Spending your money

Related:
Create New Tag

6/16/2017 6:31 PM

I have a very basic proficiency with bike mechanics. I can do the basics, put together a "complete" from the box, change tires/tubes, "true" a wheel as far as side to side wobble assuming the dish is good. Haven't fixed a hop or dished a wheel, brakes are a PITA but I think I can get it..? My question is, I spent $100 on a beater, and the rear wheel is way out and needs two spokes. I think the chanistays or drop outs may be bent, but as a member mentioned it could all be due to the rear wheel damage.?

I would like to get this bike spruced up a bit but don't want to put real money into a $100 bike. I know for sure the rear wheel is bad. I can either take it to my local shop and have them go over it OR I can buy a new rear wheel. I'm sure the rear wheel will be more than a trip to the local shop...but my shop is $$$...soooo I was thinking buy a new Odyssey rear, put that on my Fly Orion as an upgrade and take the Fly rear and put it on the beater. At least that way the money spent results in new parts. If I take it to the shop I'm looking at $20 "to true a wheel but it depends on how bad it is", I need spokes and likely getting the hub re-centered too.?

I plan to take it by the shop tomorrow and have them give me an estimate, but if I'm going to be in for $75-$100 from the shop I figure I should just start buying new parts.? What do y'all think?

|

6/16/2017 6:34 PM

Is it worth putting in the effort into the wheel you have now? Itd be one thing if its dependable and just needs fixing, another if its an absolute pain to deal with.

|

6/16/2017 6:55 PM

Super-Pawl wrote:

Is it worth putting in the effort into the wheel you have now? Itd be one thing if its dependable and just needs fixing, another if its an absolute pain to deal with.

I don't have the knowledge to know.? I do know that the rear wheel needs a good bit of work/$$...IF my local shop is doing it. I'm sure lots of y'all could buy a few spokes and fix it right up. Like I said, I'm okay with tightening/loosening spokes to get the wheel spinning level, not counting hops or hubs out of center. Really all I think it needs is a rear wheel that doesn't rub the brakes- either wheels or frame, and a new brake cable/pads. everything else seems ok for what I paid for it. I'd hate to put money into this bike for just mechanical repairs, keeping the old parts, and then have issues crop up if buying a new part would solve the issue. Keeping in mind I would upgrade my 2016 Fly Orion and use the stock parts from it on this bike...?

|

6/16/2017 7:09 PM

Super-Pawl wrote:

Andy_T wrote:

I don't have the knowledge to know.? I do know that the rear wheel needs a good bit of work/$$...IF my local shop is doing it. I'm sure lots of y'all could buy a few spokes and fix it right up. Like I said, I'm okay with tightening/loosening spokes to get the wheel spinning level, not counting hops or hubs out of center. Really all I think it needs is a rear wheel that doesn't rub the brakes- either wheels or frame, and a new brake cable/pads. everything else seems ok for what I paid for it. I'd hate to put money into this bike for just mechanical repairs, keeping the old parts, and then have issues crop up if buying a new part would solve the issue. Keeping in mind I would upgrade my 2016 Fly Orion and use the stock parts from it on this bike...?

Honestly I would say if the rim seems ok and the hub spins smoothly etc, it might be worth sinking a couple spokes and a truing into it.

IF it is mangled, I would toss the money into a wheel for your main ride, and pass the stock wheel down to this other setup. That way if you have issues, or a homie needs a spare part, you have it.

I used to do that all the time. I would upgrade the main setup and then trickle parts down to backup stuff.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

6/16/2017 11:30 PM

If it's a shit bike maybe tinker with it so you can improve your skills , but if it's a shit show I wouldn't even bother touching it

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

6/16/2017 11:36 PM

Ive got a stolen rotater for sale. Good condition. I'll have a bunch of stuff up for sale this weekend. Here and eBay. I could let that go for like $50. It would be a nice upgrade from what you have now.

|

6/16/2017 11:44 PM

If they're charging you to true the wheel, it will come back to you true and dished. They might charge a couple of extra $ for the spokes. The price depends how badly buckled it is? Well, it's either trueable or it isn't. It should be a flat rate really.

However, your idea of buying a wheel for your other bike makes sense too.

|

6/17/2017 12:14 PM

Took the bike up to the shop today, guy said they'd true the wheel for $25. When I mentioned two broken spokes he said the labor to replace spokes is $40+ $2 a spoke. He said the entire job would be around $45-$50, no way I was paying that. I think at this point I may just buy some spokes and try to fix it myself. Don't want to put too much $$$ into this particular bike, like Brayden mentioned above, I guess I'll use it to learn to do the work myself.

|

6/17/2017 2:30 PM

Youtube has a few good vids on there about wheel building. Learning to fix it yourself is the best option if you are willing to put in the effort in my opinion.

|

Fo' pegs or no pegs

6/17/2017 5:36 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/17/2017 6:08 PM

Yeah that's crazy. That's why it's a good idea to learn everything yourself. I mean with the internet nowadays, you can learn anything

|

6/17/2017 6:40 PM

I'd say it wouldn't hurt to try and fix it. As stated above, it's always great to learn how to fix parts, it'll save money down the road when problems arise elsewhere and you won't have to take it to a shop.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

6/17/2017 6:56 PM

Take a picture of the bike and put it on here and that will deter whether it is worth it or you should start fresh

|

Refs: Future FBM, Warchol2 WtfKennethXp Riversiderider TCbmx Riversiderider JakeSalbert

6/18/2017 11:38 AM

[LINK TO IMAGE]

Here's the bike in question, Fit Aitken. I think I'm going to pull the parts and build up a Fly Geo frame I picked up today.
|

6/18/2017 11:55 AM

Andy_T wrote: [LINK TO IMAGE]

Here's the bike in question, Fit Aitken. I think I'm going to pull the parts and build up a Fly Geo frame I picked up today.

Yeah, that bike isn't really worth putting too much money into. It likes like there's been a couple of upgrades that might be worth looking at. That's a nice looking seat, and a guarded sprocket?

|

6/18/2017 2:23 PM

Andy_T wrote: [LINK TO IMAGE]

grumpySteve wrote:

Yeah, that bike isn't really worth putting too much money into. It likes like there's been a couple of upgrades that might be worth looking at. That's a nice looking seat, and a guarded sprocket?

Good eye GS, yeah, the seat, guarded sprocket, SC V2 chain, SC stem, SC captive fork, SC front wheel, and the cranks will be used to build up the Fly Geo I just got. All these parts are pretty old though, so the plan would be gradually replace them with newer parts for the Fly and then take the old parts and put the Aitken back together.?

|

6/18/2017 8:18 PM

That's not a bad bike to build on. New frame, cranks, and back tire or wheel depending what it is would be choice

|

Refs: Future FBM, Warchol2 WtfKennethXp Riversiderider TCbmx Riversiderider JakeSalbert