Solution to hubs that skip and skipping all together

Related:
Create New Tag

7/26/2013 8:48 PM

What are some ways to make the hub skip less and have less chance of ever skipping

|

Albes Is Rad!!!
Bike Check
YouTube
Instagram
Blood Life
Signature Trick : Foot Plant Whip
future FBM wrote: Finally once we can share a momen
andyferly wrote: OneEyeIlluminatiGuy has spoken.
These bars are officially stupid.

7/26/2013 8:53 PM

1.degreasing it and using light oil
2. degreasing and leaving dry
3. buy a hub that doesnt skip
oh and dont forget...all hubs skip from time to time

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

7/26/2013 9:00 PM

just take it apart and check everything....take it apart degrease everything and look at all the parts... if anything is even a tiny bit off replace it... i dont have much experience with a bunch of different hubs but i find it hard to believe it skips that much...

|

Deviant BMX store
Shirts and Iphone cases available soon! Check site for details!

7/26/2013 10:16 PM

it is true that all hubs skip eventually, but it should not happen often.. just take it apart.. apply a thin layer of grease all around it, then spray some chain lube on the pawls.. and spray it with chain lube every couple of months.. and while you have it apart, check to make sure the springs are working well and pawls are not sticking.. whatever you do, don't use wd-40 on it, and only apply a heavy grease to it moderately around the inner shell, but not to the pawls themselves or else they get really sticky.. use only chain lube if you want a louder hub.

|

Stupidity, outrage, vanity, cruelty, iniquity, bad faith, falsehood - we fail to see the whole array when it is facing in the same direction as we.
-- Jean Rostand

7/26/2013 10:36 PM

I know! haha maybe redesigning the springs yourself and making them like a little stronger or something. I dont know haha. Do what imma do, im sure itll work. Imma buy the Cult Match asap and just get like 2 sets of springs and pawls and just replace them after a while. haha and of course messing around with the grease and whatnot. Or buy a coaster, set it to as little slack as possible, and those dont slip really. I mean coasters go out after a bit, but i have never had one skip or something.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

7/26/2013 10:43 PM

Shitt, I have a wheel that is so fucked, I can pedal forward without the hub engaging, or moving.

|

Put in work.
Put in work.
Put in work.
Flacko put 'em in the dirt.

7/26/2013 10:59 PM

I tightened my wrap-around spring on my driver, degreased it, and used a tiny bit of light oil on all of the pawls and some on the ratchet. It's barely any oil but if I ever re-grease it, there's a chance it'll skip. I've had it skip twice throughout this whole year and it wasn't so bad. All my previous wheels skipped a couple more times but I used to run hubs fully greased throughout except the pawls and ratchet area so it was mad loud and everything.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

7/27/2013 5:04 AM

Skipping doesn't always happen because the internals are dirty. Sometimes it happens because the panels haven't fully engaged the next notch before you start to pedal. Everyone wants positive engagement every time, and one way to get it is to increase spring pressure, but that will also cause the internals to wear prematurely.

|

Refs: Tito24, RiverSideRider, Stussy, Nettyspaghetti, Daniel24, Freddydapice, BrokenBMX, SuperstarDK, HardBMX_Tim. There's more, but I'm too lazy to look them up, haha.

7/27/2013 5:32 AM

rape the shit outta that hub...

|

Bruh

7/27/2013 8:36 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/27/2013 8:38 AM

Zach P-D wrote:

rape the shit outta that hub...

Haha I usually do

But I'm thinking if I just make the springs have more spring to them won't that lessin the chances of skipping

Reason I'm asking is because I want to sell my remix wheel but I want to fix it up so I don't feel like I'm ripping someone off

Honestly how much should these go for, I'm including the kenda tires and tunes 2 BSD guards for the front, primo dsg and S&m cymbal guards for the rear, I paid around $560.00 for the wheels and hub guards

Photo

:Photo

Photo

Small ding on the flange

|

Albes Is Rad!!!
Bike Check
YouTube
Instagram
Blood Life

7/27/2013 8:45 AM

Prolly 250 shipped for set. 140 rear and 110 front. Bike parts don't hold value for shit

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

7/27/2013 8:55 AM

tomdon wrote:

Prolly 250 shipped for set. 140 rear and 110 front. Bike parts don't hold value for shit

Thanks, that sounds good to me hopefully I'll be able to sell them soon, trying to get a lighter wheel set for my girlfriends bike

|

Albes Is Rad!!!
Bike Check
YouTube
Instagram
Blood Life

7/27/2013 9:18 AM

Increasing spring pressure will absolutely result in a more positive engagement. That's just the way it works. However, if the ring has a groove in it, or the tips of the panels are worn, then increasing spring pressure won't help. Also, springs wear out. It doesn't hurt to give the springs a little tweak in the right direction from time to time, and it also doesn't hurt to have an extra set of springs around either.

|

Refs: Tito24, RiverSideRider, Stussy, Nettyspaghetti, Daniel24, Freddydapice, BrokenBMX, SuperstarDK, HardBMX_Tim. There's more, but I'm too lazy to look them up, haha.

7/27/2013 11:51 AM

Sounds good

|

Albes Is Rad!!!
Bike Check
YouTube
Instagram
Blood Life

7/27/2013 3:11 PM

Also, leaving the hub engaged when you set it down for the day helps a ton!! like not in between 2 clicks or something, that way the pawls arent pressed down for so long.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.