Spare Bike

Related:
Create New Tag

10/12/2015 10:07 PM

Been thinking about building a spare bike lately . Has anyone done this ?

Say for example , when my local shop orders a hub , and then doesn't have enough spokes on hand , or when I have a issue with the bike , I can use a spare right ?

I'm always wanting new parts but I need to learn to enjoy what I have instead of worrying about what parts I ride . So I think I might try and use all my spare parts I have around and build a bike off that .

I was just curious for suggestions , Steve told me having 2 bikes sucks but I want more . Basically I want my CK as my main and have that gold/black and potentially throw some brakes on and 2 pegs or even pegless and then build up a Cult Dak V2 , it seems like a dream frame to me , and use that as a spare and put on a free coaster and 4 pegs and have a street build or something and get that all blacked out.

Obviously a frame is a fair bit of money but other than a fork and a front wheel , and little things here and there , I have enough.

Thoughts ?

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

10/12/2015 11:23 PM

I've built a spare bike before... traded it for a laptop. Currently I have another spare built as well. I let my friend ride it before, and would like to sell it when I find someone actually interested in getting a bike that won't just trade it for a scooter next week. Current build is a Fit Team frame (Also have a random Cult frame I might put on instead) United? Forks, my old Animal bars, ODI grips & barends, Primo stem (Putting my old Cult one when I feel like it.), random headset bearings w/ Odyssey cap, Verde pivotal seat with random stock seat post I made into a wedge post, random BB, Premium sprocket, Mongoose cranks (lololol), Fit FAF-K tires, G-Sport Rollcage rims, BSD front/Primo Remix (Brand new) hubs & Shadow spokes.

Contemplated putting different wheels on it and selling it for really cheap since the wheels on it now are the best parts haha but idk.

I don't see the point in having 2 bikes though, I hate having to get used to any little thing on my bike and switching between 2 bikes would be a pain in the ass. Plus I don't ride trails so having a street setup & a trails setup would be pointless for me

|

10/12/2015 11:28 PM

I did that. Gotta spend my money on something.
Street ride with pegs, 25/9 gearing, hub with consistent but not insane engagement.
Blacked out bike for fast cruising and launching off stuff. Thinner tires, longer geo, no pegs, 27/9 gearing and really responsive engagement.
Having 2 bikes doesn't suck at all. I like having more stuff to customize and forcing myself to get comfortable with different setups to learn what I like most

|

My Ride
My Other Ride
I've sold stuff to Ecuadevil, LLURider, and Mario.villegas90 with no complaints.
IG: evildeadhands

10/13/2015 5:01 AM

If i had a spare bike it would be completely different to my main ride, i.e brake, pegless and a cassette just to switch things up and open different possibilities.

|

Bruh

10/13/2015 6:12 AM

multiple bikes are so awesome...especially when you build them radically different

|

It’s all bmx

10/13/2015 6:33 AM

I did it twice..........ended up selling them rather quickly as I always found myself riding my main bike.

|

Da Laird

unfuckwithable ill

Refs-brokenbmx, MaximusBikes, Brian_Griffin, Colonydirt94, Aebasher

10/13/2015 7:03 AM

I've had quite a few, the last one i gave to a friend hoping he'd ride it & fix the issues it has before riding. Instead he didn't fix any of it, rawed it out, quit riding it & started leaving it outside angry. I'll just sell my spare next time.

|

"It's like riding someone's bike and they got the same frame" -Four
Refs:Four x4,tomdon x5,Xxohioanxx,BigCurn, Don't remember the rest

10/13/2015 8:43 AM

I've got 2 spare bikes , a Guerra martyr with brakes gyro cassette and dirt jump tires, and one of mat hoffmans old condors , the condors autographed so I only ride it maybe once a year , it is handy to have a backup bike if you break something and have to wait to get something shipped in

|

10/13/2015 11:44 AM

I've done it a couple times. If you do it, make them different styled setups. IE street setup with pegs and a coaster, then a dirt setup with brakes etc.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/13/2015 2:48 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

I've done it a couple times. If you do it, make them different styled setups. IE street setup with pegs and a coaster, then a ...more

Yah that's my plan. I wouldn't be selling the bike , just switching it up . Like I said brakes and a cassette for the CK I think and then more tech street build .

I'm not really a trails guy what so ever but having a brake bike and then a coaster bike should be fun

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

10/13/2015 3:04 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

I've done it a couple times. If you do it, make them different styled setups. IE street setup with pegs and a coaster, then a ...more

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

Yah that's my plan. I wouldn't be selling the bike , just switching it up . Like I said brakes and a cassette for the CK I ...more

Do a front brake.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/17/2015 4:10 PM

I had a park/bowls/trails bike with lighter
/longer parts, skinnier faster tires, higher gear

Another more compact street bike, more spokes, beefier parts, tighter geometry, etc

|

wallride a bus everyday