22mm Spline Drive insert loose on Spindle?

Related:
Create New Tag

1/9/2018 10:12 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/2/2018 7:39 AM

I've heard of spline drive sprockets being a pain in the ass to install, but this one went on smooth as a butter and wobbles all about.. It's a Mutiny 22mm Socket Drive insert in a La Gardia sprocket (fits snug in the sprocket,) on United Nash v2 cranks.

It catches on the splines but I'm concerned that it's going to strip the second I start pedaling.. too small to be 15/16", but just barely too big to be a perfect 22mm..

Has anyone had a similar problem? Hopefully Empire or Mutiny can get me sorted..
Really hoping they're not all like this, as I can't really afford to have a custom adapter made right now.
Here's a video.
Anotha one (video)

Conclusion;
Socket Drive has been discontinued due to this exact issue that I have been having. There are THREE different styles of splines used by different companies for 22mm Cranks & Sprockets. My advice for picking out a 22mm Spline Drive Sprocket is to pick one made by the same company as your cranks, otherwise there's no guarantee that they will fit together. Or, simply, just ride bolt-drive.

My experience with getting a spline drive set up together has been horrible. Next time I will just go with Bolt Drive.. (details in the comments)

Also, United no longer distributes to America.

Update: 2months later & I'm about to be returning these cranks AGAIN. Even United doesn't make a sprocket compatible with their own cranks. Super disappointed.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

1/9/2018 10:46 AM

I'd be worried too. I don't have any experience with them but once everything is bolted up, I don't think there should be ANY play. Especially between splines.

|

1/9/2018 10:49 AM

So Empire checked their remaining stock of adapters on a bunch of different 22mm cranks. They all fit snug on some cranks, but not on others.

I guess they use different shaped splines or something?..

Utterly let down that I bought all these new parts for them to not work together...

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon

1/9/2018 10:54 AM

My 22mm spline drive Odyssey Fang fits nice and snug on my 22mm Shadow Killer Cranks...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

1/9/2018 11:07 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

My 22mm spline drive Odyssey Fang fits nice and snug on my 22mm Shadow Killer Cranks...

What adapter are you using? My Odyssey La Gardia only came with a 19mm adapter, so I had to buy the 22mm Mutiny one.

I called Source and they're going to look around for a spare 22mm United adapter tomorrow, and check it on the Nash cranks to make sure it fits snug.

I just think its crazy that some cranks use different splines than others.. I would think they would all be the same.

Also, @ Brayden, I now disregard my comment in your thread about your 22mm Spline Drive not fitting. It is now confirmed that different companies do use different splines..

|

1/9/2018 11:10 AM

maybe get a united spline drive sprocket? surely it would be solid since they are from the same company?

|

It’s all bmx

1/9/2018 11:18 AM

Don't get anything spline drive unless it is from Tree. I ruined a TI spindle installing a S&M spline drive.

|

FI

1/9/2018 11:20 AM

adamnmexican wrote:

maybe get a united spline drive sprocket? surely it would be solid since they are from the same company?

That's what I'm thinking. I'm trying to get my hands on just an adapter from a United sprocket, but if that doesn't work I guess I don't have a choice but to buy a whole nother sprocket just for the adapter..

|

1/9/2018 11:25 AM

fede/bmx1 wrote:

Don't get anything spline drive unless it is from Tree. I ruined a TI spindle installing a S&M spline drive.

Well apparently there's 2 different types of splines, so Tree is only compatible with one of those different types.

I'm beginning to regret buying bossless cranks..

|

1/9/2018 11:30 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/9/2018 11:32 AM

fede/bmx1 wrote:

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Well apparently there's 2 different types of splines, so Tree is only compatible with one of those different types.

I'm ...more

What kinda cranks are you using? If you are using Profile: go ahead and purchase the Tree Spline Drive Sprocket. For some reason other spline drive mechanisms are not exact.

|

FI

1/9/2018 11:34 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/9/2018 11:36 AM

fede/bmx1 wrote:

What kinda cranks are you using? If you are using Profile: go ahead and purchase the Tree Spline Drive Sprocket. For some ...more

Did you even read the post?

United Nash v2 22mm cranks & a Mutiny Spline Drive adapter.

& I'm not going to purchase another new sprocket, let alone one that I don't even want, over a $10 adapter.. If United doesn't make an appropriate adapter for their own parts, there's going to be hell to pay..

|

1/9/2018 11:39 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

I'm ...more

fede/bmx1 wrote:

What kinda cranks are you using? If you are using Profile: go ahead and purchase the Tree Spline Drive Sprocket. For some ...more

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Did you even read the post?

