Spline Drive benefits and info?

Related:
Create New Tag

9/7/2014 9:34 PM

Hey there as you know i have been looking for some new cranks to buy and have settled with the new fit indents in 24mm spindle.
One question has been rolling in my mind. Should i get the boss-less version?

Can you still run a spline drive spindle on a crank with sprocket boss's?
What are the benefits of spline drive? One idea that i can come across is the fact that alot of my sprockets end up with a slight bend in them due to being secured on only one side which can cause miss alignment and tight spots in the chain.

I know there aren't many spline drive sprockets in 24mm and i'm fine with that knowing that eclat would make one (or already have) and the fit one seems pretty good.

Thanks in advance for any help

|

The first breath is the beginning of death

9/7/2014 9:36 PM

apparently spline drive eliminates tight spots
cant you get normal indents and run them with an sd sprocket?

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

9/7/2014 9:38 PM

The idea of 24 is dope but you're pretty limited , sprockets and bb but all bb's are the same so no big deal there , I would say go for it

|

refs:spikez-mikelee-ScramHype-CGcaps-Droogskull-Blake El Gingero-hcpmichael

9/7/2014 9:45 PM

Yes you can run a spline drive sprocket on a crank with a sprocket boss, and personally I would get ones with bosses in case you ever wanna switch it up, or end up selling them later on down the road and it'll make it easier to sell just the cranks.

and advantages of them..

-eliminates tight spots apparently, but uneven chain stretch can still cause those.
-smoother pedaling too apparently, but idk how true that is. just what I've read, never rode spline drive.
-one less bolt to come loose on your bike
-I'm sure there's more, but just what I can think of offhand

disadvantages...

-splines can wear out, then you're kinda fucked there.
-harder to sell if you ever wanna get rid of it maybe? idk haha.
-harder to install I think
-not sure what else.

so really there's more advantages (in my opinion) so yeah.

|

9/7/2014 10:01 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/18/2014 9:15 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Yes you can run a spline drive sprocket on a crank with a sprocket boss, and personally I would get ones with bosses in case ...more

i think 24mm spindles are less likely to wear out because of the size of the splines
i mean, if you arent a complete idiot just get thunderbolts bruh /s :D
(/s denotes sarcasm)

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

9/7/2014 10:04 PM

bmxsteve99 wrote:

apparently spline drive eliminates tight spots
cant you get normal indents and run them with an sd sprocket?

Thats what i'm asking. Do i have to use bossless cranks to use spline drive of is it fine to use just the normal ones. Dont know if sline drive sprocket are thicker at the bass or something,

|

9/7/2014 10:08 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Yes you can run a spline drive sprocket on a crank with a sprocket boss, and personally I would get ones with bosses in case ...more

Alright thanks for that. really cleared it up for me.

So i can run spline drive on a sprocket bolt cranks. so i'll get the bossed one so i can also continue to run my speedfreak sprocket if i wish to in the future.

Cheers guys

|

9/8/2014 8:42 AM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

they are most definitely a bitch to get the sprocket on

|

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "

9/8/2014 9:24 AM

If you get the bossless Indent Cranks they are actually quite a bit lighter than the 3 piece version.

Also, install is very easy as the Fit Key or Key Guard Spline drive sprockets are made for those cranks and they just slide right on.

|

Chris

www.bmxtransition.com
Canadian BMX Mailorder
Instagram: @transitionbmx

9/8/2014 10:42 AM

I just got the bossless 24mm indents a few weeks ago. i run the key sprocket with them. I like how solid they feel and i doubt they will ever get that spline drive wobble just because of how ridiculously tight everything fits together.
My only issue with the cranks is they were a bitch to install. yes, i installed the spacer. yes, it was the perfect size. It was installed in a brand new frame. with that being said, pushing the spindle thru the bottom bracket requires a surprising amount of force (i used a mallet). after they were installed, the cranks didn't like to spin very well. They spin freely enough that you don't notice the resistance when pedaling but crankflips would probably be pretty hard. about 3 weeks later, they still haven't broken in much. they spin better but still not great. I am only speaking for myself as I don't know if anybody else had this problem. regardless, i would still recommend them. on the bright side, i haven't had to tighten the pinch bolt since installation compared to my 19mm cranks that i had to tighten every session.

|

selling refs: see profile
Instagram
bike check

9/8/2014 11:13 AM

i also use the Fit Bossless 24s with the Key Drive sprocket. i had no issues with installing. GREASE GREASE GREASE. use it. the sprocket went right on, everything was clean and easy. as mentioned above, at first the cranks seemed a bit tight, but once they break in they are fine.

as far as spline drive goes, it solved one of my biggest aggravations which was tight/loose spots in the chain. i absolutely hate that and it makes the bike feel junky. it sucks. spline drive fixed it 100%. and yes, pedaling does seem a lot smoother, though some might say its all in your head.

probably one of my fav set cranks ive ever owned. super solid. smooth, simple. ive used many different cranks and these by far FEEL the best. thats just my personal opinion though. im spline drive for life now.

|

bikes destroy vlogs.

ref: slade_vincent, shutta, ecuadevil, theprophet, blackmammoth, sfb, element4all, bmx-junkie, kurtnut, nickg, jessebmx, dontDELETE, krbmx17, ninjacat, freddydapice, waanng, ivan, scramhype, motogrizz, tomdon, dream, hatebreeder, noendinsight666, asilva, wolfen, superstarDK, skubasteve, aebasher, many more.

9/8/2014 11:21 AM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

You can also put a spacer between the sprocket and crank arm to get better chain alignment AND frame clearance.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

9/8/2014 8:13 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/8/2014 8:14 PM

Yep, everything else said. I've been running a spline drive sprocket for the past 3 years now.. Just switched back from a year of an MDS. It's so much smoother and for some reason, I don't really worry about spline wear all too much. Installation and removal is easy if you use enough grease and the splines are broken in pretty well, enough to where you can slide your crank arm and sprocket on and off by hand.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

9/8/2014 8:24 PM

I still would get the Odyssey Equivalent. They have that one system that works better. Like socket drive or whatever. It is probably better and you can get other sprockets too. I never had the tight spots with my thunderbolts because everything fits together how it should haha

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.