Spacers.

Related:
Create New Tag

8/6/2016 6:21 AM

I installed my s&m forks yesterday and with the top cap tightened all they way down it still has some movement. Guy at the park said I needed another spacer? What size spacer and is it for below the frame or above it by the stem?

|

8/6/2016 8:03 AM

It goes under the stem. 1 1/8" headset spacer

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

8/6/2016 8:04 AM

Or chop your steerer down

|

8/6/2016 8:07 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Or chop your steerer down

How would I chop it down? I don't wanna fuck it up lol. Should prob just buy a spacer. The compression bolt won't tighten down it just bottoms out and there's a tiny bit of slack

|

8/6/2016 8:31 AM

The easiest way would be to get another spacer the size depends on if your forks are sticking above your stem when u put the top cap on and people put them on the bottom if they like their bars to set higher

|

8/6/2016 8:35 AM

Yeah it's just like a hair to long so it tightens all the way down and still has a little slack. Not much at all tho

|

8/6/2016 10:48 AM

Use a saw guide and a saw, or a pipe cutter. If the height feels good as it is you could put a spacer on top of the stem instead of under it. But if there's a good few mm (more than 1 5mm spacer) I'd chop em down. Chopping a steerer is one of those things I just expect to have to do whenever I get new forks

|

8/6/2016 10:52 AM

How would I chop it down?

|

8/6/2016 11:52 AM

With a saw and saw guide, or pipe cutter

|

8/6/2016 1:19 PM

Get it out on quick or you can actually ovalize your headtube / forks like I did when I had my first complete and didn't know how important it was . Just use a spacer , cutting stuff is a pain and fucks warranty up .

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

8/6/2016 2:42 PM

S&m forks only have a 1 month manufacturing defect warranty anyway. And there's an intentional gap inbetween the threads so you can cut them down without ruining the thread.

However, as you plan on getting a new frame at some point, I'd use a spacer for now incase the headtube on the new frame is longer (I overlooked that bit before!). If your bars are the exact height you want them, put the spacer on top of the stem instead of under it

|