Socket drive Inserts for spline sprockets

Related:
Create New Tag

10/15/2019 3:41 AM

Someone should start making an insert that presses into spline drive sprockets (and replaces the original insert. Some of my favorite sprockets are spline drive but i cant use them , since i have twombolts.

|

I like riding my bike.

10/15/2019 3:52 AM

Socket drive has been and gone. I’m surprised spline drive has lasted as long as it has

|

10/15/2019 4:56 AM

bmxmanboy wrote:

Someone should start making an insert that presses into spline drive sprockets (and replaces the original insert. Some of my favorite sprockets are spline drive but i cant use them , since i have twombolts.

This would be great, however the socket drive is something like a 24mm or so, so a typical spline drive would not be bored out big enough unfortunately.

Tim actually drove the struggle bus on finding a socket drive adapter recently.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/15/2019 10:03 PM

To my understanding- that would not work with Bolt-Drive Twombolts because the space on the nonagon section of the spindle is necessary for those cranks to tighten up correctly.

As mentioned above, Socket Drive cranks have a larger, 25(ish)mm nonagon adapter integrated into the spindle behind the non-removable arm. Similar to the 15/16” shoulder on the Bolt-Drive models. So.. you can not mount a Socket-Drive sprocket to Bolt-Drive Wom/Twom/Thunderbolt cranks.

Or if you do have Socket Drive cranks, then maybe it would be possible to have said sprocket machined with the Socket Drive Interface? And do away with the adapter all together.
This could 100% be done with any Bolt-Drive Sprocket, however Im not positive about a Spline-Drive.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx