the bars a bit more I could actually land without grabbing the bars. But I only throw them 180 degrees at this point and not hopping fully. Just lifting the front. I'm waiting til I can go on the gravel path in the spring to try and hop 360 spins. LOL. I figured doing these is helping build up to that though. I did a bunch last night.

|