United Nash v2 22mm cranks & a Mutiny Spline Drive adapter.

& I'm not going to purchase ...more

I skimmed through it.

Then best of luck to you, sir. Have a wobbly sprocket then.

|

FI

1/9/2018 11:42 AM

Of course it's not gna fit. Chinese shit is never made to precision.

|

FI

1/9/2018 11:57 AM

fede/bmx1 wrote:

If that was the case, then my crank arm would wobble and slide on without an installation tool aswell..

Different cranks use different sized splines, it has nothing to do with precision. Mutiny obviously uses different splines than United, hence why I'm having an issue. If I had Mutiny cranks, I would be fine. If I had a United Spline Drive adapter, I would also be fine.

You wanna know why you ruined your Ti spindle? Because you tried to force a sprocket with larger splines (like the United) onto a spindle meant for smaller splines (like the Mutiny.) Literally the opposite of my issue.

In your very first comment you admitted to ruining an American made spindle with an American made sprocket, how's that for precision?whistling And then proceeded to tell me to buy another Taiwanese made sprocket, even though you claim they're not precise?dizzy

|

1/9/2018 12:00 PM

fede/bmx1 wrote:

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

If that was the case, then my crank arm would wobble and slide on without an installation tool aswell..

Different cranks use ...more

TLDR

|

FI

1/9/2018 12:04 PM

fede/bmx1 wrote:

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

fede/bmx1 wrote:

TLDR

What you mean to say is, I'm right and you're still unable prove a valid point?

tongue

|

1/9/2018 12:07 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

You may be right about the different spindle thing.

Tree is not Taiwanese.

If you know the answer already, then......

|

FI

1/9/2018 12:07 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/9/2018 12:09 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

What you mean to say is, I'm right and you're still unable prove a valid point?

tongue

Means I don't have time for this shit, kid.
Also means that there is no need to get riled up. We're both discussing valid points. Calm down. Wtf.

|

FI

1/9/2018 12:10 PM

fede/bmx1 wrote:

Means I don't have time for this shit, kid.
Also means that there is no need to get riled up. We're both discussing valid ...more

Then why are you replying so quickly?

Seems to me like you're staring at this screen waiting for my every response.

What's up w the attitude? Are you offended by my internet comments?

|

1/9/2018 12:11 PM

This is why I'll be sticking with bolt drive. If it ain't broke...

|

1/9/2018 12:15 PM

fede/bmx1 wrote:

You may be right about the different spindle thing.

Tree is not Taiwanese.

If you know the answer already, then......

I'm best friends with the guy who was running Tree for the past few years up until August/September.

Just like both Mutiny and United, Tree is an American company that has their parts manufactured in Taiwan.

Tree used to make their own parts in the US, but that was many years ago.

|

1/9/2018 12:18 PM

ggallin422 wrote:

This is why I'll be sticking with bolt drive. If it ain't broke...

Wishing these cranks weren't bossless. I see why they were on sale now.pinch

Also, according to Empire, Socket Drive has been discontinued by all the companies who used it. Now I'm worried that it's just a shit design all together.

|

1/9/2018 12:19 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/9/2018 12:19 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

I'm best friends with the guy who was running Tree for the past few years up until August/September.

Just like both Mutiny ...more

Word

|

FI

1/9/2018 12:19 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Then why are you replying so quickly?

Seems to me like you're staring at this screen waiting for my every response.

What's ...more

Interwebz thug 850

|

FI

1/9/2018 12:24 PM

fede/bmx1 wrote:

Interwebz thug 850

U dam rite sucka don't 4get tit

|

1/9/2018 2:07 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

What adapter are you using? My Odyssey La Gardia only came with a 19mm adapter, so I had to buy the 22mm Mutiny one.

I called ...more

I'm just using the Odyssey one... I called Empire when I ordered my sprocket and I said I needed the 22mm insert for it... so that's what I have with it... that sucks it doesn't fit, but make some calls and I bet you'll get it figured out Tim!smile

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

1/9/2018 2:10 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

I'm just using the Odyssey one... I called Empire when I ordered my sprocket and I said I needed the 22mm insert for it... so ...more

I'm assuming they probably swapped it for a Mutiny one since they keep those in stock. Odyssey doesn't have their own 22mm inserts, only 19mmermm

|

1/9/2018 2:19 PM

Oh look, a 'Murica supremacist.

|

1/9/2018 2:22 PM

jbales wrote:

Oh look, a 'Murica supremacist.

Are you implying that non-americans can make bike parts? If so, I'm offended.

grin grin

|

1/9/2018 2:40 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Are you implying that non-americans can make bike parts? If so, I'm offended.

grin grin

You know who I aimed that at. Lol

|