Spline Drive Hub Driver?

Related:
Create New Tag

12/14/2013 5:41 PM

So I had this thought... It was about, since spline drive sprockets work so well, whether they are aluminum or steel... what about getting a "Toothed Shell", basically what it is, is a driver shell that goes over the actual driver... in other words. you can change the tooth size of your gearing easier, all you would do is...

1. take the axle nut off the drive side of the axle as well as the washer.
2. remove the cone nut as well
3. slide the driver shell off of the axle and remove the grease.

about number 3. how the splines are set in place? basically since you have a separate shell with the driver teeth on it. instead you have a whole driver setup but without the actual area with teeth, you have a set of splines, not too long nor short, and those splines are cnc machined along with the rest of the driver. so kind of like a crank spindle, the driver has splines and like the crank, the driver shell has an amount of corresponding splines, not so much as a 48 spline but maybe a little less, maybe a 40 or 42 spline, to add some extra grab. although the driver will be made of chromoly generally to decrease wear and tear.

4. after installing a different driver shell re-install the cone nut to hold everything in place, but before doing so, grease the splines with a small amount to prevent seizing.
5. re install the axle nut and washer as normal
6. install the wheel but do not tighten too much, this is to check the spin, smoothness, and for any non rotational play.

I think with a little more thought and description that COULD be a good idea because some drivers from the same company do not come in certain sizes (probably because of cost issues) and with just machining a shell and splined driver, it might be more user friendly.

|

Welp, broke past 1000... yeeeee

My Youtube / RainBMX
My Insta / What_Is_Barspin

12/14/2013 5:46 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/14/2013 5:48 PM

Or you could just buy another goddamn driver and not worry about the splines stripping out. Easier and most likely more cost effective overall.

With this, the force would have to go through the spline system and then through the pawls into the ratchet ring. Pretty inefficient and just unneeded.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

12/14/2013 5:49 PM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

Or you could just buy another goddamn driver and not worry about the splines stripping out. Easier and most likely more cost effective overall.

With this, the force would have to go through the spline system and then through the pawls into the ratchet ring. Pretty inefficient and just unneeded.

I knew I would immediately get somewhat bad feedback, well I guess you're right, It WAS just a thought, but I should think of all sides of an idea first....

|

My Youtube / RainBMX

12/14/2013 5:50 PM

James_Letten17 wrote:

I knew I would immediately get somewhat bad feedback, well I guess you're right, It WAS just a thought, but I should think of all sides of an idea first....

I mean its good to be thinking it's just unneeded. Easier to just get another driver. If a company won't make bigger drivers, they're not gonna make bigger spline drive drivers either.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

12/14/2013 5:52 PM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

James_Letten17 wrote:

Xxohioanxx wrote:

I mean its good to be thinking it's just unneeded. Easier to just get another driver. If a company won't make bigger drivers, they're not gonna make bigger spline drive drivers either.

well my main thought was the whole 1 piece driver machining type thing, machining a fatter/smaller driver a bunch of times, when you could just keep the same driver, and switch out the teeth... somewhat like a cog but not exactly

|

My Youtube / RainBMX

12/14/2013 6:06 PM

Ahh not a bad idea. Youd need some mighty small bearings in the driver part for it to work well but this is easily doable. I dont think it is super necessary though. Why do you need to change the gear ratio more than once? Its like a flip flop hub in BMX why do you need a LHD/RHD. Are you gonna be like, "well i guess it is time to ride a different foot forward... good thing my hub can change!" Except with this it is "damn i wanna change this out bc it is hard to pedal!" Usually you jusg get a sprocket for that.

I like this idea though. Itd kill some sprocket selling though. haha

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

12/15/2013 5:55 AM

They don't have these for like 11 or 12t and below but they already have this for racing. Photo

Photo

|

BIKESBIKESBIKESBIKESBIKESBIKESBIKESBIKESBIKESBIKESBIKESBIKESBIKES

12/15/2013 8:42 AM

Sounds like standard cassette cogs.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura